COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Trolls and Negative player chat

Just look at some of the posts on the CoE Forums. You'll see new accounts with less then 10 posts pop up and complain, whine, and hctib because they feel they know better then everyone else on how to make CoE, and that it should have been released 1 or 2 years after they started to coding.

My question is this: In Game. Can/Should a ruler be allowed exile a player because they are being to negative, a troll always trying to start arguments, or just down right hating on everything and will not stop yelling about it in chat? I am not just talking about a couple players complaining about a person. I am talking about 50 or 100 people complaining about a player being very negative in chat.

The reason is this. Barrens Chat. Some of you know what that means. Those who do not it's simple. "Barrens chat is like a stupidity centrifuge, distilling the unexpurgated banal thoughts of a thousand morons into a hardened impenetrable lump of smacktardery, spilling endlessly across the bottom of your screen." WoWPedia.

So, Should a ruler be allowed to exile a player because the town has decided they do not want to hear anymore of it?

I have a Rocket Launcher. Your Argument is Invalid.

7/11/2019 10:34:21 PM #1

I think the aim is to separate the player chat from character chat. Players can chat freely on discord, the forums etc. but in game they will be conversing as their character. If you look at the communication dev diaries it does seem likely that most in-game player interactions will follow a multi-choice dialogue tree.

The only thing that person would be able to resort to In game would be deviancy, for which the community will have every opportunity to punish or exile them.

In the meta-game, discord/forums, just block them or ignore them.

7/12/2019 12:40:16 AM #2

When in character, free speech should not be considered a right. If you as a lord are offended by the public speech of a subordinate character in your realm, you may be within your game-legal rights to take in-game action against them. It would of course depend on whether a superior domain to yours has a law guaranteeing free speech.

7/12/2019 1:23:22 AM #3

A ruler definitely can exile/punish an annoying player, they wouldn't even need a reason. If someone wants to play the role of an evil tyrant then the game certainly would allow it and i'm sure the devs would even encourage it as a way of creating a good story.

the only real problem is that there's no way a lord could do that without appearing as a tyrant. From the perspective of npcs they would see it as an innocent person being punished.

We can't really speculate how much it would take before npc's would try to overthrow a player lord but that is something they would have to consider before punishing people for things like being annoying in the chat.

we could make it a rule that you will be killed for spamming the chat, but npcs would not understand this and just think that the lord is randomly having people killed. you need to keep this kinda stuff in mind since the npcs are supposed to outnumber the players and they can become discontent if they think their lord is corrupt, or at least that's the kind of think the devs are aiming for.

7/12/2019 2:54:03 AM #4

Unless there does turn out to be some kind of county chat. One person doing any sort of complaining, won't really have much of an effect on anything. It's pretty much the main reason people don't want voice chat in. Nothing like some kid screaming in his mic for hours on end. I can't see this really being a problem.

As for people complaining about the game should be out, though I can't find it now. For a long time, somewhere on the main page of this website. It said full launch was coming this year. Maybe SBS finally removed it. But can't really blame people for seeing that, then believing it.

7/12/2019 3:51:44 PM #5

Posted By Gunnlang at 10:54 PM - Thu Jul 11 2019

>people don't want voice chat in.

Please keep repeating this to anyone that will hear it.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

7/13/2019 8:01:00 AM #6

Posted By kajoreh at 11:51 AM - Fri Jul 12 2019

Posted By Gunnlang at 10:54 PM - Thu Jul 11 2019

>people don't want voice chat in.

Please keep repeating this to anyone that will hear it.

Not a fan of voice chat myself. I like how typing forces people to properly construct what they want to say.

A while back Caspian talked about what you hear being correlated to distance, which seems to be more of a hassle then just using a distance correlated text chat. Though, I am not sure if that is still something that is thought of being done.

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

7/13/2019 8:44:06 PM #7

I dunno, what would a village be without a few idiots?

I'd prefer SBS be the final arbitrators of what is considered unacceptable chat in game as some players really can't be trusted to handle such decisions in the best interests of the game community overall.

