COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Why you should NOT expect to reach week 52.

If this game is as realistic with death as we think it is, then death will happen all the time.

Type 1-Disease- By far the largest killer in RL for the vast majority of Human existence. Any illness or infection could be life or death. Be prepared for Pandemics that kill off all or most of towns or cities. For your player to just end up sick and die a few days or hours after.

Estimated percent of population dead as a result 50%

Type 2-War- Easily the second most mortal thing in existence for humans. Wars will be constant and deadly. Its just a fact, if you are called to fight you will have a 50% chance of survival on even playing field. Based on numbers or skill that will go up or down. Execution is included due to death by government,

Estimated percent of population dead as a result 30%

Type 3-Accidents- Now we reach the "minor" accidents will happen either through work, exploring (oops fell off a mountain) or boat crashes. (cause perma). Thus the rich will have a much less likely chance of dying due to accidents.

Estimated percent of population dead as a result 10%

Type 4-Murder- Its a man kill man world out their. If your lucky not to get killed by 1-3 its likely that someone or some group will catch you alone or with a small group of friends and kill you just for the fun of it. This is the most likely type of death for the rich. In 2018 some places have 1 per 1000 murder rate, so back in the dark/middle ages it would be much worse

Estimated percent of population dead as a result 5%

Type 5-Animal Attack- Explorers/hunters this is for you. Basically their is a medium chance of death by animal if you are hunting/exploring unincorporated lands but if not then practically 0% chance. No rich person will die this way.

Estimated percent of population dead as a result 2%

So I think at best 3% at least the first few RL years will reach old age. But life will likely be brutish and short.

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

12/4/2018 10:21:14 PM #1

Lol.

Those figures seem to guarantee either a rapid extinction of Mann, or of CoE's business case, or both.

Small chance of success, certainty of death ... what are we waiting for?

grins

Nah ...

12/4/2018 10:24:46 PM #2

Posted By AlteOgre at 5:21 PM - Tue Dec 04 2018

Lol.

Those figures seem to guarantee either a rapid extinction of Mann, or of CoE's business case, or both.

Small chance of success, certainty of death ... what are we waiting for?

grins

Nah ...

A realistc game. I mean people might reach the 30s or 40s week wise lol. Does not mean people dying in first month or 2 (unless constantly fighting)

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

12/4/2018 10:32:47 PM #3

As I plan to be a Dras Alchemist that doesn't too often leave the city. I scoff at the majority of your list, and expect to survive At Least the 52 week average. Good day sir.

12/4/2018 10:45:57 PM #4

Are those estimates based on real life medieval rates? If so:

Considering how at least one of the religions encourages assassinations and players being more willing to break rules in a game than in real life then I would say the murder rate might be somewhat higher.

Also, because of how rigid the requirement for a casus belli is and the possible consequences of ignoring it battlefield/war scenario's might not be as common as it was in real life. Though you might see more viking-like raids which are more anonymous and less of an open declaration of war.

Europe's disease death tolls also got artificially bumped during the middle ages because of the burning of cats as witch familiars. This is believed to have contributed heavily to the rat populations spiraling out of control, which carried both disease and lice (an even more potent spreader of disease) around. As long as Elyrians aren't idiots that kill off their main pest control pets then it shouldn't be as bad as 50%.

Either way, I agree that reaching 52 weeks is going to at least be uncommon, even if Labbe thinks he won't have any accidents while making his poisons. However, since most of these things only reduce your lifespan then the most common type of death in Elyria will still be age (or running out of spark if you prefer).

Still, I think this is a good enough post, so +1 from me. :3

12/4/2018 10:48:39 PM #5

Without life expectancy ages these percentages are of pretty limited value, but I take your point as well made.

I just want to point out that War won't be killing people... I will be.

12/4/2018 11:01:19 PM #6

where did you get those statistics from? they're quite inaccurate, most death in premodern times occured before the age of 5, if you made it to 18 you could expect to live untill your 50s+

12/4/2018 11:07:28 PM #7

Posted By Maegor at 6:01 PM - Tue Dec 04 2018

where did you get those statistics from? they're quite inaccurate, most death in premodern times occured before the age of 5, if you made it to 18 you could expect to live untill your 50s+

Its based off historical facts and game play style. Due to it not being real life I think some things will happen more often then we expect.

12/4/2018 11:22:53 PM #8

To be fair, it is accurate that fifty percent or more of children would die of disease before the age of five. People had enough kids that the population still grew, but there were times when people didn't even bother to name their child until they were three or so because the odds they would die were that great.

I have to say, I am not looking for this level of realism in COE. That would just be gratuitous.

12/4/2018 11:29:59 PM #9

Posted By Sackeshi at

If this game is as realistic with death as we think it is, then death will happen all the time.

Type 1-Disease- By far the largest killer in RL for the vast majority of Human existence. Any illness or infection could be life or death. Be prepared for Pandemics that kill off all or most of towns or cities. For your player to just end up sick and die a few days or hours after.

