COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
D&SS Update Demos

Hail Elyrians!

We realize that some of you may not be following the pins in the Domain and Settlement Selection channel in Discord, where brief updates have been posted recently.

Plus, lots of people have been asking about progress and wanted more than a bunch of explanations, and we can totally understand that.

So a few moments ago, while Caspian was chatting in Discord, he shared a couple of GIFs showing our progress with Domain and Settlement Selection, and of course we wanted to share that on our forums as well.

Please remember: The data is still temporary, there's still some work to be done on both the front-end, the stylized rendering, the simulations, and our distribution of settlements.

This is to reassure people that most of the really hard technical problems have been solved now and we're getting very close. To that end, here's the D&SS site in action.

---- WORK IN PROGRESS ---- WORK IN PROGRESS ---- WORK IN PROGRESS ------

And here is an example of how selecting multiple properties may look like:

Added 6/17/2019 Earlier today, a couple of you asked what it would look like if a player were to select more than 2 counties.

Below, you will see an example of what it may look like picking multiple counties (in this demo, 6). Please remember this is still a work in progress and everything else said in this post applies.

---- WORK IN PROGRESS ---- WORK IN PROGRESS ---- WORK IN PROGRESS ------

Again, remember that this isn't quite done yet, so be mindful that some stuff is still missing, not finalized, a WIP or placeholder. This is mostly to give people reassurance that we're almost done, and DSS is fully functional.

It won't be much longer now!!!

Stay excited, and have a wonderful rest of your week/weekend!

Until next time,

More to come...

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

6/15/2019 4:22:41 AM #31

We inquired to caspian, because a couple of us that were talking in the discord said that parcels would be a good measurement for the “locals” at county/settlement levels. Caspian seemed confused saying that’s what it should say. So apparently that is currently a possible bug~ and it should show the parcel size.

I could be wrong, but it could just be like that for the test servers and stuff~ as to not give away certain info and stuff for tests?

6/15/2019 3:59:32 PM #32

As the post mentioned, this is still a work in progress.

But also good feedback, I wager you'll see improvements before launch, so thanks for the input!

6/15/2019 4:50:53 PM #33

Posted By Serpentius at 11:59 AM - Sat Jun 15 2019

But also good feedback, I wager you'll see improvements before launch, so thanks for the input!

No worries, I could personally careless about the quality of something that has a very limited life span. As long as it functions properly that is all that matters in my book.

I'll just be glad when DSS is over so we can get more art and game mechanic shinies.

6/16/2019 6:00:54 PM #34

Posted By odd fella at 05:12 AM - Sat Jun 15 2019

Too many clapping seals in this post. Not enough questions and feedback.

For example, why parcels and population size are estimated and not actual. Actual number of parcels will be incredibly useful for settlement owners.

If you want to ask a question, do so, but there is no need to phrase it as an insult to the people who posted before you. It doesn't help to get your question answered.

Brash

6/16/2019 10:05:04 PM #35

Posted By Jazz at 02:50 AM - Sun Jun 16 2019

Posted By Serpentius at 11:59 AM - Sat Jun 15 2019

No worries, I could personally careless about the quality of something that has a very limited life span. As long as it functions properly that is all that matters in my book.

I'll just be glad when DSS is over so we can get more art and game mechanic shinies.

Actually the map and cartography system is the same one that will be used in game. Which is why they are spending so much time on this delaying it so much.

6/17/2019 2:21:13 AM #36

Posted By odd fella at 11:12 AM - Sat Jun 15 2019

Too many clapping seals in this post. Not enough questions and feedback.

For example, why parcels and population size are estimated and not actual. Actual number of parcels will be incredibly useful for settlement owners.

Odd fella is odd indeed.

When the stylized map is first announced, it is already mentioned that the studio do not want to give us exact data. This helps communicate to us that all information provided has some uncertainty while also providing some wiggle room for SBS if they wish to change the details before launch.

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

6/17/2019 5:21:48 AM #37

This is changing my understanding of the tribal interactions a good bit. Neran may or may not rule Valyria, that's up to the king, but they don't control it at the roots. What I thought would be the Neran area is a sea of interspersed Kypiq and Waerd (how does that work?) with Neran barely outnumbering the other two anywhere. Maybe the Neran homeland is to the south in Tyria?

At the same time bleedover of Hrothi and Brudvir from the north is practically nonexistant. I wonder if the reverse is true when one crosses into Aranor and Ashland. Any howl, it seems that some tribes will mix, and extensively, but others won't at all.

I'll hope that the counties with no settlement markers is just a display issue. I don't see how that would work in practice. :)

6/17/2019 9:17:54 PM #38

Just added a 3rd demo video showing what choosing 6 counties may look like during D&SS.

Enjoy :)

6/17/2019 9:20:27 PM #39

Thank you serp you are amazing!!!!!

6/17/2019 9:25:49 PM #40

WOah! Thanks!

6/17/2019 9:53:10 PM #41

That was very informative. There was one point in the county picking process on that latest vid where one of the options presented was actually surprising. There appears to be more leeway with the choices than I previously thought there would be.

6/17/2019 10:42:59 PM #42

OK -- although I have long planned my county name, if I had the option of "Dockhead" I'd probably keep it.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

6/18/2019 2:04:33 AM #43

About how I imagined it would look. Keeps to a central “mass”, but the centre is recalculated at each step. Options that distort the mass too much are cut out at each step. Just as Caspian explained in Discord.

6/18/2019 6:22:12 AM #44

So the way it seems to work is that when the second domain is placed bordering the first, the system looks up the border of those two and only makes domains available for selection that border that border. However if domains border 2 borders of your already selected domains you have to choose those and so on.

6/18/2019 9:12:02 AM #45

Posted By 1mmaculateDeception at 6/17/2019 9:53:10 PM

That was very informative. There was one point in the county picking process on that latest vid where one of the options presented was actually surprising. There appears to be more leeway with the choices than I previously thought there would be.

which choice was surprising? Didnt all choices simply count borders? thats what they told us, when we asked what their "clustering" actually means. Its all about how many touching domains you have, no matter if the shared border is tiny or huge.

Friend Code: 30EF47