COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Why I can't support this game.

So I love the idea of this game, I would love to buy the high end 245 dollar pack to help push it forward. Here is the issue. You are already trying to put mounts, items, as well as things for decoration such as styles for your coat of arms etc behind pay walls. I can't in good faith support a game like this. I would rather pay 30 dollars a month for a game that has everything in it from the start and is fantastic than a game that even before launch has already pay-walled a good chunk of its game. I am sorry but I will not see you in Elyria unless this is changed.

2/19/2019 3:37:37 AM #16

Posted By Eric The Dangerous Tue Feb 18 2019

[...] but lately in the gaming world there are a lot of pay wall items that DO effect the game. If I have to pay money to have an item that does something special that effects actual game play that is in itself insane. [...] I am not interested in having gameplay mechanics, items, etc being held at ransom. If you have these items developed by launch and you refuse to let players earn them in game without forking over money that is unacceptable. [...] but at the end of the day games like this keep themselves from ever taking off (if they release at all) because when they do this turns off most potential players. The people donating are going to play no matter what. The issue is sustaining your finances for the ones after it launches. [...]

I think it would be easier to further address your concern if examples are given to what items in the store worries you. Just point your finger at whatever item you find problematic, and we will try our best to address it.

On top of what Labbe said, as far as I know, the followings are the only things we are uncertain if they are obtainable in game after launch:

1. Guild / Villager tokens
  2. All items under the tab "Digital items"
  3. Expanded Sigil, Crest, Colour, surname.
  4. Star Naming

Then here's the items from kickstarter or things that cannot be lost / created in game:

1. In-game text emotes
  2. In-game salute
  3. In-game founders' chat channel, cloak, title, dance, decorative plaque
  4. Custom surname
  5. Design experience (with pattern) - tatto, hairstyle, food, drink, potion, weapon, shield, ring, necklace, other accessories, armor, fighting style.
  6. Design experience but players won't own the asset - relic, creature, world events. (In essence, the player get the knowledge of it)

Note: Design experience will be subject to the devs review & approval. Those "with pattern" means you can recreate it, and teach others to make / use it. Not sure if someone random on the other of the continent will know it.

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

2/19/2019 6:41:00 AM #17

Posted By Roarer at 8:37 PM - Mon Feb 18 2019

[...] but lately in the gaming world there are a lot of pay wall items that DO effect the game. If I have to pay money to have an item that does something special that effects actual game play that is in itself insane. [...] I am not interested in having gameplay mechanics, items, etc being held at ransom. If you have these items developed by launch and you refuse to let players earn them in game without forking over money that is unacceptable. [...] but at the end of the day games like this keep themselves from ever taking off (if they release at all) because when they do this turns off most potential players. The people donating are going to play no matter what. The issue is sustaining your finances for the ones after it launches. [...]

I think it would be easier to further address your concern if examples are given to what items in the store worries you. Just point your finger at whatever item you find problematic, and we will try our best to address it.

On top of what Labbe said, as far as I know, the followings are the only things we are uncertain if they are obtainable in game after launch:

4. Star Naming

Then here's the items from kickstarter or things that cannot be lost / created in game: 1. In-game text emotes 2. In-game salute 3. In-game founders' chat channel, cloak, title, dance, decorative plaque 4. Custom surname 5. Design experience (with pattern) - tatto, hairstyle, food, drink, potion, weapon, shield, ring, necklace, other accessories, armor, fighting style. 6. Design experience but players won't own the asset - relic, creature, world events. (In essence, the player get the knowledge of it)

Note: Design experience will be subject to the devs review & approval. Those "with pattern" means you can recreate it, and teach others to make / use it. Not sure if someone random on the other of the continent will know it.

Would like to point out that the actual physical items can be lost, stolen, killed, or destroyed, but you as the original owner of said items can recreate them (unless it was an animal then hopefully you were able to breed them). Certain items however are unique such as the kings/queens castles, anyone who chooses to have a relic as their design experience, those design experiences are unique and irreplaceable. Well, the castles could be replaced or even copied exactly, but why waste the resources doing so.

As far as what will be left in the cash shop after launch, I see the starter packs (adventurer pack, merchants pack, etc...) possibly being left as an option for new players to get to help them get started, should they choose. Remember, those packs are one to an account.

Count Ruthgar Rugharin, County of Bragen Veld, Duchy - Conclave of Aritaur, Kingdom of Vornair.

2/19/2019 7:04:58 AM #18

In the end, Eric, we've all made our own decision on the game. I'm still happy to back SBS and trust their word, despite all the flak. However, we've all got a range of views. Why not just keep watching how it all goes? Time will tell... Then you'll either be proved right or wrong. No harm in watching . . . just keep an open mind. That costs you nothing.

Physician, Alchemist & Herbalist to the Duchy of Anor, Al-Khezam - Selene (EU) Server

2/19/2019 7:05:40 AM #19

Posted By Ruthgar at 5:41 PM - Tue Feb 19 2019

Posted By Roarer at 8:37 PM - Mon Feb 18 2019

4. Star Naming

Then here's the items from kickstarter or things that cannot be lost / created in game: 1. In-game text emotes 2. In-game salute 3. In-game founders' chat channel, cloak, title, dance, decorative plaque 4. Custom surname 5. Design experience (with pattern) - tatto, hairstyle, food, drink, potion, weapon, shield, ring, necklace, other accessories, armor, fighting style. 6. Design experience but players won't own the asset - relic, creature, world events. (In essence, the player get the knowledge of it)

Would like to point out that the actual physical items can be lost, stolen, killed, or destroyed, but you as the original owner of said items can recreate them (unless it was an animal then hopefully you were able to breed them). Certain items however are unique such as the kings/queens castles, anyone who chooses to have a relic as their design experience, those design experiences are unique and irreplaceable. Well, the castles could be replaced or even copied exactly, but why waste the resources doing so.

