COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
The inevitable war

We all know there is going to be war in Elyria, mostly on a smaller scale. Skirmishes between towns and duchy’s perhaps. But what are some reasons that will cause Kingdoms to war with each other, and what will the fallout from that war be? I believe the biggest instigator for war will be natural resources. A town, county, duchy or kingdom does not manage their resources well and can not get enough through trade, possibly they over-hunted, fished, etc. So the only option left to them is to invade their neighbor. What do you guys think? What are some other scenarios?

6/21/2019 12:26:06 AM #1

A kingdom that trashes its own natural resources also lacks the resources to wage an effective war.

6/21/2019 12:40:54 AM #2

The two things most likely to lead to wars are this: big egos, and players doing something stupid.

We've no shortage of people around here with oversized egos and a fair few of them could likely be goaded into a fight.

Players are also likely to do things that leadership might wish they had not done, but have to back due to internal politics. A border raid or hot headed comments can start two kingdoms on the path to war as easily as anything else.

6/21/2019 12:53:50 AM #3

Posted By mickdude2 at 8:26 PM - Thu Jun 20 2019

Misusing resourcing will definitely lead to war. Effective or not.

A kingdom that trashes its own natural resources also lacks the resources to wage an effective war.

6/21/2019 1:24:59 AM #4

I don't think that resources will lead to kingdom scale wars; unless a kingdom is managed poorly, or its leaders are already bent on war.

Unlike games like EVE the focus of CoE is storyline progression and RP. There isn't a big enough incentive to launch full kingdom scale pvp, wherein the goal is overthrowing a king.

Kings would need a casus belli to claim thrones, and it is unlikely that a nation wouldn't fight tooth and nail to keep a foreign occupying power out of its throne: Even other nations would be more likely to ally with the attacked nation for the first few years of the game as it would make the attacker nation too much of a threat to ignore.

Skirmishes to establish larger territories are possible, but again most resources will be more easily accessible through trade and dialog, than conflict.

this being said; War is inevitable. its mechanics are devised and set, But I believe most kingdom-scale wars will be prompted by story elements, or general conflicts between users not over specific resources. Damocles316 had the right answer

6/21/2019 2:53:09 AM #5

Posted By Yenyang4 - Thu Jun 20 2019

I don't think that resources will lead to kingdom scale wars; unless a kingdom is managed poorly, or its leaders are already bent on war.

Unlike games like EVE the focus of CoE is storyline progression and RP. There isn't a big enough insensitive to launch full kingdom scale pvp, wherein the goal is overthrowing a king.

I guess you are trying to say "incentive", instead of "insensitive"?

Anyway, CoE's focus is creating a fantasy world where you can take part in whatever activity you wish. That's why, it is not focus on story progression, nor is it focus on crafting, nor combat etc.

Therefore, if a full scale kingdom war breaks out, it "should be" because of multiple reasons. Everyone having their reasons to join the war, while the leadership may have multiple to start it. Or else, some would simply refuse to join the war (no resolve to keep fighting if they join).

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

6/21/2019 3:02:42 AM #6

Forum/discord drama will be the main fuel for war between kingdoms. And it will be glorious.

6/21/2019 3:07:16 AM #7

Posted By Winston_Goodman at 11:02 PM - Thu Jun 20 2019

Forum/discord drama will be the main fuel for war between kingdoms. And it will be glorious.

Popcorn, get yer popcorn here

6/21/2019 3:50:17 AM #8

Posted By Roarer at 9:53 PM - Thu Jun 20 2019

Posted By Yenyang4 - Thu Jun 20 2019

Unlike games like EVE the focus of CoE is storyline progression and RP. There isn't a big enough insensitive to launch full kingdom scale pvp, wherein the goal is overthrowing a king.

I guess you are trying to say "incentive", instead of "insensitive"?

Anyway, CoE's focus is creating a fantasy world where you can take part in whatever activity you wish. That's why, it is not focus on story progression, nor is it focus on crafting, nor combat etc.

Therefore, if a full scale kingdom war breaks out, it "should be" because of multiple reasons. Everyone having their reasons to join the war, while the leadership may have multiple to start it. Or else, some would simply refuse to join the war (no resolve to keep fighting if they join).

To be fair; I had just consumed two bottle of wine and I was surprised I was as legible as I was;

but I wanted to clarify "Story" progression, I mean a User's story; not some orchestrated lore or quest line. The devs have so far stated that the "Story" of the game is progressed by player decision and action, not so much a set list of events; this is what I was referring to.

I also meant to say that "There isnt enough incentive to have such a war over resources alone"

6/21/2019 7:06:00 AM #9

Tbh it's a game and people will naturally want wars.

6/21/2019 1:19:38 PM #10

5 years after launch there might be a Kingdom war, but I wouldn't expect it for a long time. Border skirmishes over resources will most likely be the main cause, and then ego takes over and pushes it to war.

That or the Kings get tired and say what the heck let's have some fun.

I have a Rocket Launcher. Your Argument is Invalid.

6/21/2019 6:26:19 PM #11

Posted By PhKnight at 09:19 AM - Fri Jun 21 2019

That or the Kings get tired and say what the heck let's have some fun.

Don't rule out the fact that some Kings may have just spent their money because leading an entire Kingdom into war is their sole aim.

Whether it is counterproductive or deleterious to the greater game itself, is another issue altogether.

People can, and do, spend a lot of money on really silly, selfish, self-indulgent things if they have the means.

Never underestimate the ego of anyone.

Especially those in power.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

6/21/2019 6:44:14 PM #12

@kajoreh That's so very true. That would suck for the King who gets attacked and overruled after paying all that money to become a king. Still. Need to raise an army and be able to afford the push.

I have a Rocket Launcher. Your Argument is Invalid.

6/21/2019 7:43:31 PM #13

Posted By PhKnight at 8:44 PM - Fri Jun 21 2019

@kajoreh That's so very true. That would suck for the King who gets attacked and overruled after paying all that money to become a king. Still. Need to raise an army and be able to afford the push.

Money just gets you a title, it's on you to keep it.

6/21/2019 10:35:06 PM #14

Resource will likely happen, it's kind of a running trend throughout human history. Rare material will force conflict at some point if the risk of full scale war is worth it. I see no reason why a video game that lacks any real consequences will be any different.

UDL

6/21/2019 10:44:15 PM #15

Posted By UDLAlkaline at 5:35 PM - Fri Jun 21 2019

Resource will likely happen, it's kind of a running trend throughout human history. Rare material will force conflict at some point if the risk of full scale war is worth it. I see no reason why a video game that lacks any real consequences will be any different.

Especially since every biome is guaranteed to have unique resources.

But taking that much land unless it's on your border or a coastline would be a massive undertaking, and would require very poor diplomacy.

For resources in general- being proactive never hurt anyone. Apart from everyone involved in said war.