COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
[Survey] M/F choices

Hello, future CoE players. This is just a little personal survey of mine that might help me decide what I'm going to do with my own characters. Hopefully, it can also help others undecided about the topic.

When you create your first character in CoE, will you be making them the same sex as you? What is your reasoning behind it?

4/23/2019 7:22:15 PM #16

I'm going to play a male to begin with, just because I plan to be a Brudvir and want to be an intimidating presence so I want an awesome beard with my glowing yellow eyes. Realistically though we can play as our children when the time comes, so who says you might not just have one child of a different gender? If your SO is another PC you might end up splitting your children for who plays who. I figure there has got to be a time when i'm forced out of my comfort zone by child gender RNG and i welcome the immersive chance.

"A balanced diet is 50% Kypiq and 50% Janoa."

4/23/2019 7:58:21 PM #17

Male on most of my other characters, because that would make roleplaying with my wife easier.

cannot be the only one who lol'd at this

Evil? More like Chaotic Neutral...ish

4/23/2019 7:59:23 PM #18

I'm still at odds about my character. When I first heard of CoE I have a certain fantasy for my character, pretty much my profile picture. But thinking about it, my first character is going to be the further from what I actually want my character to be. So, I don't know if I should even care about my first character and plan "my character" as the 3rd or 4th generation or just make it my first character.

4/23/2019 8:02:04 PM #19

Female for the sake of breeding with the male characters my friends are intending to play.

I'm going to be playing a Janoa, at least at first. I intend to breed some mounts and hunting companions. And with any luck tame some wildlife.

4/23/2019 8:42:17 PM #20

Posted By Sushislayer at 4:01 PM - Tue Apr 23 2019

Male because in this game is matters for smithing and mining

Does it? Never heard about that. Did you get that from a Q&A or something?

4/23/2019 8:53:16 PM #21

I'm starting out as female, my gender, but I will be alternating after each death. Or at least that's the plan.

4/24/2019 3:06:52 AM #22

I really don't think gender affects skills in CoE, other games sure, but I do not believe that is the case for this. Tribes on the other hand absolutely effect skills but I think that is as far as the differentiation will go.

Personally I will start as a male, simply because I will have no reason from the get go to mislead anyone about my identity, but that may change. I honestly plan to embrace the fact, and am so happy CoE does break away from the "norm of the times" for a Medieval setting and does not discriminate against males or females becoming Rulers of Kingdoms. Either way, after my first spark, I will reincarnate into any heir available.

People do know that things like Child Contracts can happen between same sex couples right? Sure you need a surrogate last I heard but it is still possible.

4/24/2019 3:21:33 AM #23

Female only if I can help it because it's more comfortable. I'll play a male character if I have to.

4/24/2019 3:23:03 AM #24

Since I do not have a gender identity (anyway, I have lived too long in two cultures with very different gender roles for both male and female, and therefore I do not know what it means to be a "man" or a "woman"), I do not care about the gender of my character, although I traditionally play genderfluid female characters. So, I guess that I will start as a woman, and I will take from there what I get.

4/24/2019 4:03:11 AM #25

Despite the fact that I'm a man, I'm going with a woman for one reason:

I have a single character I have built and modified for several different universes, always a tall, slim, dark-haired, light-skinned, usually elven woman named Raven. Usually an emotional mess, but in CoE, I don't see that aspect as necessary (or useful, as she's going to be a mayor here). She's my character, and I love using her.

(Also, in a side note, the Dras seem like the perfect tribe for her)

Expecting to set up as a mayor in one of the three "two town" counties in Bridgespider (Angelica server, Kingdom of Tyria). I'm hoping to end up with a city by the end of exposition for lawmaking ability, assuming I can keep the city sustainable. You will know it's me by the city name Raven's Roost

Friend code: 23F484.

4/24/2019 5:25:12 AM #26

I'll be playing male, it's more immersive to me that way as I am a male.

4/24/2019 5:45:56 AM #27

Im a girl planning to be boy in my first life. Have been for 3 years.

4/24/2019 11:51:38 AM #28

Posted By KandiKitsune at 05:06 AM - Wed Apr 24 2019

I really don't think gender affects skills in CoE, other games sure, but I do not believe that is the case for this. [...]

People do know that things like Child Contracts can happen between same-sex couples right? Sure you need a surrogate last I heard but it is still possible.

Yes, there will be no skill or attribute differences between male & female characters and no, Child Contract can't happen between two characters of the same sex. But as you said, you can make a contract with a surrogate to get a child with him/her and "claim" it for you (that sounds so terrible XD). Both was stated by Caspian multiple times in the past, Elyrian people don't seem to have any reason for gender roles or hate to same-sex couples.

For me, I'm going to play a Female Character. I'm male IRL, but most of my Roleplay characters are female, as I find it easier to design a good female Character then a male Character. (The only Male Character I had was in Blade&Souls, but he was fucking cute xD)

4/25/2019 12:06:36 AM #29

I'll play a female character. When I play a game with character customization, I like to make my character pretty different from what I really am, there's nothing more boring than a human male. On top of that, I like to have nice things around me, because who doesn't?

Even when RPing I'll do the same. I've found that it can be easy to fall into the trap of a character just being virtual me if there's nothing about them that puts me in a different mindset.

4/25/2019 12:21:23 AM #30

I'm male and will be playing male characters exclusively. It's just easier to build relationships and role play as something I'm familiar with.

Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter backer #2!