As far as what will be left in the cash shop after launch, I see the starter packs (adventurer pack, merchants pack, etc...) possibly being left as an option for new players to get to help them get started, should they choose. Remember, those packs are one to an account.

Per Caspian on Discord, December 2018

"Between now and launch the prices for Tier 2 packages will increase a couple more times, as will Tier 1. Ultimately Tier 2 will go away as well, with a variant of Tier 1 packages remaining after launch. The Elyrian Package (base package) will end up at $59.99, with one or two additional packages coming in at $90 USD and $120 USD. As many of the benefits of the packages will be invalid post-launch, they'll be replaced with different benefits."

2/19/2019 9:21:53 AM #20

>Posted By Eric The Dangerous at 03:47 AM - Tue Feb 19 2019 > >If you have these items developed by launch and you refuse to let players earn them in game without forking over money that is unacceptable.

What items are those? Please post a link to what items will be devloped at launch and where it says SbS refuse to let players earn them in-game for free.

Also, I have an offer for you ... I'll get you a package if you pay me $30/month*, as you said you're willing to do that.. : D

*Only for as long as the game runs, which is planned to be 10 years.

Count Lofi of Skaaney, friend code 8766AA

2/19/2019 4:00:13 PM #21

Posted By Eric The Dangerous at

So I love the idea of this game, I would love to buy the high end 245 dollar pack to help push it forward. Here is the issue. You are already trying to put mounts, items, as well as things for decoration such as styles for your coat of arms etc behind pay walls. I can't in good faith support a game like this. I would rather pay 30 dollars a month for a game that has everything in it from the start and is fantastic than a game that even before launch has already pay-walled a good chunk of its game. I am sorry but I will not see you in Elyria unless this is changed.

Be-careful saying anything negative about COE, gets you/your comments down-voted, even though what you are stating is accurate and has more proof then what SBS has provided. There are some serious cheerleaders of SBS on these forms because they are unwilling to face what is clearly here.... NOTHING. I wish I could have my money back.. I will never crowd fund again..

2/19/2019 4:18:57 PM #22

He simply doesn't understand and wants attention, there is no pay wall, this isn't EA or Bungie. This is crowdfunding, buy shit now then lose it in game when it rusts, is stolen or is taken by another player. O rin the case of animals...they DIE lol

2/20/2019 3:34:30 AM #23

I agree the game has a few issues, but paywalls are not one of them. After exposition, everything will be up for grabs.

You could literally be emperor of all Elyria, through playing, if you played well enough.

2/22/2019 4:23:24 AM #24

The state of the gaming industry right now is just messed up.

We hate the EA/Activisions who churn out AAA games rife with micro-transactions. But many people refuse to support the small upcoming indie devs because there's never any guarantee of a final polished product.

If you can't afford to "lose" money on a startup game, don't put money in. If you can, and understand the risks then why not? The worst that can happen is that these small devs like SBS through their own design philosophies and innovation will influence the big companies to change.

2/22/2019 7:05:04 PM #25

Dude your completely wrong about the game nothing in the store is locked away so you have to pay to get it, Every item and title you see in the store you can get in game yourself or steal it from the people who bought those items. You are mistaken. the store isn't even gonna be there after the game launches

2/23/2019 7:54:16 AM #26

at least its not pay to win...and also you don't have to buy the game at that level so yeah....cool story man, thanks for telling everyone?

Deus lo Vult!

2/23/2019 1:29:06 PM #27

Posted By Eric The Dangerous at

That's your view, but you seem to be missing the point that you can earn things in-game too.

Hell, you could become a Queen simply by being really good friends with a King. It isn't paywalled if you can get there without paying.

Link to my story

2/23/2019 10:29:11 PM #28

This post feels more like a case of "its not fair they've got things I dont". Caspian has stated on multiple occasions there was never any intention for CoE to be fair. there will be more and less powerful political figures. Kinda the point of the dance of dynasties. Truth be told this game will be what people make it, if you want something go out and take it, build your own group of friends buy/take land, build your own town, go and conquer your neighbors and take all there bought goods.

Have a bit of faith in your capacity to rise rather than turn away from whats possibly the most promising game idea in the last 10 years, cause you dot like that people are taking advantage of a head start.

2/25/2019 4:17:40 AM #29

Here's what I think. I'm fine with all these purchasable items. Personally, I'm not having anything to do with them (Its just my personal choice), but what I don't think is fine is the little to no updates on alpha progress.

• Proprietor • Programmer • Gamer • PsalmFirewall • NA-W • Friend Code: 62E37D •

2/25/2019 4:46:51 AM #30

Posted By Zeek_Halykr at 9:17 PM - Sun Feb 24 2019

Here's what I think. I'm fine with all these purchasable items. Personally, I'm not having anything to do with them (Its just my personal choice), but what I don't think is fine is the little to no updates on alpha progress.

Get Alpha access