COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
restrictions in town

Me as a mayor... can I handle strangers by forbid them to enter my town?

Or can I do some restrictions for several groups of citizens in specific areas in my town?

Alt text - can be left blank

12/11/2018 8:38:46 AM #1

I mean, with guards maybe? Like those red zones in Assassin's Creed "Hey get back here you're not supposed to be here!"

12/11/2018 8:41:18 AM #2

You can try and forbid people, but you'll probably need people to enforce that as well. The only real way you'd could stop them just entering your town, is by attacking any strangers on site.

I think it will be difficult to convince the npc's in your town to also do so. Most likely, you'll want other players with the same vision for the town to help enforce any rules/laws for your town.

12/11/2018 8:55:22 AM #3

I only wonder why you would want to stop strangers from entering your town. More business more money etc anyway.

12/11/2018 11:05:14 AM #4

It is more for inner structure... probably keep some people away from bank or warehouse.

But town spezific... this stranger can be known as dangerous or a thief.

Else.. maybe u just want to control who comes in...

Also.. if my town size is at max to keep people.

12/11/2018 11:08:26 AM #5

Your possible lines of defense are: 1) Walls, 2) Chokepoints and checkpoints, 3) Guards and 4) Townsfolk who can identify strangers and keep an eye on them.

The last line of defense is the only one every settlement will have. I recommend any Mayor to invest heavily in that one if the others are lacking.

12/11/2018 11:16:02 AM #6

Once someone is a known notorious criminal, the guards will chase him out whenever they see him, and the other NPCs will react hostile in their own ways. Some will attack, others will hide, and some may even be happy to see him. But nevertheless, as criminal you better not do any dirt in your own town.

12/11/2018 11:16:53 AM #7

But if i can control my guards...or give them tasks ... this is the question.

Maybe I just want any new person to proof that he is worth to enter my town.... the question is: would this be possible to handle by game mechanics. (Wall/moat/conrolling guards)

12/11/2018 11:25:26 AM #8

You will need to concretely specify qualifications that can be assessed by your guards.

12/11/2018 11:25:58 AM #9

Posted By MagistrateMondra at 12:16 PM - Tue Dec 11 2018

Maybe I just want any new person to proof that he is worth to enter my town.... the question is: would this be possible to handle by game mechanics. (Wall/moat/conrolling guards)

Build a wall around your settlement with a locked gate/door. Make copies of the key and give them to your friends only.

12/11/2018 11:32:32 AM #10

Posted By Ilyria at 12:25 PM - Tue Dec 11 2018

Posted By ILyria at 12:16 PM - Tue Dec Build a wall around your settlement with a locked gate/door. Make copies of the key and give them to your friends only.

Think this will cost my all of my npc citizen... they won't like this - kind of prison...

12/11/2018 11:36:28 AM #11

Posted By MagistrateMondra at 03:16 AM - Tue Dec 11 2018

Moats are not a thing, SbS confirmed no terraforming, no moats.

Walls though, yes. And as Alteogre said just said it up so they have to go through checkpoints.

If you are trying to ask if the game mechanics will be robust enough to specify to a guard that only people with x qualifications can enter the town then a good solid...maybe?

There is the knowledge system so you might be able to say any known thiefs are denied entry. There could be a system where they have to apply for entry and you personally confirm whether they can come in and issue them passes or visas in which case you tell the guards, if they have this visa they can come through my gates.

I don't think you will be able to get guards to make a logic based judgement call though, without a dedicated opc and a lot of scripting.

12/11/2018 11:38:44 AM #12

Posted By MagistrateMondra at 12:32 PM - Tue Dec 11 2018

Posted By Ilyria at 12:25 PM - Tue Dec 11 2018

Posted By ILyria at 12:16 PM - Tue Dec Build a wall around your settlement with a locked gate/door. Make copies of the key and give them to your friends only.

Think this will cost my all of my npc citizen... they won't like this - kind of prison...

Posted By AlteOgre at 12:25 PM - Tue Dec 11 2018

You will need to concretely specify qualifications that can be assessed by your guards.

If this is possible to bar strangers, seems like the best solution. I don't really understand why you would bar strangers from entering, but that is not my business. I hope the guards will be programmable to do such tasks like guarding the gate, paroling and recognize strangers, maybe even interrogate/question them about their motive for visiting.

12/11/2018 11:43:14 AM #13

Posted By MagistrateMondra at 10:32 PM - Tue Dec 11 2018

Unfortunately, having a wall and gate(s) is probably necessary and the most realistic method, in order to control and make sure you know each person inside the walls, providing you completely trust those you have given the key to the gate for.

Otherwise, you'll just need to have guards and players to 'monitor' them when entering as well as while they're there.

12/11/2018 2:49:41 PM #14

Posted By MagistrateMondra at 11:05 AM - Tue Dec 11 2018

It is more for inner structure... probably keep some people away from bank or warehouse.

But town spezific... this stranger can be known as dangerous or a thief.

Else.. maybe u just want to control who comes in...

Also.. if my town size is at max to keep people.

If you town is large, it will be much harder to control who enters. Building a wall around the entire city and having only 1 or 2 gates could help, though it would be majorly time consuming and inhibit future expansion. You need to refine your defences.

It would be best to start small in your defences. Build your bank, warehouse and whatever else you value highly, close together in the centre of your town. Build a wall around this part of your town, and have only 1 main way in. You could then have people moving into or visiting your city while still regulating the use of the public buildings in this inner sanctum.

Once the city prospers, invest in defending the citizens. Until then, only defend what will make you prosper!

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

12/11/2018 3:34:49 PM #15

How do you plan on recognizing who is a stranger in your town or city? Will you and your guards know everybody? Will all people wear something recognizable? Do they have to carry and show some ID?