COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Player testing of DSS before it goes live

I have long been a proponent of using community to test particularly noteworthy items before they go live. As we have seen with past events, such as with map voting and how players voted, to the plague event and the use of bots. Or the latest with title claiming bug that became more obvious as people got their hands on title claiming.

Internal testing I think can be fine for most things, but to get an accurate read on how a community uses it, or what bugs slip through the cracks I think it would be of great value to allow the community to test.

We have alpha 1/alpha 2 people and in general the early Access/10k people. So there are at least a pool of people who are sworn to secrecy, and a pool that has bought in to test and get access to buggy things given Alphas are usually buggy. So to me with how important DSS is, allowing those people who are yearning to test to get some time to help SBS iron out faults would be a real boon in building confidence to the studio, the players, and the outside community if we could get it into a better state before it went live to the public.

As far as what they could test, things like server load, issues with two people claiming at the same time such as what we had with the inn. How it feels for the user, how does the population actually use it vs what the devs believe is the way people will use it. An example being the devs surprise in how invested people were in staying up at all hours for the plague event, or that players banked plague, or the way people voted for other servers in map voting. Getting a real sense of how people interact with a UI feels to me like a very important thing when ironing out bugs or other issues. And of course just a larger testing pool might bring some other unknown issues to the surface that no one had realized were there.

4/5/2019 10:23:50 PM #1

Great idea. DSS is too important to go wrong.

4/5/2019 10:26:49 PM #2

I like this.

4/5/2019 10:27:19 PM #3

I support this.

Upvoting and downvoting indiscriminately

4/5/2019 10:27:56 PM #4

The Goat Lord supports this idea.

Baldrin 'Goat Lord' Hammerfist

4/5/2019 10:28:32 PM #5

Agreed.

4/5/2019 10:30:11 PM #6

+1

This signature just exists because I do not wish to be getting messages by the same guy over and over again because I do not have a Kingdom/Duchy/County singature. Go away or atleast invite me for coffee before you ignore my messages :(

4/5/2019 10:30:54 PM #7

Yea there’ll be bugs and there’ll most likely be further delays when it rolls out as exploits are discovered. Best to get it out to as many people as possible before actual rollout.

4/5/2019 10:32:01 PM #8

Good idea.

Count NA-E Friend Code D8E9A4

4/5/2019 10:39:09 PM #9

This is a great idea, and great use of the NDA

4/5/2019 10:41:29 PM #10

This is something i can get behind.

Stairs Approves. Stay, worship, obey. Join The Cult Of Stairs Today!

4/5/2019 10:45:47 PM #11

Oh yeah some Alpha 1 & Alpha 2 stuff!

4/5/2019 10:47:57 PM #12

Just seems to make sense to me.

/signed

Posted By Cyneric at

I have long been a proponent of using community to test particularly noteworthy items before they go live. As we have seen with past events, such as with map voting and how players voted, to the plague event and the use of bots. Or the latest with title claiming bug that became more obvious as people got their hands on title claiming.

Internal testing I think can be fine for most things, but to get an accurate read on how a community uses it, or what bugs slip through the cracks I think it would be of great value to allow the community to test.

We have alpha 1/alpha 2 people and in general the early Access/10k people. So there are at least a pool of people who are sworn to secrecy, and a pool that has bought in to test and get access to buggy things given Alphas are usually buggy. So to me with how important DSS is, allowing those people who are yearning to test to get some time to help SBS iron out faults would be a real boon in building confidence to the studio, the players, and the outside community if we could get it into a better state before it went live to the public.

As far as what they could test, things like server load, issues with two people claiming at the same time such as what we had with the inn. How it feels for the user, how does the population actually use it vs what the devs believe is the way people will use it. An example being the devs surprise in how invested people were in staying up at all hours for the plague event, or that players banked plague, or the way people voted for other servers in map voting. Getting a real sense of how people interact with a UI feels to me like a very important thing when ironing out bugs or other issues. And of course just a larger testing pool might bring some other unknown issues to the surface that no one had realized were there.

4/5/2019 10:48:17 PM #13

The servers cant handle the stress.

I support.

4/5/2019 10:48:38 PM #14

Yup.

4/5/2019 10:55:39 PM #15

yes