COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
OPC death

What happens when our offline player character dies?

I imagine it's possible for a sneaky assassin to kill people if they're good enough, even within safe areas. (they could kill an OPC in the middle of night while they're sleeping alone at home). I personally wouldnt enjoy logging into an incapacitated character with my entire house ransacked.

FC: 13AB08

3/5/2019 6:22:05 AM #1

If your offline player character dies (is Coup de Graced) they will stay "passed out" until you log back into the game.

At that point the timer for your spirit walk will start and you will spirit walk back to your body like normal as if you were online at the moment of your coup de grace.

3/5/2019 6:35:35 AM #2

so an army could march through a town, kill everyone and destroy all the buildings. and all the OPC would just lie there until people log into the destruction?

FC: 13AB08

3/5/2019 6:47:13 AM #3

Posted By ilakyd at 10:35 PM - Mon Mar 04 2019

so an army could march through a town, kill everyone and destroy all the buildings. and all the OPC would just lie there until people log into the destruction?

Sounds about right, though it will take time. So, to help avoid that, you may want to have players in your town that play at different times of the day that can throw out a warning to folks offline.

3/5/2019 9:50:47 AM #4

Destroying buildings will not be that easy though.

Combine that with the NPC's potentially defending the town and I doubt anyone will steamroll an entire town in a single night

3/5/2019 4:20:35 PM #5

Potentially the forces of an entire kingdom focused on a single town could wipe out that one town, but the build up to do so would take a week of time to assemble the forces from across the kingdom, and leave the rest of the kingdom undefended, so not really practical.

Count Ruthgar Rugharin, County of Bragen Veld, Duchy - Conclave of Aritaur, Kingdom of Vornair.

3/5/2019 6:17:45 PM #6

Posted By Ruthgar at 10:20 AM - Tue Mar 05 2019

Potentially the forces of an entire kingdom focused on a single town could wipe out that one town, but the build up to do so would take a week of time to assemble the forces from across the kingdom, and leave the rest of the kingdom undefended, so not really practical.

There are pvp focused groups with hundreds of members many of whom already have massive amounts of EP to purchase ready built siege weapons, supplies, raiding boats and all the logistics needed for them to act as an army apart. No reason to move defensive forces and use them to attack.

People need to realize while SBS is making it harder to decimate an entire town they are not making it impossible. And where I believe they underestimate the pvp population is how they will use EP and ways it can be used to support a landless army until they take over a nice spot and set up shop.

Kingdoms on the whole are very very flimsy right now. With nebulous promises and supposed pvp resumes being tossed around. Truth is a kingdom will fall very quickly from within to a dedicated multi game pvp guild. Logistics and such came be gotten around in the short term via EP. I expect the first town to be razed within the first week of pvp being enabled during expo. The first kingdom to fall the first week or two after launch.

Folks toss around size of the world and difficulty to move an army. It works against the defenders as well. A landless army with a massive amount of EP could easily focus their attacks on a specific weak point and destabilize the entire kingdom. How? Because the kingdom is focused on using their EP building up roads, shops and the like. While a dedicated gaming guild need only focus on logistics and material arms both of which are available in the cash shop and from the old EP chart certainly available for EP. and EP/cash shop items do not need to be built.

3/5/2019 7:03:53 PM #7

There may be an initial "Golden Horde" era in the game with EP-purchased equipment, but that momentum cannot last forever. Even the Mongols had to settle eventually, and were much diminished by the end.

3/5/2019 7:32:31 PM #8

Posted By Vucar at 1:03 PM - Tue Mar 05 2019

There may be an initial "Golden Horde" era in the game with EP-purchased equipment, but that momentum cannot last forever. Even the Mongols had to settle eventually, and were much diminished by the end.

Yep but if you look around at most posts/opinions people seem to believe it won’t happen and won’t happen for a long time. I personally think once they enable pvp during the last part of expo we will see our first major battle and title lost or town destroyed.

Once that happens the landless army can build their own town on the ashes using what EP they have left. My concern is what happens next. They take a wide swath of land and make it their defacto kingdom. Other nobles close will likely join given their initial show of force and I’d expect this to happen rather quickly as those who want to cover themselves join and the “grand prerelease” kingdom crumbles.

Could be wrong and hope I am. But the sheer amount of EP out there makes it nearly impossible to control the initial arms race. And since pvp is supposed to be enabled during expo while the ep store is still open who knows how much money will be dropped at that point for last minute items.

