COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Combat Analysis I

Video of shared melee combat Video of Combat Animation One Persons thoughts.

Resting Position:

Front left leg extended with back right bent, slight hip turn allowing for the sword to be hidden behind the body...leaving The opponent guessing the reach of the sword between body length and angle its being held.

Vulnerability:

With more weight on the front leg and having it extended would mean an attack on their left would be harder to dodge without falling when already being attacked on the right without moving out of range of the attack. A good counter would be more then one attacker at opposing ends , or a bow with an arrow aimed to push the defender on their left with another quick shot.

Attack Pattern 1: (5 sec) "Look at my pretty sword attack"

Raised sword away from the body with a quick lunge, a Downward slash into a cocked back swing and twirl, diagonal sheathing motion to return to resting position.

Vulnerability:

Motion 1 (lunge) keeps the stance open to counter or parry. Vulnerable to side attacks and anything with a longer range then the sword.
Motion 2 (downward slash) ... Useful if forward lunge was parried to push an opponent back..However the legs are wide open for a leg sweep or a longer reached weapon then the sword.
Motion 3 .., (wound up back swing twirl and swing.) Pure Gold for a quick and deadly counter. The 1st movement revealed the attack range, the 2nd was a delay on a charge..With a good parry on the first motion, a step delay on the 2nd... Its open season till the huge swing comes in...after The swing dodge to either side and it bypasses the twirl which gives additional reach via an extra step.

With the return to the Initial position, and an opponent still to the side it remains open season till the next pattern starts.

Mini-synopsis: Best if used 1v1 duel , with a less defensive / mobile /ranged opponent coming right at you.

Attack Pattern 2: (5 sec) "Eww get away from me attack"

Same Lunge,Front Leg Kick,Twist away from opponent balled up wide downward arc, delayed return to rest position.

Vulnerability:

Motion 1 is the same as mentioned before.
Motion 2 swaps out the sword swipe for a kick..Depending on the force this could deter a tank shield charge..Staggering the opponent...if It connects...if Not its not till near the end of the 3rd motion that another attack goes out... Perfect for heavy damage.
Motion 3 allows for every critical strike you can think of before the forward arc goes out...heart,lungs,arteries,head Are all easy targets..The one thing going for it is the stronger leg stance..But the weight would be on the front leg again and still vulnerable to a leg sweep. Near the end of the motion recovery time is long following the attack.
Mini-synopsis: If strength is high enough and a stagger happens after the kick, the following power attack can do some damage.

Attack Pattern 3: (6 Sec) - "speak softly and carry a big stick attack"

upward swipe, Pommel Trust, forward downward facing wide bent slash,overhead chop, back step return to rest position.

Vulnerability

Motion 1 , the attack itself wouldn't do much damage and leave the arm and torso open for heavy blows.
Motion 2 , ( favorite move in the series ) this is a hard counter and takes advantage of where the sword already is in the form. However weight is forward using the spring of the back leg...therefore Open to a grapple, simple duck or heavy attack timed to counter the lower weight shift and therefore stagger.
Motion 3, (least favorite move in the series) this attack figuratively screams take the head. Open entirely on the offhand and moves the head forward without any protection with the sword as far away from the body as you can get.
Motion 4 , bringing the sword fully around the body for an over head swing leaves a large room for being attacked, and an easy dodge. Completely open again into the squat till rest position.
Mini-synopsis: Good DPS if used in a group, trying to keep a larger or stronger opponent off balance while trying to do the most damage quickly without fear of being targeted.

Attack Pattern 4: (4 Sec) "Texas two Step"

upward swipe with rotated forward step, downward slash rotated forward step , big wide chop, return to rest position.

Vulnerability:

Motion 1 , (Swipe) Almost swatting the enemy getting into position for the next move. Legs, Torso, Head open.
Motion 2 , (Slash) The 2nd attack in all these forms coming from the left...and It can mess your day up more then a pommel strike. However the forward elbow gives away the attack and it following leaves the body open to any attack..While the sword is thrown away.
Motion 3, (chop) instead of taking the already out sword from the previous move it is instead brought around the body with a step raised again for the chop. Same transition as before, same result.
Mini-synopsis: quick right, left, right swings and a chop...easy To predict though and while a strong attack pattern, it is open to timing counters. Best if used as button mash for that little extra push.

End- Synopsis:

Attack Pattern 1 - One V One me bro.

Attack Pattern 2 - Kick and pray for a stagger.

Attack Pattern 3 - I think this is to kill unarmored one armed, one legged purple people eaters ... In a group ?

Attack Pattern 4 - "Slashy, Slashy".

6/29/2019 10:45:04 PM #1

I think you are wwwaaaaay over thinking this mate, I don't expect the stances or the move sets with the weapons to be this detailed. If it does end up tike this it would be often. either way great post dude :)

6/29/2019 11:10:48 PM #2

Pre-Alpha!

And the video says duelist animations. Different tribes may have different traditions regarding duels.

How and when you may do it (wild example: maybe the noble demand the duelist to perform a dance at the same time for entertainment)

We do not know the context of those animations.

6/29/2019 11:55:36 PM #3

Understandable, I simply like taking things apart...and in this example its a combat style. I do hope they continue development and animate styles that mesh well together and move sets we can alter or add into our own personal preferences... a dullest, a berserker, a shield maiden, maybe even a move set solely for countering.

I know the dev team has a strong focus on combat now with the pre-alpha being developed... my hope is that we can open a dialog to have combat be more then forward attacks and pillar humping like in so many PvP arenas.