COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Market Watch UI?

I'm just curious. For players who are interested in an economic focus in-game, will there be a possible interface for checking the current market value of products or (in the event that kingdoms begin to mint/print unique tender) exchange rates for different currencies?

Originally I had figured this would just be something done manually by the players, but given the scope of the world maps and the level of technology, information would almost certainly be outdated by the time it's gathered. So I'm just curious if SBS has any interface in store for observing economic trends as well as other leading and coincidental indicators.

7/3/2019 7:27:55 PM #1

I can't speak for SBS, but I'd see something like this as going against the idea of much of the gameplay CoE has in mind, particularly crafts and trading.

I think all types of data must really only travel at the speed of the game world... i.e. I shouldn't know the price of gold in a city across the continent right now. However, we might employ a messenger on a weekly basis to make the trip to retrieve current pricing and return with the news.

Of course, they can't stop your friend in that city from checking on it for you, and letting you know in Discord :)

So I do think it will happen via players more manually and I think it's ok that the information might be a bit out of date to act on. That's what makes for some adventure!

World Class Indoorsman

7/3/2019 7:38:56 PM #2

I'd speculate that if such a thing were to exist that it would be tied to the level of technology in the world.

As a matter of preference though, I'd like to see players handle this in their own way and not necessarily force pricing to be dictated by a global standard. On the free market side, this would be a great role for organizations to own (in the spheres of their interest or influence), and by not creating that kind of information system, SBS would allow the need to exist which would drive the creation of player run organizations. On the more interventionist side, pricing controls could be dictated by player governments and allow for ideas like "social welfare" to have a place, if people are really interested in doing those kinds of things.

As a matter of expedience, I think it would be better for SBS to not burden themselves with building things like this, especially when they could just provide API access to item pricing data and delegate the creation of desired tools to the community.

7/3/2019 11:11:46 PM #3

Some kingdoms are setting up charts and statistics for all of this but its all in the meta.