Seems like a massive mess/headache to me.

3/5/2019 8:19:27 PM #9

Posted By Malais at 2:32 PM - Tue Mar 05 2019

Posted By Vucar at 1:03 PM - Tue Mar 05 2019

Yep but if you look around at most posts/opinions people seem to believe it won’t happen and won’t happen for a long time. I personally think once they enable pvp during the last part of expo we will see our first major battle and title lost or town destroyed.

Once that happens the landless army can build their own town on the ashes using what EP they have left. My concern is what happens next. They take a wide swath of land and make it their defacto kingdom. Other nobles close will likely join given their initial show of force and I’d expect this to happen rather quickly as those who want to cover themselves join and the “grand prerelease” kingdom crumbles.

Could be wrong and hope I am. But the sheer amount of EP out there makes it nearly impossible to control the initial arms race. And since pvp is supposed to be enabled during expo while the ep store is still open who knows how much money will be dropped at that point for last minute items.

Seems like a massive mess/headache to me.

Well, it'll create interesting story.

3/5/2019 10:03:38 PM #10

Well currently, thats whats planned as far as we know: if your OPC dies, you lie there "dead" until you login again.

But as far as we know, NPCs still die after their first CDG. Which just cant work in CoE, so will be reworked... As soon as NPCs get some kind of "respawn" or some life-expectancy similar to players souls stuff and as soon as SbS sets how they'll recover from CDG, I guess, they'll put some different mechanic on OPC deaths than just "staying dead". They might even give players the choice to stay dead or respawn in NPC-style, whichever that will be. If NPCs will really die after their first CDG, I guess CoE will be a dead and empty land after some months.

Friend Code: 30EF47

3/6/2019 12:08:39 AM #11

Posted By Malais at 11:32 AM - Tue Mar 05 2019

And since pvp is supposed to be enabled during expo while the ep store is still open who knows how much money will be dropped at that point for last minute items.

Had not heard about this. There will be p2w riots if this is true by time we get to expo.

3/6/2019 9:28:17 AM #12

If battle table PvP is available in Expo, it would be a supreme p2w opportunity. It is entirely possible that individual or small-group PvP would be allowed, but battle table PvP would be forbidden. Or perhaps only nobility (i.e., those actually holding land with noble titles) would be able to engage in battle table PvP during that period. Nobility by definition would not be landless.

However, even if the landless army concept is not entirely feasible, nobles not part of a kingdom's initial founding cabal or nobles betraying that cabal are near certainties. The feasibility of siege-capable armies in Expo or at launch thus becomes a question of the logistics of getting all the participants to the party, just as would be the case for a landless army. The feat may be easier, because some settlements can be counted upon for basing and support.

This is a digression from the original topic, because the notion of even a landless army implies logistics. In order for a group of raiders without logistics to kill every character in a settlement, I think the settlement would have to be undefended. Any settlement with walls and gates will present an almost impenetrable obstacle to raiders without siege equipment, unless the AI for NPC and OPC defenders is effectively nonexistent. I say this based on the published statement that sieges with the proper equipment will take RL hours to days, rather than minutes.

Trying to get back to the original topic, obvious malfeasance by deviant characters is likely to meet active opposition from conscious NPCs, and by extension conscious OPCs who should be able to run basic reactive scripts the same as NPCs. So it is possible for a particularly competent assassin to kill several people in a settlement, but it is not so likely that settlements larger than villages will be easily massacred by groups using brute-force tactics. The OP's concern is valid, and it is a good question, but the event should not be likely in a well-run settlement, even a hamlet.

3/6/2019 4:34:04 PM #13

Everyone who is in royalty and nobility are there because they dropped real-world cash. That's been obvious from the beginning. Full transparency. And the resources they are given are committed towards setting up a kingdom and protecting their investments. It's not p2w if their main intent was to allow people to set up umbrellas, that people are free to stand under. I doubt everyone who is saying they'll play has committed to a kingdom, found a duchy/city/town/etc., and sent in a resume of all the actual tasks they want to do besides "just having fun". It's a game to most people, with minimal investments of time and money. But we don't have a right to try to strip away the benefits from the people who are providing the brunt of the support for the game.

