COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Fit Old People

Hello Everyone!

I understand that growing old and dying is a core part of the game, but I was wondering if those who regularly stay in shape would either live longer or not suffer from the same afflictions that come with old age? IRL, there's more than enough evidence to prove that staying in shape and eating well will allow you to be in exceptional physical condition even unto death, so I was hoping that there'd be some way to ensure that my physical prowess stays as formidable as possible for as long as possible...? I feel like it'd make sense to see crafter-trader types grow old and frail, while hunter-combat types retained at least a little bit of their fighting ability.

Daardain, First Siren of Lady Nelanie Luna'de Sàng; First Minister, Minister of Health, Agriculture and Sciences of the County of Cambria.

My Friend Code: D66788
5/24/2019 10:33:02 PM #1

I doubt your performances will degrade when your character get old. Not many people would play a game like that :p

Instead, I remember reading about the fact that when age, you will have less bonuses when learning new things. Your progression speed may slow down. But it's probably too early in dev to consider that it's cast in stone.

Barony of Kern’s gate

5/24/2019 10:39:11 PM #2

Welcome...

And, yes, while aging will decrease your overall fitness, as it has been explained so far, it will be on sliding scale as you age.

For example, if you were fitter than the average joe when you were younger and you continue to stay fit you as you age you will loose it at a slower rate than if you were unfit to begin with. You won't be able to do what you used to do, but you will be able to do more than the average guy of the same age.

Another way to look at it is that the continued activity helps decrease the rate of the inevitable fading as you age out.

Everyone will die.

Not everyone will be old and frail when it happens.

Some will just be old.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

5/24/2019 11:05:19 PM #3

Posted By kajoreh at 3:39 PM - Fri May 24 2019

Everyone will die.

Not everyone will be old and frail when it happens.

Some will just be old.

That was very well said, thank you for the insight!!

Daardain, First Siren of Lady Nelanie Luna'de Sàng; First Minister, Minister of Health, Agriculture and Sciences of the County of Cambria.

My Friend Code: D66788
5/25/2019 8:47:34 AM #4

My mistake, it's true your physical performances will degrade over time. But these malus will be compensated with bonuses for some mental skills.

Besides, it seems that the longevity is not affected by your physical condition. The core mechanic to influence that is your resource of "Spirit" (you mostly loose it when you get killed).

Posted By Caspian

Each skill in the game requires the use of one primary attribute, and up to two secondary attributes for a maximum of three. As you age, some skills naturally atrophy at a faster rate while others become easier to develop. Strength, Agility, and Stamina all become more difficult to maintain while Will, Reason, and Focus become easier. For social skills, it’s about half and half. Persuasion becomes harder to level (nobody listens to their elders), while both Intuition and Leadership become easier.

This change in attributes creates an interesting game dynamic. Those characters built solely around the physical skills will find they’re most effective in their youth. It’s during this time they are more likely to be out adventuring, risking their lives in the wilderness, or traveling as a merchant on dangerous highways.

At some point those physical activities will become more difficult. You’ll find you’re less able to hold your own in fights against the younger, more virile characters. This is part of the natural order.

In contrast, you’ll find skills that rely on your willpower, or prolonged focus, become significantly easier. You’ll be able to spend more time and become more effective in research and hobbies that require a keen eye. If you were able to build a kingdom, your venerable character will become more influential as your Leadership reaches an all-time high.

Barony of Kern’s gate