COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Worried about Combat. Looks Relatively simple.

as I saw in the Prelyria videos, the combat looks very hack&slash, regardless of if the actual blade hit the target in the head, torso, if it hit the target with the blade or it hit the target with the handle, such as Life Is Feudal.

now, we all know its alpha, but still, it looks as if the structure for the combat mechanic is more about slashing and hacking, and hoping to damage them first, than actual parrying & dodging to avoid getting hit.

it also will make large battles more about archery than anything else, why get upclose if you can score just as much damage from afar with a good sniper bow getting headshots.

Make anything possible in combat, from 1v10ing unscathed if good enough, to ending a fight with a sword strike to the head in one shot. the hacking and slashing isn't anything new and will just make the fight about who has the most numbers, and we don't want that, trust me.

!Important!

not only is the combat important, but the sounds, effects, & feel you get from hitting your opponent, It really gives satisfaction when you hit metal and you hear a clank, rather than a thud. or if real sparks come out when you parry, rather than a magical blue light. as well as a small blood trail effect come out of the same place you hit your opponent. Life is Feudal has decent effects and sounds, and I hope as prelyria improves it will have great effects and sounds as we hit armor and not flesh, hearing an enemy scream as he is cut on his arm, and seeing drops of blood spill off. and maybe even decapitation :)

OH, and FTLOG, lose the weapon trails man, that red trail that follows the blade's arc as if it was a comet or something, that's just unimmersive, and makes me remember this is a videogame, and this type of videogame are like films, you don't want to make the audience remember its a film while still watching the movie, you want them to feel inside the movie.

Grandmaster Tor Amerys of The Jenarii Order

11/2/2019 1:14:47 AM #1

It's pre-alpha. And that's very basic combat because combat is no where near done

NA-E Luna Locked --------------------------------------------------

11/2/2019 1:14:54 AM #2

Agreed , combat should be intense , skill based and not just one dimensional . Since were getting closer to getting in game it would be nice to see updated visuals or fluidity - maybe make a left / right / middle attack and block animation , use that as a basis so it isn’t just “attack 1 / attack 2 / generic block” .

With directional blocking and attacking , you increAse the skill ceiling needed , otherwise it’s just all about side stepping and avoiding simple attacks that look generic and don’t feel intense .

11/2/2019 1:15:10 AM #3

At this point in development you are probably right. But to me it's just more theory crafting that someone is guessing at. I have already seen so many plans of people and groups dashed to the rocks of inaccurate guessing that me personally have no desire to do any theory crafting any more and leave it to those who still have the stomach for it. So have at my friend.

11/3/2019 6:17:45 AM #4

so far it looks like combat will end up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtAaHySCK-Q

11/4/2019 7:08:55 PM #5

Everything’s subject to change...even the Conan exiles combat example wasn’t even close to how it was

11/4/2019 7:35:21 PM #6

None of us have even touched the game yet - this is important to remember before we get too critical of systems we've barely glanced at for 45 second snippets.

11/5/2019 5:50:52 AM #7

Posted By Moltres at 2:08 PM - Mon Nov 04 2019

Everything’s subject to change...even the Conan exiles combat example wasn’t even close to how it was

the example wasn't of what we saw, but of what we saw could evolve into, based solely on the structure of what we saw, served only as a warning to not steer combat in that direction as it will look like that if they are not careful.

11/5/2019 8:35:04 PM #8

Posted By revann1 at 12:50 AM - Tue Nov 05 2019

Posted By Moltres at 2:08 PM - Mon Nov 04 2019

the example wasn't of what we saw, but of what we saw could evolve into, based solely on the structure of what we saw, served only as a warning to not steer combat in that direction as it will look like that if they are not careful.

I get you. Hopefully it could evolve differently in the hack n slash genre, like Mordhau...so I’m not too bothered until further down the road...which sucks a bit now that I realize how long it’s been

11/7/2019 9:38:23 AM #9

I hope the game's combat system won't evolve into something like Mordhau or KCD, directionnal attacks are such a pain.

The video about Conan Exile shows pretty well how CoE's combat system will not just be a "hit and dodge" contest. Do you see how fast the stamina bar refills in the video ? Welp, in CoE, you'll find yourself exhausted pretty quickly if you move like that, and the stamina won't refill as fast. Even missed attacks are bad for your stamina, without talking about counterattacks.