The EP shop will close. It will be a closed economy. Any items bought will be products to be bought, sold, stolen, gifted, built, destroyed. This isn't p2w, just p2-get-SBS-to-put-out-a-game-and-maybe-get-rewarded-by-doing-less-struggling-at-the-beginning. All of it can be razed later. There might be guilds that are amassing armaments, but remember that the game works on progressed technology. You won't have late-stage siege equipment available in expo shops. If people are concerned about a Golden Horde, then they should commit to a kingdom and plan of action to defend their domains. Even if that includes spending money. If you can't afford to spend the money, work hard or wait for the dust to settle. Else, you're just here to play a game and shouldn't complain on the state of the world, just play with what you get.

Note: One thing I will say is that most, non-pvp guilds are at a deficit without any mechanics being released. Raiders only need to focus on learning the combat system and that won't take too long and they'd learn by doing. Without any real information about the game regular people can't do any real planning themselves.

3/7/2019 5:21:26 AM #14

Posted By Spinam at 08:34 AM - Wed Mar 06 2019

... Raiders only need to focus on learning the combat system and that won't take too long and they'd learn by doing. ....

I'm not so sure that this will turn out to be so. In terms of skills needed to get by in the game, raiders presumably will also need to learn skills that can provide them basic subsistence of some kind. Survival skills are perhaps the most likely, since they will not tie raiders down to any kind of food-producing property like farms or herds. Deviancy skills are also a high likelihood, particularly if they want to live on what they can steal.

In most MMOs, social-level homeostasis necessary to sustain life is more-or-less automatic, insofar as it is rather difficult to starve to death. Survival games are an exception, but some aspects of homeostasis in most of those are artificially eased so that players can get on with the fun of killing each other. CoE could be an exception insofar as landless or herdless hordes unable to live off wild land (e.g., purely combat-skilled raiders) will likely starve to death before they can muster numbers sufficient to live off someone else's labor.

All the historical examples of purely combat-skilled characters that we have are supported by social and economic systems that ensure their survival. Even the Mongols possessed socially-homeostatic survival skills, insofar as they were herders and horsemen, and were able to survive on the milk of the mares they possessed in quantity, and which served as both mounts and food sources. If CoE maintains verisimilitude on the social and economic scale, it should not be possible for a character trained only in combat skills to survive in hostile lands.

5/20/2019 2:53:51 PM #15

Posted By Poldano at 06:21 AM - Thu Mar 07 2019

Posted By Spinam at 08:34 AM - Wed Mar 06 2019

... Raiders only need to focus on learning the combat system and that won't take too long and they'd learn by doing. ....

I'm not so sure that this will turn out to be so. In terms of skills needed to get by in the game, raiders presumably will also need to learn skills that can provide them basic subsistence of some kind. Survival skills are perhaps the most likely, since they will not tie raiders down to any kind of food-producing property like farms or herds. Deviancy skills are also a high likelihood, particularly if they want to live on what they can steal.

In most MMOs, social-level homeostasis necessary to sustain life is more-or-less automatic, insofar as it is rather difficult to starve to death. Survival games are an exception, but some aspects of homeostasis in most of those are artificially eased so that players can get on with the fun of killing each other. CoE could be an exception insofar as landless or herdless hordes unable to live off wild land (e.g., purely combat-skilled raiders) will likely starve to death before they can muster numbers sufficient to live off someone else's labor.

All the historical examples of purely combat-skilled characters that we have are supported by social and economic systems that ensure their survival. Even the Mongols possessed socially-homeostatic survival skills, insofar as they were herders and horsemen, and were able to survive on the milk of the mares they possessed in quantity, and which served as both mounts and food sources. If CoE maintains verisimilitude on the social and economic scale, it should not be possible for a character trained only in combat skills to survive in hostile lands.

If every village has food stores to last over a winter wouldn't they just have to chop the heads of the farmers, take all their food for the years rations, slaughters domesticated animals and move on to the next undefended village of defenceless farmers. I don't know if SBS has considered this. It would deffinately cut down the world to burning embers before the game even starts and it starts after the Exposition apocalypse :P Then again, I guess that would becoem part of the story. The conquering horde with no skills at living of the land would have killed off the workers and would have to stay on the move, for them to stabilise theses lands in the next one or two months before they starve to death or run nout of raidable supplies could become a problem.

With no good sleeping accomodations and no food they wouldn't be very strong and their stamina would suffer. Then til would repeat over and over til the Exposition is over I guess.

Friend Code: 6CC04C