COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
DEV Q on settlement tribe percentage

I guess this will be a multi-layered question. How are tribe percentages determined in the settlements? The one in question would be in Bordweall, Weristark, Upper Corner (temp name), Scalemouth city (temp name). This is a grasslands duchy. This settlement has 46% Dras and 27% Neran. The entire duchy has 4% Dras (the majority of that comes from Scalemouth's 46%), 88% Neran, and the majority of counties are 2-3% Dras. How did this one settlement become 46% Dras? It is as far away as possible in the duchy (compared to every other settlement) from any swampland or Dras concentrated area.

The majority tribe here doesn't make sense to me. Or any others I've spoken to about it. I'm sure I'll get mixed reviews here on the forum, but I'm hoping for a logical response from someone responsible for the tribe makeups. Honestly, my hope here is that it was overlooked and is a mistake.

Has anyone noticed any other settlements where there is a majority tribe completely out of it's home biome?

The biggest concern here is that their skill set will not transition to a grasslands biome. Also, their skin has a light sensitivity to the point where they receive wounds from sunlight. Will this trait be inactive since they're apparently established here?

Dras are here and there (4% duchy wide) in the area so I would obviously expect a few, but how did 46% come to be in this far out settlement?

Here's a very crude GIF for the location https://imgur.com/a/8QgK0Ez

9/20/2019 5:41:31 AM #1

yeah the population should not be that high lol.

9/20/2019 5:52:53 AM #2

I can speculate that there is a swamp or bog microbiome in that area. We won't know for a while. The name Scalemouth suggests that the place is at the mouth of a stream where reptiles are in abundance. Local wetland microbiomes are to be expected in such places, IRL.

9/22/2019 12:23:54 PM #3

What the heck!! That just doesn't make any sense what so ever! What are they a tribe that has developed thicker skin to avoid the light sensitivity issue?

9/22/2019 12:36:21 PM #4

Posted By Poldano at 3:52 PM - Fri Sep 20 2019

I can speculate that there is a swamp or bog microbiome in that area. We won't know for a while. The name Scalemouth suggests that the place is at the mouth of a stream where reptiles are in abundance. Local wetland microbiomes are to be expected in such places, IRL.

I'm suspecting the microbiome theory is going to be the reason too.

9/23/2019 2:20:19 AM #5

Posted By Ineluki at 08:36 AM - Sun Sep 22 2019

Posted By Poldano at 3:52 PM - Fri Sep 20 2019

I'm suspecting the microbiome theory is going to be the reason too.

I'm gonna disagree based on the top professions listed in the town. It all screams grasslands

9/23/2019 2:41:56 AM #6

Bordweall 15,663 - 21,232 Weristark 323 - 438 Upper Corner 107 - 145 Scalemouth 85 - 115

So... out of the 15663 Dras that live in the Kingdom, 323 live in the duchy. Of the 323 that live in the duchy, 107 live in that county. Of the 107 that live in that county 85 live in that one settlement.

In fact, to break it down more; Auchbone Bight 1, Lothlodel 0, Brownraven Peak 0, Scalemouth 85, Grasspeak 2, Brownport Grave 0, Redrest 4, The Point 0, Gartcorner 4, Aoirest 0, Brownbarn 2, Auchbourne 3, Redpole Point 1, Lasthurst 5

That's using the lowest population of 107 in the county. Add it all up, you get 107. As for why they are even in that biome, who knows. Same answer for the particular settlement, who knows. Maybe they just like it?

9/25/2019 5:59:54 AM #7

I get that it's a small percentage of the kingdom (if that's what you're trying to convey), but the kingdom also has swampland biome down south. My settlement is almost as far as you can get from that biome.

10/11/2019 6:57:11 PM #8

Just bumping to see if I can get an official answer. Or if anyone has seen anything similar in other settlements

10/11/2019 11:28:44 PM #9

It can be just some Dras diaspora. Regarding sunlight we can be sure that while Arid Desert or Shrub Steppe is not good fit for Dras -Grasslands are somewhere lower on scale and better in terms of adaptaility - as long as you have something with shade you are ok, I assume - and Grasslands have trees.

Anyways no one sure how exactly Dras sunlight theme will kick but the fact that you have such diaspora settlement means they can survive in Grasslands ok

10/12/2019 12:38:48 AM #10

Ok so I'm looking at the map, and I can see that the City in question is actually player claimed. This is important, because it means that it is fairly likely that this city has been upgraded from a smaller size of settlement.

Specifically, I am assuming that it used to be a hamlet.

I assume this because a hamlet can have a fairly small population size, even just 15 individuals or less. This means that even a single, modestly sized Dras family could take up a large percentage of the pop in a settlement that small.

….buuuut when you upgrade a settlement you get a ton more population, WITHOUT CHANGING the percentages. It just gets scaled up to the larger number of people.

50% of 2 people is 1 person.

50% of 100 people is 50 people.

It's a big forking difference.

...and I am even more certain that this is the reason for the odd population, since there is actually still a hamlet in the south east of the same county that also has a similar percentage of Dras. It's Lasthurst, and it's estimated pop is only 11-16, the smallest hamlet in the county by far.

So what happened was, the algorithm decided that some Dras families wanted to settle the grassland coastal areas in small family groups, but a mayor saw the hamlets and decided they wanted to play there and upgrade the settlement, inflating the amount of Dras that were there.

10/12/2019 8:29:12 AM #11

It was originally a town and not a Hamlet do I don't think that really applies here

10/12/2019 12:03:07 PM #12

This honestly isn't that unusual. There are examples of whole counties that have the majority tribe being off biome. As folks have mentioned, having a couple dozen Dras families in what looks like a coastal river town isn't all that unusual. Especially since their primary biome is in the same Kingdom, providing a place relatively close they could have moved from in past generations.

As to the sunlight thing, I'm pretty sure folks are blowing that limitation out of proportion. They aren't vampires, they are just pale with thin skin. They are basically just more susceptible to sunburn than your average Neran, but that isn't a huge liability in the grassland. I suspect they deal with it the same as folks do in Earth, namely by covering up or sticking to shade at high noon on the worst days.

10/12/2019 11:29:03 PM #13

Posted By Drunva at 08:03 AM - Sat Oct 12 2019

This honestly isn't that unusual. There are examples of whole counties that have the majority tribe being off biome.

That's good to know. I didn't search a ton, but did look around and really on the coast. Makes me a feel a little better about it I guess.