COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Crafting Profession Synergies (Weaving)

Hi everyone.

I have no interest in farming within Elyria. but this morning I purchased the textile farming kit (as a bit of insurance).

I plan to be a weaver/mercer at launch. I’m gentry, with no plan to ever be a titled manager of land or people. My use of the phrase “my settlement” in this post refers to me moving into a settlement during Expo, and establishing a home and business location there. I have my eye on a specific settlement that I’m interested in only because its primary industry is textiles. So I’m hoping for some help with my questions and concerns about mechanics.

My settlement area of choice is in the Broadleaf Forest. To my limited understanding, this is the only area that will have silk available during Expo.

My settlement’s current primary industry is textiles. Should I be concerned that the existing industry might be significantly altered by the decisions or focus of my king/duke/count/mayor? I was thinking that primary industry would speak to there being NPCs available to teach me things about weaving, and cloth resources. Is this accurate?

As someone wanting to craft, will I need to farm and gather my own cloth to supply my crafting needs if I cannot afford silk during Expo? What if there are no textile farms in my area? Will I need to work on animal husbandry in order to keep livestock like sheep if I don’t want to farm textiles myself or cannot because I’m in a forest? Will anyone in the BF even ever need wool?

If I must produce and gather my own materials in order to craft, will I even be able to be both a gatherer and crafter on one character?

I’m mainly trying to suss out information about profession synergies and settlement selection, here. I don’t want to pick a location based solely on primary industry if that’s a silly thing to do. Thanks for any help that you might be able to provide.

9/21/2019 4:16:00 PM #1

You shouldn't be too concerned about existing industries being changed during exposition, so picking a settlement based on primary industries is a safe bet. People cannot alter what already exists during expo unless they own/have permission and manually remove what already exists, and then add in something else. It would be much more cost effective to expand than to destroy the current industries.

You don't Have to farm and gather your own raw materials, but it may help to do so to some degree. Elyria is meant to have a functioning economy where people can provide raw materials for others who process them and sell them to the eventual consumer. However if you don't want to pay someone for your silk and set up your own farm, you will spend more time working but have less costs with regard to materials. :D

In short, you can do whatever you want. Heck, if you find that the settlement you were going to place in during exposition doesn't have silk, but the neighboring one does, nothing stops you from moving over there and spending your EP there instead :shrug:

Whether you want to just craft, or you want to grow your own crops too, or you want to move somewhere with 0 materials but a high demand for your profession, it will be entirely up to your plans. Although going somewhere where it is a primary industry would certainly be the easiest starting curve :P

9/21/2019 5:34:43 PM #2

The primary industry could change through emphasis on a different industry but there will still be textile industry present.

Talk to your mayor about your project. Maybe he can give you additional support.

You don't have to produce your own ressources but it could help. Especially in the beginning to get you started.

Have a look around the markets in the region or talk to farmers directly about producing for you. Imho word should spread that a weaver is looking for ressources and NPCs and players will surely react.

You could also post a quest for delivering fibers directly to you.