COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Power of Faiths

I wonder what kind of force religion will be in this world, seems to be an untapped aspect so far. Could very well come be a mighty influence in the right community.

I'm also curious about restrictions, will clergy be free to Marry or forced to a life of celibacy? Much is still uncertain... If the political hierarchy is player-run / determined, then why not the same for organized churches. Seems like a potentially interesting thing to explore.

11/14/2019 1:31:56 PM #1

I've previously posted, 'wondering out loud' about the powers of 'religious' classes - e.g. monks, priests or whatever - in healing skills.

SbS has disclosed very few specifics re religious powers so far...except the general comment that a religious life will have some 'benefit' for that character.

PLEASE give us more Devs...I'm even praying that you will!

Physician, Alchemist & Herbalist to the Duchy of Anor, Al-Khezam - Selene (EU) Server

11/14/2019 2:42:20 PM #2

Caspian has stated in the past that religion will play a big part in the game, and will have in-depth mechanics that impact gameplay, culture, fame, lore, etc.

He also said that they fully intend to be very tight-lipped about discussing those mechanics, because they want it to be something discovered in-game, due to the impact it will have.

There are some comments in discord/the soul chamber about it, but if you are looking for specifics, you won't find them (by design).

Imgur

11/14/2019 4:37:09 PM #3

Posted By Marovec at 09:42 AM - Thu Nov 14 2019

Caspian has stated in the past that religion will play a big part in the game, and will have in-depth mechanics that impact gameplay, culture, fame, lore, etc.

He also said that they fully intend to be very tight-lipped about discussing those mechanics, because they want it to be something discovered in-game, due to the impact it will have.

There are some comments in discord/the soul chamber about it, but if you are looking for specifics, you won't find them (by design).

Ah Okay, well it never hurts to muse and ponder then, atleast for now

11/14/2019 5:10:03 PM #4

Posted By American Duchess at 11:37 AM - Thu Nov 14 2019

Posted By Marovec at 09:42 AM - Thu Nov 14 2019

Ah Okay, well it never hurts to muse and ponder then, atleast for now

Oh, for sure. I know a lot of people that plan on making religion their main focus.

Lots of fun to be had playing around with ideas.

Imgur

11/14/2019 5:31:06 PM #5

Interesting I have not heard much about faith being pursued in my circles... So Made me think there wasn't much of a demand for it, But I see i was short sighted. I could likely mix a profession or two into a clerical path, a temple was more than a house of worship after-all, but also a source of commerce.

11/14/2019 5:47:38 PM #6

It's not just the religious gameplay on it's own that people consider, but also how it ties into culture, and the fame mechanics, as well as its influence on NPC control/behavior.

Imgur

11/15/2019 2:40:10 AM #7

I don't expect clerics to have any special healing ability because they are clerics. That trope is entirely too stale, and obviates the non-magical aspects of healing that are suggested by physician, herbalist, pharmacologist, and alchemist professions.

I expect religion to have more important impact on politics, through its ability to influence NPCs.

11/15/2019 4:23:52 AM #8

Since each individual tribe has a full religious section baked into it's core lore I don't think that was done without a purpose.

For example, The Waerd seem to be set up as a theocratic hierarchy with The Familiar being tasked with interpreting and then applying the wishes of The Two Fold Queen to the rest of The Waerd at large.

That implies to me that religion is designed to play a integral role in this world.

It's just the mechanics that remain in question.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

11/15/2019 8:20:54 AM #9

I think posters above said well - at very least religion will be effective way to influence NPC characters/population - single or masses.

As I perceive Caspian words - there will be much more side effects on player relation with in-game religions, but players will need to discover other side effects via just experiencing them (and sharing information).

-
11/15/2019 3:22:21 PM #10

I'm very much looking forward to the mysterious and esoteric possibilities of religion. Our organization is planning to delve deeply into the Virtori side especially. And the added mystery of SBS keeping tight lipped on the subject is just more excitment for us.

11/15/2019 3:40:01 PM #11

I do remember the devs stating that it is possible to form sects, or flavors if you will, of each religion. We see that at launch the Vitori practiced by the Hrothi and the Vitori practiced by the Neran are much different. For starters the Neran have a priesthood and the Hrothi do not. There are different sects of each religion at launch, and a possibility of more later on. So, as far as some things go, like, will there be a priesthood, you know, those things will be in the player's control.

11/16/2019 12:59:36 AM #12

SBS has said that religion will play a huge role in the story and that it is also one of the more tight lipped aspects of the game. They have also said time and time again that when you see something for the first time they want it to inspire wonder and awe when you see it in game.

There is a number of aspects to the game that on the surface dont seem connected but hopefully after reading this you will begin to see the relationship beyond just another tool of social and tribe guidelines or another way to control the masses in various moral or ethical means.

