COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Only a Knight can make a Knight.

So there's another thread concerning the usage of the knight title in game and it got me thinking.

Why are we limiting the creation of Knights to just Dukes and Duchesses? This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, particularly when we start dealing with Knightly Orders and such.

Obviously this is my personal view so if folks disagree that's cool but so far as I can see the best people to make that decision is any Noble who takes on a military role so Kings, Dukes, Counts and even Barons, in fact especially Barons as they'll be in direct contact with the Men-At-Arms who fight for the Kingdom.

Hell anyone who has the title of Knight should be able to Knight their Squire or such. If a Knight is the Captain of a mercenary Company he should be able to dub his Men-At-Arms for great feats of arms.

Apologies for rambling, but Knighthood is a big deal for me and will be an integral part of my game so I don't understand why it is being so limited as to be almost unattainable by most warrior.

8/24/2019 7:54:55 AM #1

Just have your Duke or king bestow it on you. I think Counts might even be able to do it.

8/24/2019 10:07:10 AM #2

So I have a feeling the reason they limited the grant of knighthood to kings and dukes is to make it a reward, both for service and socially/politically.

Knights in our world during the medieval period were almost universally from certain social classes with a certain view of the world. Why were there so few knights? No nonsense about upholding valour and charity and shit, it's because to be a knight you had to be from the upper classes (or impress a member of the upper classes so much he wanted to reward you).

Knighthood was limited by social class and the fact that if a knight went around knighting everyone other knights would stop it (violently) - which was easy to do since the aristocracy of Europe in the period was fairly tightly knit. On the other hand in CoE the institution doesn't have the same protections that it did irl this means if every knight could knight there is very little to prevent the institution from becoming debased. Thus SbS have limited the number of people who can knight, even if some of them, like me, intend to utilise it in a similar way to medieval knighthoods rather than modern ones.

Coming Soon(tm)

8/24/2019 4:13:55 PM #3

I actually appreciate the creative direction of this post, even though I don’t particularly agree with the idea. It kind of reminded me of Game of Thrones, when Jamie Lannister knighted Brienne of Tarth during the long night. His famous line. “Any Knight can Knight a Knight.”

In Elyria, I see why they want it to be exclusive and rare, similar with titling Barons. A lot players who bought the Barony pack may not qualify to be a Baron and will sadly just have to settle with being a Mayor. Same concept with Knights, it is a decision from the higher ups based on merit. Or else it will become like an ESO vampire bite. Imagine spams on a trade website: “I will knight you for 100 gold.” Nah, we don’t want a bunch of Knights Knighting players in Elyria. It has to be something special and we want the Knights to stand out from the rest of the warriors, socially, so Elyria can feel real and unique. Fairness and Equality is what is hurting modern MMO’s—everyone being able to achieve everything. I am hoping for uniqueness and individuality in characters.

8/24/2019 4:22:42 PM #4

There are two different ideas of knighthood in play here. First is the literary idea of some wandering free warrior, the knight errant, who is part of a loose self-selecting brotherhood of knights, rather like an outlaw biker gang. In that context, only a knight can make a knight (much as only a Bandido can make a Bandido).

The model COE is following is the more current, real and robust one of knightly orders. Those were all created by Royal or Grand-ducal authority to recognize some notable achievement or public service. Think of the British Honours System. I hope the system is robust enough to have multiple levels/seniority of knighthood (although probably not to the depth and complexity of the British Honours System).

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

8/24/2019 4:59:40 PM #5

Posted By Beathan at 5:22 PM - Sat Aug 24 2019

I hope the system is robust enough to have multiple levels/seniority of knighthood (although probably not to the depth and complexity of the British Honours System).

Well, you know the old joke about what KCMG and GCMG (Knight Commander of the Garter and Knight Grand Cross of the Garter respectively) really mean....

Coming Soon(tm)

8/25/2019 3:39:36 AM #6

A very real reason why there were so few knights IRL is that when the title meant something in terms of combat proficiency, it came along with the need to own a substantial amount of land in order to afford the equipment. In CoE that approximates to being at least Bloodline level with enough extra parcels of land to generate sufficient income. The RL equivalent is a manor with tenants or employees working the land. (There is an English term for the minimum amount of land considered necessary to support a knight but it escapes me for the moment.)

