COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Gliders Talent only petition

There's a petition present already asking if we want gliders present. Personally I don't want to see armies flying over walls either.

However, if we must have gliders present, if would be good if they were HEAVILY capped.

Use the UP arrow if you would like to see gliders restricted ONLY to specific talent users (very rare). These people would be high value assets as messengers and scouts but could still be shot down. Talent user spirit loss as we know is very costly, so such people will be averse to military risk.

Use the DOWN arrow if you would rather NOT see glider use restricted to those with that talent.

9/21/2019 7:11:50 AM #1

Why is this still a thing? So ridiculous.

9/21/2019 7:16:44 AM #2

Personally don't want gliders restricted beyond having weight restrictions and a certain drop height before catching lift. But I wouldn't mind seeing gliders come with a degree of risk beyond that as "exploring" the sky should be no less riskier than exploring the sea. Like that if you got shot down or otherwise fell from the glider you would have a spirit loss comparable to the height you fell from.

9/21/2019 7:29:21 AM #3

I'd like the concept of gliders being a high-risk high-reward investment, as for military involvement I don't see gliders being used in regions outside of mountains and hills environments; that would provide elevation. Areas near sea level wouldn't be bothered by glider scouts. Any cities with tall buildings might be troublesome to navigate. However, before we conquer the skies we must conquer our lands

9/21/2019 8:32:37 AM #4

I don't want gliders suddenly just shoved into the game at all, but uh.... no.

ref This game was a dream. Its dead now.

9/21/2019 1:16:55 PM #5

Gliders completely change the dynamics of the game, and not in a good way.

No more being a social game, people will just take to the sky alone to travel, bypassing not only PVP but courier (no more stealing messages), so there also goes the Spy, Gossip, Banditry ability, and further taking a hit is the economy and game play - don't need to hire guards and/or carriage to protect that message or other valuable object being able to carry while gliding. So now the Wheel Makers, Animal Trainers, Iron Workers for Horse shoes are no longer needed to make/replace the wear and tear.

Hell, if we're going with Gliders, you should just go ahead and renege all the way on your promise about 'fast travel' and implement it totally, gliding is a 'poor man's' fast travel.

Does SBS have any integrity left? Wasn't we told repeatedly Gliders, if at all, would only be available towards end game.

Just another cheap tactic to illicit funds from the Sucker-Born-Every-Minute crowd.

If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization. -Robert Noyce

9/21/2019 2:34:46 PM #6

Posted By Lord_Greystoke at 09:16 AM - Sat Sep 21 2019

Gliders completely change the dynamics of the game, and not in a good way.

No more being a social game, people will just take to the sky alone to travel, bypassing not only PVP but courier (no more stealing messages), so there also goes the Spy, Gossip, Banditry ability, and further taking a hit is the economy and game play - don't need to hire guards and/or carriage to protect that message or other valuable object being able to carry while gliding. So now the Wheel Makers, Animal Trainers, Iron Workers for Horse shoes are no longer needed to make/replace the wear and tear.

Hell, if we're going with Gliders, you should just go ahead and renege all the way on your promise about 'fast travel' and implement it totally, gliding is a 'poor man's' fast travel.

Does SBS have any integrity left? Wasn't we told repeatedly Gliders, if at all, would only be available towards end game.

Just another cheap tactic to illicit funds from the Sucker-Born-Every-Minute crowd.

I'm not sure how you're assuming that the glider pictures i the reward tier could in anyway function as a reasonable long-distance transport. I think folks are hitting the worse case scenario button a little early here where gliders = true flight. Nothing indicates that will be the case and outside of recreation a glider is going to be really impractical.

It's not like gliders became an important means for anything in our own history except as a stepping stone for powered flight. In most cases even if you happen to have a launch point high enough to travel a significant distance, that's going to be a one way trip. Good luck getting the thing back, unless folks are envisioning people using these complex designs as one-offs.

So I doubt that it will change the dynamics of the game overmuch, outside of novel short hops, a new hobby for nobles with extra time, and something for folks to obsess over improving into something half as useful as what folks are assuming they'll be.

9/21/2019 2:42:33 PM #7

TOTALLY opposed to gliders, until after the first five years - we didn't get them until 1853.