The first thing to consider is the Soulborn Engine and the Fate Engine as the basis for a driver of religions. The first thing is affinity, story points from infamy or influence, and the fates you could recieve based on those factors along with the day to day decisions you will make or be forced to make. Even if we do not see our actions as good or evil they are still calculated in black or white terms on our affinity wether you follow a faith or not. Our fate will depend on those choices which will carry on throughout our lifetimes on a soul.

The second factor in gameplay terms to consider is the planes they have mentioned or eluded to: 1: The mortal plane (Elyria) 2: The Astral Plane (spirit walking, astral dreaming, etc) 3: The Plane of Time (the Akashic Records) 4: The Celestial Plane (the movement of the stars, comets, etc) 5: The planes of Haven & Karcerion

Each of those will play huge roles with religious implications as pretty much everything beyond the mortal, astral, and Akashic planes are beyond our reach and for the most part we will not see beyond the veil sepperating the mortal and astral planes except through dreams, death, or talents. They even had mentioned spirit guides in the KSV items.

Or on a side note they mentioned in the story Vye just wrote that during celestial alignments such as the Queen's Gaze that the veil between the mortal plane and the astral plane weakens, and in the story the dead can come back and visit us. If you consider all the stars we will name or the existing celestial bodies that will exist all playing a role in different things that can happen or different factions or minions that can appear during such alignments religion will no doubt play a role.

There is also the lore and if you take it as literal rather than lore mann was once a Qin and we were the product of Luna and Ao before we were banished from haven and the cataclysm of the burning that created the planes. At such time Mann and the other lesser Qin mixed with Mann such as Terra to create Ne'ran etc. So there is divinity within our bloodlines and we are cursed by Angelica who created the Akashic Records to see if Mann can be redeemed by keeping a record of all our lifetimes and actions.

But also take a loot at each of the Religions themselves. Each of them talk about or elude to that potential rewards for believing in a particular faith or god within each of the pantheons.

The Virtori: They believe in the 7 virtues and that the Nerans and Hrothi are the Paladins and Clerics.

The Viceri: They Believe in the 7 vices and it does not mention their reward for faith, but if the Virtori are the paladins and clerics, then the Viceri are the shadow knights & (?)

The Faithless: They believe that gods have no influence over them which suggests to me that they actually follow the Qin Mann who was banished and forsook the gods for it. I think that Mann is actually the first Vampire since he was the product of Luna (darkness) and Ao (life).

The Faedin: The Faedin seem to either follow the Nature elements of the pre burning Qin or the lesser post burning Qin of nature and they are likely druids, rangers, beast masters, werewolves, or animators of plants in some way.

The Qindred: The Qindred are likely the ones to obtain what people would think of in terms of elemental magic to summon various elementals, to to possess elemental magic at some point.

The Two Fold Queen: TFQ is the belief in both the creator Angelica or the destructor Luna. In Vye's recent story the Dark affinity during the queen's gaze suggests that her powers are over the spirits and the dead and even possibly liches while at the same time light festi1v1al1s are dedicated to Angelica's light suggesting that good, neutral, or evil spirits can appear during such celestial events as stated above.

Each religion has a duality point to them for followers with a light or dark affinity component and it is likely that most of the faiths will be able to obtain powers or some ascension class based on that.

Combined with the fact that it will be possible to believe in one, multiple, or all faiths at once and get some kind of mix and match benefeit if you are devoted enough to them all at some point.

Consider the talent system to be a shattered fragmented version of the powers the various gods, demi-gods, celestials, or minions can possess but they are all part of the same pool. It might be possible to awaken these abilities through faith, tribal lineage, skill mastery in various skills and levels, spirit level, affinity, and how well you take care of your body through nutrition, etc.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.

11/16/2019 2:10:04 AM #13

@Melkar,

I like your post, but I think you are a bit inaccurate in your description of the Faithless. The Game Guide says:

The Faithless recognize the Gods, Ancients, and Guardians of the other religions, but refuse to allow them to have any power over them.

The Faithless therefore seem to act much more forcefully than merely believing that "the gods have no influence over them." The distinction is subtle, but I believe it is important to those considering playing as Faithless.

11/16/2019 3:54:28 AM #14

I'm curious as to how the games religious mechanics will shape RP. As we don't really have too much to go off of, and we can't really develop our approaches to religion, I can see mechanics shaping it as opposed to RP.

Ideally, we would be able to have a big discussion as to the kinds of mechanics will be in game for each specific religion. That way, RP can shape religious mechanics as opposed to the other way around.

I think overall, this would be a better way to flesh out what could potentially be a huge part of the game.

11/17/2019 11:59:20 PM #15

All I know is I'm increasingly attracted to the idea of starting A church/temple which follows the doctrine of the Two-fold Queen. ideally starting as a local sect then growing membership in my surrounding region, raising lesser temples. And perhaps creating a league or union to connect similar but independent churches/temples of the Two-fold Queen. I've already seen the Virtori have gained quite a following, with a "Grand church".