CoE doesn't have an analogous system that I am aware of. To help replicate one, anyone with the ability to bestow knighthood would also need to have the ability to bestow the land necessary to make the knight economically self-sufficient, IMO.

8/25/2019 9:21:01 AM #7

Posted By Poldano at 04:39 AM - Sun Aug 25 2019

(There is an English term for the minimum amount of land considered necessary to support a knight but it escapes me for the moment.)

Knight’s Fee

It’s also a measure for taxation and of practical power. Barons had more than 10 (but usually 20+) knights fees and Earls held 100s.

Given that irl fees are between 1000 and 5000 acres (parcels) I think the equivalent would be around 10 parcels in coe terms depending on the parcel worth

Coming Soon(tm)

9/1/2019 8:04:51 PM #8

If the title "knight" in CoE is similar to its historical use, then it would be an honorary title not linked to land (i.e. not a hereditary title). A knight could be a land holder as well, but it would not be a requirement of the title. I agree that they would likely be landholders in the case they are expected to provide their own equipment and staff. However, there is nothing preventing a knight from being funded by their lord.

In essence, knights are sworn vassals of their lord/lady, protectors of the realm. Which lord they owe allegiance to is a good question if nobles other than the monarch, such as Dukes/Duchesses, can grant the title. I would assume their title grants them a higher level of access to their lord than the average subject, and could come with the authority to carry out specific royal commissions such as that of an explorer or marshal.

Knights would be part of the nobility but usually at the bottom end, among the gentry. I would not think a fee would be required to maintain the title apart from other fees such as those related to any landholdings, since the title would mainly be used by monarchs to recognize their sworn oath as a warrior.

Aeran Kruefaal -- Skaradrin Brudvir, town of Fross, in the Duchy of the Anemoi, pledged to Vornair

9/1/2019 8:56:58 PM #9

Knights= politics Knights will be like propaganda for the commoners. They might see fighting in this war might give them a chance to become a knight .

While nobles might try get it to bring prestige for there family Most likely if a commoner gets knight . they might be scary deadly like win a 7 v1 in a war. IF noble become night either they have connections or the king just want them to rally troops. (But still most nobles that are knights might not be push overs in a duel since most likely they train from a young age if they come from family of knights.). I wont say no commoner will be a knight just know pretty sure it will be tough . Like a commoner marrying a princess it can happen but does the king want a commoner marrying his daughter or a strong noble with tittles. ;]

Brudvier power hail the pack

9/1/2019 9:35:04 PM #10

I'll have a county in my duchy already named Knightland. Does this mean there won't be any knights there? And my capitol county will obviously be making the armor. But who am I going to be selling my shining armor too without knights?

9/1/2019 11:59:43 PM #11

My question is rather simple, though I don't believe this has been answered or debated, picture this scenario:

• You're a man part of a Kingdom that happens to travel to a different Kingdom for whatever reason. Once you reach your destination you happen to see a Duke/King in distress and rush to their aid. You effectively save their lives. That Duke/King decides to award you the Knight title.

If something like that were to happen, for argument sake, let's believe it to be the case, would your Knight title transition over all across the continent, or just be regional (i.e only recognised in the place the title has been bestowed upon you). If the latter is the case, then I'd assume that once you return to your home Kingdom, despite you being made a "Knight", it wouldn't be recognised as you were not made a knight in your home Kingdom?

Just something that popped into my mind when reading this discussion.

9/2/2019 12:15:07 AM #12

i would like to think that your knighthood transcends boundaries which is respected by all the kingdoms.

9/2/2019 12:26:43 AM #13

Chipla just saved me typing the same reply.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

9/2/2019 12:09:46 PM #14

Posted By SqueakyWheels at 5:35 PM - Sun Sep 01 2019

I'll have a county in my duchy already named Knightland. Does this mean there won't be any knights there? And my capitol county will obviously be making the armor. But who am I going to be selling my shining armor too without knights?

Men-at-arms?