COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What's your plan if you get lost?

If you or you and a friend, find that you have wondered off too far from the nearest settlement and all you can see is wilderness all around you. What is your plan?

The Keshi family, is intend on bringing democracy and economic stability to Elyria.

6/25/2019 1:52:19 AM #1

Look at the landscape and find a valley

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren

6/25/2019 1:58:24 AM #2

Following the stars

6/25/2019 2:02:36 AM #3

Well i'd use the compass and map i would have and retrace our steps. But lets just say me nor my friend has neither of those things. I would still try to retrace our steps and remember where we may have lost our steps. Maybe look out for smoke signals from camps or villages, and if coe has wind patterns of some sort in the game then id follow the wind directions.

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

6/25/2019 2:30:29 AM #4

Honestly? Probably die a horrible death by bandit or something. XD

6/25/2019 2:51:00 AM #5

In similar games, when I'm travelling blindly, I try to find easy to see landmarks from a distance and travel a line between them, and back when I wish to return. This has the disadvantage of occasionally thinking that you're going to the correct rock outcropping (or whatever) only to find it only looks kinda similar. So, not a foolproof plan. If I can get a map and compass, that'd be ideal.

EDIT - I just realized I misread the question. I'd still try to find familiar landmarks. If that fails, I'd try to find fresh water. If it's a lake, I'd explore it to see if there are any settlements around it. If it's a river, I'd follow it in the best general direction that I thought I'd come from and again look for settlements. Fresh water attracts people, animals and plants grow in abundance there (usually). If I can't find anyone immediately, hopefully my survival skills are high enough to forage and hunt long enough that I can survive until I do, and to find shelter. Hopefully, the theoretical plant life by the water will provide enough branches and twigs to create a lean-to, or another form of shelter from the elements and someplace to sleep. My main concerns are shelter and drinkable water.

Tentative plans: To'resk, looking to settle in the Kingdom of Riftwood, NA - W Angelica.

6/25/2019 3:22:09 AM #6

"everybody's got the one option, you want it bad enough"

6/25/2019 3:29:14 AM #7

Walk in one direction until finding a road. Follow that back to whatever town. Failing that, find some hill/mountain to climb and look for signs of life.

6/25/2019 3:36:01 AM #8

Climb the tallest mountain I can find and start a monastery.

Hïgh Græÿ: Service not Glory

6/25/2019 3:38:05 AM #9

Move downhill until you find a stream. Follow the stream until you hit a settlement or the coast. Try not to die on the way. ;)

6/25/2019 3:59:31 AM #10

To cut a path through anything that opposes me.

After Rock three my sword got pretty dull though.

6/25/2019 6:15:29 AM #11

Posted By Sackeshi at

If you or you and a friend, find that you have wondered off too far from the nearest settlement and all you can see is wilderness all around you. What is your plan?

6/25/2019 6:27:02 AM #12

Same thing I have done IRL when I don't know where I am. Go in one direction until I find something that can get me to where I want to go. So that'd be a road, a settlement, or the ocean (in which case I go along the coast until I hit a port town).

6/25/2019 7:39:08 AM #13

Move to the highest visible ground. Scout for settlements or waterways. If no settlements, go to nearest waterway and follow it (downstream if not near coast, upstream if near coast) until you find a settlement. If neither are visible, scout the another high point further off and head for that.

When originally moving out though, always take note of major landmarks, and if moving through a large forest without a compass, leave markers every so often.

In Minecraft I build a little stone tower and plop a torch on it on top of each major mountain landmark, each one visible to the next, so I can follow them back home. Retrieve the torches on my way back. If you can do similar it works in place of a compass.

6/25/2019 2:10:56 PM #14

im gonna pray someone i know finds me XD

6/25/2019 2:17:57 PM #15

Since im planning to do a lot of exploring, i have to plan to be lost some time (due to mistakes, weather, broken equipment, beasts/criminals or lack of skills).

But no panic, Sit down and think, waste no stamina running around without a plan. Observe, orientate, decide, act.