COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What map does Snipehunters tease pic come from?

It's not from Map H

So let's put our brains to use and figure it out

7/17/2019 1:16:49 PM #1

It's in a grassland area. That's what I have so far.

BF3AB9 ?

7/17/2019 1:36:25 PM #2

He is showing off my county. Doesn't that island look awesome?

7/17/2019 1:52:19 PM #3

Looks like Selene Kipiq South Duchy. But I am from my mobile is not very clear.

7/17/2019 2:55:22 PM #4

From Talas;

That brown speckling is Grasslands/Tall Grasses according to Legend example

On the County level zoom (16m) of map H, only two biomes have that grasslands marker. Shrublands and Grasslands. Use to cross-reference biome to stylized map.

I don't think it's Shrublands because of the color difference:

It's Settlement zoom based off the resolution of the Grasslands legend marker, you can compare it in the above picture. It's odd how much water the Grasslands on Map H have though :thinking: Because of the difference in waters displayed from Voting Map to DSS Stylize Map it's impossible to say which server it's on

7/17/2019 3:09:32 PM #5

I.D. pointed out that Caspian mentioned the Tidal Marsh and Grasslands meshes messed up up on the Map H stylized example. Makes sense with how much water was displayed in the grasslands.

Caspian: Yeah. That was called out by others. Since these are procedurally generated and not hand drawn, if the parse sees the biome mask in the wrong place, it generates the biome in the wrong place. My best guess is that, since we only use Map H for testing, that the grasslands and Tidal Marsh masks got swapped at some point. It would be fixed before anyone steps on the map for realz.

So revision: The screenshot is in Marsh, which is what current Map H example Grassland looks like.

7/17/2019 6:32:10 PM #6

The grasslands aren't "wet" the way the marshes, wetlands, swamps, and bogs are: The soil isn't super saturated, so it's not consistently water-logged and/or a muddy mire. But it's also not arid, which means water does come into the biome and, because of the way the soil works, what water there is that doesn't make it into the aquifers and the water table then has to run off. Which it does into streams, rivers and lakes.

While things on H were wonky, no question, don't expect a complete absence of water in the grassland. Rather instead expect the water to be relatively localized to waterways and lakes/ponds.

As an example, here's where I lived in Colorado back in the day, where the prairie grassland met the foothills: See the water?

All those little streams and ponds, excluding the reservoir, are natural features of the area created by the topology, average rainfall, springs, and soil conditions.

There is some water in almost every biome. Even the Semi-Arid Desert has a few instances of surface water here and there.

Not that answers the question, but I hope it helps! :)

• Snipehunter
7/17/2019 9:52:30 PM #7

Are you f'n kidding me? I live in Longmont now!

7/17/2019 10:33:32 PM #8

Posted By mightyfish at 2:52 PM - Wed Jul 17 2019

Are you f'n kidding me? I live in Longmont now!

Heh! It's not like it's special or anything, but I loved living there. :)

• Snipehunter