COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
There was almost no time to SHINE!

Hail Elyrians!

Sorry for the lateness of the hour! It was a really busy day in the studio and while I knew what I wanted the shiny to be today from the get go, getting the chance to actually show it off was harder than I thought it would be!

So why was today so busy? Two reasons: First, today is a playtest day, which means the entire team takes time in the afternoon to play the current pre-alpha build and have a look at what's going on. I spend a lot of time on playtest days considering folks comments and issues with the game, what we might need to do to address them, and trying to find where things can be better even if we don't need larger changes.

Second, today was also the day I'd set aside this week to work on a certain thing related to the anniversary we like to celebrate every year. Without spoiling too much, I had to look up how certain engines of war worked in medieval times, and I had to have conversations with folks on the team about said engines of war, and their place in the game.

It was also a review day with the animation team, so we got the chance to see the combat animations the crew was working on, and discuss with them the gameplay implications of the current revisions, etc.

It was a fun day, just a long one!

But, all day I'd been thinking, "I can't wait to just jump in to the game, and film it so I can show that as today's shiny!" and guess what?

That's exactly what I did!

Sadly, I jumped into the playtest late, so conditions weren't ideal, but in the video you'll see me walk around, talk to some NPCs, complete a contract, gain some knowledge, meet new people, go for a swim, and then get schooled when I decide to play Frontenious and try to kill a bunch of perfectly innocent NPCs. (Spoilers, I escape justice, but I was this "" close to getting what I deserved.)

I did try to edit out the more boring bits where I was just running in the dark, so you'll see a few crossfades. If you're interested in what you missed, just call out where it happened and I'll explain. It was just a 17 minute video without cuts, so I figured I'd try to make it easier to watch. :)

Alright, I've said more than enough I think, so please enjoy: Prelyria Client Playtest Footage

Stay shiny my friends!

• Snipehunter
9/6/2019 1:46:30 AM #1

Looking good!

9/6/2019 1:46:51 AM #2

Oooh nice! I was only just wondering about hair styles too.

9/6/2019 1:47:52 AM #3

awesome shiny

9/6/2019 1:50:09 AM #4

Niceeee

9/6/2019 1:50:30 AM #5

How great does that look! Thanks Snipe!

FEAR NO DARKNESS

9/6/2019 1:55:30 AM #6

I know this is obviously very early, but is this how combat mechanics will work? Tab target with a button mash per attack?

9/6/2019 2:08:52 AM #7

i have to say this: AMAZING finally we get to see real gameplay footage. I have to show this to all my friends not in the forum, who think CoE is just vaporware. I am looking forward to see the game improve.

carnead Die Entdecker und Verteidiger Avagasts suchen DICH! Egal welcher Berufsstand in unserer Stadt ist für jeden platz! [Geselle dich zu uns!] https://discord.gg/Sc6TyGR

9/6/2019 2:10:24 AM #8

Top shiny snipe it was good to watch.

Just a lonely peasant on the road looking towards a distance future with the sweat on my back and a tear of cloth in my hand a family crest it must be. A adventure will i have, I dream of dreams my destiny awakens me.

Friend Code: A48E0C

9/6/2019 2:21:58 AM #9

Wonderful progress. I love seeing the astronomical bodies being used as an immersive compass.

The dialogue system is interesting and presents a very familiar vibe to that of Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, in its current state. In other words, nostalgia-inducing but possessing a ton of character in its own right.

I've a critique with Hadwasa referring to Awevweesk's "breeches" in the singular rather than in the plural with 'those.'

The dialogue system recognizing and adjusting to those small changes does something amazing to me that just feels so good!

SbS's progress is very exciting, altogether, and today's shiny is a great highlight of that.

9/6/2019 2:24:23 AM #10

Posted By Merek_Rainier at 11:55 AM - Fri Sep 06 2019

I know this is obviously very early, but is this how combat mechanics will work? Tab target with a button mash per attack?

That isn't what is happening in the video.

9/6/2019 2:24:43 AM #11

Very nice work! Thank you for sharing!

67CAC0

"Different denotes neither bad nor good, but it certainly means not the same."

-Just a lowly beekeeper

9/6/2019 2:40:13 AM #12

Posted By Taymuraz at 10:24 PM - Thu Sep 05 2019

It is though. And when I asked the same question in discord he responded with 'Right, each attack technique is a fixed attack, like in a game like Devil May Cry, or God of War, or something like that. There's a hell of a lot more to developing skill in the system than just hoping you hit dodge at the right time, but most of that comes from understanding tactically which attack is the right attack to throw, knowing which attack to throw, and understanding your positioning on the field in relation to your opponent, their combat style, their weapon, etc.'

I know there will be a little more to it, but I was hoping for directional targeting or more skill on offense than knowing which stance or attack to use at the time. As long as it turns out to truly be skill based I don't care how it works.

9/6/2019 2:59:50 AM #13

Posted By Merek_Rainier at 12:40 PM - Fri Sep 06 2019

Posted By Taymuraz at 10:24 PM - Thu Sep 05 2019

It is though. And when I asked the same question in discord he responded with 'Right, each attack technique is a fixed attack, like in a game like Devil May Cry, or God of War, or something like that. There's a hell of a lot more to developing skill in the system than just hoping you hit dodge at the right time, but most of that comes from understanding tactically which attack is the right attack to throw, knowing which attack to throw, and understanding your positioning on the field in relation to your opponent, their combat style, their weapon, etc.'

I know there will be a little more to it, but I was hoping for directional targeting or more skill on offense than knowing which stance or attack to use at the time. As long as it turns out to truly be skill based I don't care how it works.

You should check out the combat shiny thread. Snipe covers a lot of this stuff in there.

It isn't what is going on.

The camera soft-locks onto whoever you are looking at, to avoid the camera clipping or doing strange things. That can be toggled on and off as you wish though.

The actual attacks are locked re the animation relative to your original position, they don't auto-target the target. As you might notice, he missed with a lot of his attacks in the video.

So there is no combat locking at all.

Knowing which attack type and stance to use is how real life combat works anyway. You move your whole body, especially your feet with any attack in real life. You cannot strafe about sideways while doing huge off-balance swings like you can do in a lot of other free form MMO combat games. Try that irl and you just fall over, or get knocked over.

So what was shown in the video, while rudimentary still as it is pre-alpha, isn't far removed from real life (assuming you were using the same martial arts style mind), and is entirely skill based.

This was all explained in detail to you in the discord at any rate.

9/6/2019 3:00:03 AM #14

I'm curious about the non-diegetic conveying of information seen in the shiny.

When Theljalesh entered within some radius of Greenwater, it gave him that little achievement for doing so. There was also that '+rep' achievement when completing the medicine quest. Both of these, but moreso the former, seem to buck against the idea of intimate interaction with the world itself to obtain information.

Is this sort of tooltip-style info just a part of Prelyria for the sake of letting players focus on combat, quests, etc., or has it been incorporated into the design for the full game? If so, what's the rationale?

9/6/2019 3:09:09 AM #15

Woot! What a shiny! Getting some pre-alpha gameplay out in the wild is huge!

World Class Indoorsman