Estimated percent of population dead as a result 50%

Type 2-War- Easily the second most mortal thing in existence for humans. Wars will be constant and deadly. Its just a fact, if you are called to fight you will have a 50% chance of survival on even playing field. Based on numbers or skill that will go up or down. Execution is included due to death by government,

Estimated percent of population dead as a result 30%

Type 3-Accidents- Now we reach the "minor" accidents will happen either through work, exploring (oops fell off a mountain) or boat crashes. (cause perma). Thus the rich will have a much less likely chance of dying due to accidents.

Estimated percent of population dead as a result 10%

Type 4-Murder- Its a man kill man world out their. If your lucky not to get killed by 1-3 its likely that someone or some group will catch you alone or with a small group of friends and kill you just for the fun of it. This is the most likely type of death for the rich. In 2018 some places have 1 per 1000 murder rate, so back in the dark/middle ages it would be much worse

Estimated percent of population dead as a result 5%

Type 5-Animal Attack- Explorers/hunters this is for you. Basically their is a medium chance of death by animal if you are hunting/exploring unincorporated lands but if not then practically 0% chance. No rich person will die this way.

Estimated percent of population dead as a result 2%

So I think at best 3% at least the first few RL years will reach old age. But life will likely be brutish and short.

I like how you thought this out in detail and you do make valid points. I think it depends on your play style and tribe selection as well as environment.

To Labbe's point, being a Dras: (Disease Immunity - Living around decay has caused them to develop total immunity to all known diseases) eliminates number 1 and most likely number 5 (due to not leaving town that much).

Chances are he will die to old age instead :P

12/5/2018 12:10:04 AM #10

Unless people don't ever expect to leave what cities they start in. While getting lucky on that town never get hit by some disease. I doubt most are expecting they get a full life all the time. Personally I be happy getting 6 months.

I also doubt it be as bad as you are thinking. It's a game after all. Even if they wanna go realistic, they don't wanna go too far where people are dying every 2 months, assuming they are trying to stay safe. Would just put people off, since they really never get anywhere.

12/5/2018 2:56:17 AM #11

Don't forget, a "death" just means you're spirit walking back to your body and you take a hit in your lifespan. Amounts lost will vary depending on fame, I believe, but it's more on the level of days rather than weeks for the average player. The only insta-death mechanics so far (that I'm aware of) are dying at sea and being killed by a supernatural entity like a vampire. And vampires don't exist. ;)

12/5/2018 3:01:31 AM #12

Posted By Trug at 6:56 PM - Tue Dec 04 2018

Don't forget, a "death" just means you're spirit walking back to your body and you take a hit in your lifespan. Amounts lost will vary depending on fame, I believe, but it's more on the level of days rather than weeks for the average player. The only insta-death mechanics so far (that I'm aware of) are dying at sea and being killed by a supernatural entity like a vampire. And vampires don't exist. ;)

Hadn't heard that vampires killing you off was a permadeath.

Definitely Volcanoes though. If we find a Volcano, I am not the one who will explore it.

12/5/2018 3:12:52 AM #13

You're basing this on "real world" statistics which is not possible.

While the game will be realistic there are also elements of fantasy. For instance, medical knowledge will, likely, be much more advanced, or at least more useful. We as players know that things like bloodletting and crappy sanitation (lol) aren't exactly the best way to go about things so we, as players, will research better ways of dealing with them. Also, there's Alchemy which, presumably, works and potentially some forms of magic at some point that may extend life or "raise the dead".

As for war... well... The old, "real", way of doing war was, by our modern sensibilities, barbaric. They would toss a bunch of people on a field and the one with the most at the end was, generally, the winner. Pyrrhic victories where the norm. We, as players, know there's a better way and many will use more strategy and tactics than attrition. Also, see the above re Alchemy and Magic.

Accidents will likely not cause death with a few exceptions. They may shorten your over all life expectancy but you're way off at 30%, probably by several orders of magnitude.

Murder and animal attack will very well be the two major causes of death, after "illness" and if either of those topped 10% I'd be surprised.

This is a game run by a company that wants us to keep playing the game. Death will happen but SBS has a vested interest in keeping us alive for as long as possible. If it's to easy to die, people will stop playing. If it happens at the rates you suggest people will stop playing and complain about it to anyone who will listen which will discourage other from playing.

On the other side, you may have inadvertently created the insurance industry in CoE. May god have mercy on your soul.

12/5/2018 3:32:49 AM #14

Posted By Sackeshi at 6:07 PM - Tue Dec 04 2018

Posted By Maegor at 6:01 PM - Tue Dec 04 2018

Its based off historical facts and game play style. Due to it not being real life I think some things will happen more often then we expect.

[Citation needed]

12/5/2018 6:18:35 AM #15

Posted By Maegor at 12:01 AM - Wed Dec 05 2018

Yeah, but this will never be an issue in CoE as the kids are invulnerable to begin with for a reason.