It seems that in a CoE battle, you'll need to save your moves and wait for the right timing to land a hit, and the martial styles will help you take your opponent by surprise (unless you just reveal them by fooling around).

This kind of combat system is not as "realist" as games with a heavy focus on realist battles, like Mordhau, but it's still interesting. And yeah, if you're going for 1v10 you're pretty much screwed, but seriously, that's kind of obvious (I guess if you're wearing heavy armor and you're really good at combat you might be able to beat 10 farmers without proper equipment nor skills)

11/7/2019 10:36:37 AM #10

I hope combat stays true to the RPG origins of concept and is mainly about character skills, I want those hoping for a fast twitch, low ping dependent esports style hack and slash to be very disappointed.

Click Banner To Visit town. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

11/7/2019 12:06:32 PM #11

I'm content with the Absolver/general fighting game/For Honor/Dark Souls-esque approach they're claiming to aim for. Although it's not there yet, I'm cool with the direction they're heading. I've got no issue with predefined moves in a moveset, with the ability to switch between two different fight styles in combat (based on Discord comments).

The combat is definitely unpolished, but it clearly wasn't meant to be a completely detailed example; it's just to give a general example of what we're working with, with what I can only assume is a more straightforward moveset. It showed off general footwork, timing, and how combos flow. There's a lot you can gleam from that. There's a lot of room for improvement, and keep in mind this game is likely to have over a hundred fighting styles once you take into account all the weapon options (and associated weapon-specific movesets), general "slot any appropriate weapon in" movesets, tribe-specific movesets, dual wield, sword and board, and everything else we've heard of that would end up being another unique moveset.

Keep in mind that it's been stated that combat is generally expected to take anywhere from 3 - 5 hits on average, with no iframes, Bloodborne-esque movement (seemingly, based on the PAX combat examples, at least when you're using a setup like those example characters), and will be far more punishing once you're out of stamina. It'll be fast-paced and far from healthsponge territory where only arrows truly make a difference during wartime.

As a side note, as fun as Mordhau and/or Chiv is in short bursts, that combat style is not something that the vast majority of the playerbase could enjoy for a long period. Higher level fights also inevitably becomes about how well you can cheese combat, rather than how well you know your weapon, moveset, opponent's moveset, understanding of nuances like frame data, and basically anything you could expect out of a fighting game. As for considering Mordhau/Chiv-style combat "high skillcap" compared to games using fighting game mechanics? Lmao.

11/7/2019 3:45:51 PM #12

Everything is very basic right now. Lots of great ideas and principles that need to make their way into code. We'll hopefully get into pre-elryia in 2020 and have an opportunity to provide feedback at that itme.

11/8/2019 4:51:19 PM #13

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j9sM1bIEnZ0

^ though if it ends up being something like this, you can trust that I will keep my mouth shut 🤐, and pledge even more

11/13/2019 7:34:37 PM #14

I also agree.

Posted By Grapefruitkush at 01:14 AM - Sat Nov 02 2019

Agreed , combat should be intense , skill based and not just one dimensional . Since were getting closer to getting in game it would be nice to see updated visuals or fluidity - maybe make a left / right / middle attack and block animation , use that as a basis so it isn’t just “attack 1 / attack 2 / generic block” .

With directional blocking and attacking , you increAse the skill ceiling needed , otherwise it’s just all about side stepping and avoiding simple attacks that look generic and don’t feel intense .

I've said this before, but for me, in order for combat to be skill based/intense it needs to have directional attack and block.

There are plenty of games out there that have auto attacks or one attack button, but they just turn into spamfest or some weird benny hill hit and run simulator.

A stamina system would be nice. Certanly not something that is predominatly stat based. KCD was disapoinment in that regard.

11/14/2019 8:37:27 PM #15

There is stamina, your stamina levels are stat based and can be impacted by your environment and the health and recovery levels of your character.

I think the fixation on directional blocking and such is a bit narrowly focused. Would you say games like StreetFighter require no skill? Or does it take skill to pull off those well timed combos even if you're only using a couple of buttons? I would say that takes just as much skill as swiping up or down with a mouse at the proper time.