COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Legality of same sex marriage

On a post Caspian said "We understood that people wanted same-sex marriages and same-sex relationships, and we believe in the freedom to choose your partners regardless of gender." However, shouldn't it make more sense if individual kingdoms were to enact their own laws on this social matter? Instead of the developers making that choice for everyone, after all we the players are the ones that will shape the world. I feel like tribes like the Neran and the Hrothi which follow the traditional feudal system would generally be against same sex relationships (up to what the players decide in the end of course), and tribes like the Brudvir and The Waerd being much more open to it. This makes for a more interesting and dynamic mechanic in my opinion. Let me know if you agree or disagree or if I am flat out wrong or confused on how this will work.

discord insaned#6905

11/26/2019 4:34:08 AM #1

Marriage in CoE is a contract. That is it. If that contract wants to be between two of the same sex, whatever, if they want to be the opposite sex, whatever. That's how it is and it's not gonna change.

11/26/2019 5:29:53 AM #2

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 11:34 PM - Mon Nov 25 2019

That's how it is and it's not gonna change.

I think he was just discussing the possibility, there's no reason for you to get so offended and be rude

11/26/2019 5:32:40 AM #3

I'm not being offended or rude. You can't read tone of text. This discussion has happened many various times, it is only a contract nothing more, nothing less. Anyone can sign it of any age (above 12/15) and any sex. It's beating a dead horse :P

11/26/2019 5:38:06 AM #4

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 11:34 PM - Mon Nov 25 2019

Marriage in CoE is a contract. That is it. If that contract wants to be between two of the same sex, whatever, if they want to be the opposite sex, whatever. That's how it is and it's not gonna change.

I didn't know it was a contract :P, I see how it wouldn't make sense to somehow have marriage binded to a kingdom, specially since it just takes the approval from the two parties and none other.

discord insaned#6905

11/26/2019 5:40:07 AM #5

Posted By Agnys at 12:29 AM - Tue Nov 26 2019

I think he was just discussing the possibility, there's no reason for you to get so offended and be rude

ehh it's okay he didn't mean anything by it

discord insaned#6905

11/26/2019 7:07:51 AM #6

This has been discussed to death over the years. Violet might seem impatient but it's really just succinctness She's been on the front lines of explaining "that which is" for a long time, and the most frequently asked questions have engendered her most pithy replies.

11/26/2019 7:58:26 AM #7

Yes has been beaten to death too many times by the Social Justice Warriors enforcing their intolerant opinions on everyone who dares to disagree with them.

Click Banner To Visit town. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

11/26/2019 7:28:37 PM #8

Certain contracts can be made illegal (for example, signing a contract hiring an assassin doesn't suddenly make it legal), there's no reason to assume marriage contracts are immune. We simply don't have enough information on the contract system, the legal system, or the extent of laws to make judgement calls right now.

11/26/2019 8:25:32 PM #9

Current known mechanics allow anyone to create a civil union with anyone, as it only requires a contract. However, only males and females can procreate, create children.

Regarding the legality of either, I assume it is up to settlements and domains to create and enforce their own laws. If a law cannot be enforced, then it is as if the law did not exist.

11/26/2019 8:35:38 PM #10

Posted By VioletWinterlynn at 10:32 PM - Mon Nov 25 2019

You can't read tone of text.

PM'd you references regarding reading tone of text. If others want to know more about tone of text, please pm me. I'll gladly send you some reading material on the subject.

11/26/2019 8:44:54 PM #11

Posted By mickdude2 at 11:28 AM - Tue Nov 26 2019

Certain contracts can be made illegal (for example, signing a contract hiring an assassin doesn't suddenly make it legal), there's no reason to assume marriage contracts are immune. We simply don't have enough information on the contract system, the legal system, or the extent of laws to make judgement calls right now.

^^ this. Well kinda. Assassination is illegal but is signing an assassination contract illegal?!

Personally I feel like there are good arguments for sbs deciding to go either way with the marriage thing. If they make it impossible to make marriage contracts illegal they can keep the game inclusive and force real world views on it from rearing their face in game.

The flip side imo is to opt for more player freedom and allow people to ban it for the same reason they might ban anything else. Same sex marriage, assassinations, wearing the kings colors if you aren't a guard, driving your wagon on the left side of the road D:

I'd rather they just don't include the option to make it illegal. It's something that detracts from gameplay more than it adds. Again, in my humble opinion.

11/26/2019 8:56:00 PM #12

Laws that can't be enforced are, effectively, not laws. How could the signing of an illegal contract be caught (must be caught before it can be enforce)? Do union contracts need to be filed at a Town Hall?

11/26/2019 9:27:34 PM #13

I can't see any reason not to allow same-sex marriage.

Breeding has a mechanical limitation in that it requires male and female, same with animals. Marriage is more of a unification of assets/lineage/family system, so there is no mechanical reason to require it be between male and female partners.

Limiting it would just be arbitrary, and serve no real purpose.

Imgur

11/26/2019 9:39:12 PM #14

Posted By Marovec at 2:27 PM - Tue Nov 26 2019

Limiting it would just be arbitrary, and serve no real purpose.

Depends on demographics. Same sex unifications tends to drastically lower annual birthrate averages. So I could see settlements/domains with too low of population growth or population decline due to age/ male-female ratio/ etc, having logical reason to enact laws that require child births. meaning both partners of same sex unions could be required to negotiate with others to both have children. Meaning they will need to negotiating keeping two children while those they procreated with can't keep any, or any other combination as negotiated. Either way, it becomes much more complex and difficult to maintain high birthrates when same sex people unify

11/26/2019 9:41:48 PM #15

That doesn't do anything. You can have babies with whoever you want and do not relate to the same-sex marriage contract.