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

7/14/2019 2:45:06 AM #8

Posted By Kyleran at 06:44 AM - Sun Jul 14 2019

I'd prefer SBS be the final arbitrators of what is considered unacceptable chat in game as some players really can't be trusted to handle such decisions in the best interests of the game community overall.

So much this. Wouldn't take much for a bunch of mates to grief the hell out of randoms. Been playing GTAV online lately. It's surprising how fast I get myself kicked for killing a few guys, that all happen to be mates. Wouldn't want to see groups just having an easy way to exile anyone from their towns.

7/14/2019 2:45:52 AM #9

You can kick anyone out of your discord of course, but, as was mentioned in an earlier post (and inexplicably down voted), NPCs aren't aware of OOC actions or drama that happens outside of the game. Unless that person is a nuisance or lawbreaker in game banishing them from the kingdom, at worst will be seen as tyrannic thuggery, at best questionable judgement on the part of the ruler. You must convince the NPCs you're ordering to enforce or go along with the banishment that it's for a good reason.

7/24/2019 4:06:22 PM #10

If you're being hunted by the locals for angering them, CoE already has a solution: relocate.

Historically, people do get driven out of towns for becoming a local pariah. No reason SbS should intervene to prevent that.

Players are likely to be one of the most valuable resources. A PC is always going to be more productive than an NPC, especially wrt production towards local goals. No one will drive away a good player without a reason. Don't be a jerk, and folks will typically welcome the additional manpower. If you want to be a jerk, why should SbS shield you from the consequences?

7/25/2019 1:19:12 PM #11

Wanted to touch on a couple things.

Posted By Quintero at 12:06 PM - Wed Jul 24 2019

If you're being hunted by the locals for angering them, CoE already has a solution: relocate.

Historically, people do get driven out of towns for becoming a local pariah. No reason SbS should intervene to prevent that.

A historical point of argument isn't a really good one in games. Historically lower classes were often used as pseudo-slave labor but this doesn't add anything to the gameplay so it being historical is irrelevant. Games inherently forego historical accuracy for enjoyable gameplay. Nothing really enjoyable or engaging about losing all your progress because someone had a bad day. "Oh yay, I built up this amazing farm over 5 months" Gets eviction notice

No one will drive away a good player without a reason.

A very bold claim that every single multiplayer RPG community makes right before the game turns into a slug-fest. The problem people usually make with this claim is they always rationalize what the most strategic viewpoint would be then for a lack of better words "assume" the masses would obviously take the best route. It almost never works out like this. No one (comparatively) in practice is going to care about the value of a PC vs an NPC even though it puts them in a disadvantage.

Ive never seen a cooperative game community not say they are going to be different and people won't grief them like in other games at this point.

I don't know anymore.

7/26/2019 4:47:34 AM #12

Posted By Quintero at 02:06 AM - Thu Jul 25 2019

Players are likely to be one of the most valuable resources. A PC is always going to be more productive than an NPC,

I have always thought the opposite really. An online player is naturally always going to be better. But depending how well people can really script their OPCs. Seems offline, an NPC would be way better. Can easily change depending on the situation. Seeing as people will spend most of their day in OPC mode. NPC become way more important.

And yeah as Takeda_Shinukage said, players will be jerks for the sake of being a jerk. I don't see that suddenly changing.

7/26/2019 6:43:38 PM #13

Yeah I'm not a fan of playing games with headsets so not a big voice chat fan either, just as long as there is a way I can 'hear/see' what the party wants/is doing.

I think implementing massively in depth macro 'phases/signals' to make a command system would work for players AND npcs/opcs... Also if the devs continue to work with players and add custom 'tribal'/community actions/signals that only they would know in the future that would be awesome (as well as a way for outsiders to learn them possibly)

8/8/2019 8:42:23 PM #14

looked to me like different kingdoms are doing things their own way as far as the law.

I can't tell yet, but it looked like we could choose our government but not our landscape. sucks for me because I will deal with the government but not the landscape necessarily.

6D242B