• I'm big enough to forgive you. But I'm not stupid enough to trust you again. (A29D00/#9056)
9/21/2019 3:16:10 PM #8

I dont want gliders in game for at least 5 years post launch.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

9/21/2019 5:01:07 PM #9

Everyone apposed to the gliders only see gliders from other games and assume that's what it'll be here. These are now Wow or ArcheAge gliders. These are large, unwieldy contraptions that will be highly unreliable and require skill to use.

You won't be seeing armies flying over the walls of cities and castles to lay siege. Assuming they even have a high enough platform to launch from, this soldiers are going to have to be so lightly armed and armored that they'll be easily cut down... thats assuming they are killed crash landing over the walls or shot down first. It's not practical to use them in military operations.

Other people are worried it'll make things to easy for a thief to escape. Again though, that thief will need a high platform to launch from and he'll also have to have the glider set up a head of time and ready to go. He won't be carrying it with him because they likely will be to large for a single person to carry and will certainly be noticeable. No chance for stealth.

You're not going to be traveling very long distances with these gliders and then just leave it. Even if you do, if you don't have a wagon or other transport set up at the destination, you're not taking the glider with you when you continue on. Because this is now WoW. This is not ArcheAge. You can't just fold up your glider and stick it in your back pocket!

9/21/2019 5:45:13 PM #10

Posted By ShadowTani at 03:16 AM - Sat Sep 21 2019

Personally don't want gliders restricted beyond having weight restrictions and a certain drop height before catching lift. But I wouldn't mind seeing gliders come with a degree of risk beyond that as "exploring" the sky should be no less riskier than exploring the sea. Like that if you got shot down or otherwise fell from the glider you would have a spirit loss comparable to the height you fell from.

I would take the above a step further. I would say the risk is a bit different than travel at sea as deep ocean death is possibly still permanent (at least I don't think that has changed). But otherwise use of a glider has a far greater risk of harm as you will need to successfully launch (watch that tree or rock), steer without stalling (watch that fall), and land. All while potentially being shot at by everyone curious to see if they can hit you.

As to the OPs concern about armies of fliers bypassing walls, unless the wall is built in the vicinity of a higher cliff with a large open area, you aren't going to see waves of gliders approaching at once.

Games where that is possible can't possibly be taking launch, flight, or landing collisions by friendly gliders into account. From what we have been told, standing in a doorway will block others from going through it. It would be quite surprising to have that in place but not use it for flights of gliders.

Additionally given what we know of how inventory works, something the size of a glider would be a major pain to transport. Even if some assembly was allowed in the field (which sounds dubious to me given what we know about crafting), that is a significant portion of your support train taken up with gliders that you may or may not find the elevation to use.

9/21/2019 8:11:36 PM #11

What do I vote if I would like to avoid gliders in the game altogether?

9/21/2019 8:44:31 PM #12

Posted By Halvgrim at 4:11 PM - Sat Sep 21 2019

What do I vote if I would like to avoid gliders in the game altogether?

Those living under the bridge recommend stop giving any more free money to register one's displeasure over recent developments.

Next tier is gliders, still not too late to block their introduction, but only if backers band together and show their resolve.

😈

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

9/21/2019 8:50:24 PM #13

The most I see gliders doing is moving a single little armored, barely equip, low weight person from a short A-B distance unless they glide from the mountains. I doubt we're going to see heavy armored, fully kitted, soldiers dropping down behind your walls. Also, I don't merchants can have all of their good transported via glide around the world.

Given the size of the glider I doubt most people will have it on hand. One thing that CoE could do the balance the first glider is make it so heavy that it drains a lot of stamina when you sprint. Enough for a running start and jumping off of something. Then have the dropping speed be faster than remaking it out of lighter materials.

9/21/2019 9:45:42 PM #14

If they do decide to add gliders at launch then they should be available to everyone, but hard to produce. With high skill and high research requirements.

9/21/2019 11:40:55 PM #15

This is a discussion to be had over in the glider post but, I don't see it being possible for it to be a talent, it just doesn't make sense. Not that I personally like the idea of gliders either, of course, I hated the introduction of flying mounts in wow:tbc. I would expect the first iteration of gliders to be more parachutes than true gliders, and I'm more than okay with that.