COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Partly Cloudy with a chance of rain?

@Caspian, @Snipehunter, @Serpentius

Aside from the white knights who are not devs telling me that since I'm not a dev i have no understanding of how game development works or the doom dwellers predicting the Apocalypse due to a perceived lack of progress; this year was touted as the year of the storm/a storm is coming. My question is have we seen that? Is there anything left in the bag for December that puts a bow on this year or was the DSS event the "storm" that was forecast?

11/30/2019 1:26:14 AM #1

Settlers of Elyria starting before year's end (and carrying into 2020) I've heard but not much else.

Clearly folks in the Pacific NW don't really understand what a storm is like we Floridians do.

😁

You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry. JAMES 1:19 NLT

11/30/2019 1:54:38 AM #2

We are supposedly getting a State of Elyria blog post sometime around mid December. I imagine that is when they will take the opportunity to address this.

Imgur

11/30/2019 2:26:49 AM #3

they'll take the time to write a blog post (maybe) but i highly doubt they'll address this. anytime they make a claim that is overhype with no substance they tend to pretend it was never said.

11/30/2019 5:30:46 AM #4

Posted By Kyleran at 8:26 PM - Fri Nov 29 2019

Settlers of Elyria starting before year's end (and carrying into 2020) I've heard but not much else.

Clearly folks in the Pacific NW don't really understand what a storm is like we Floridians do.

😁

Yup Unfortunately the devs hyped 2019 up ... hopefully something physical comes in 2020 .

11/30/2019 7:40:31 AM #5

Barswain, my dude. Come, join us non-white knighting brothers.

The game has no playable content, hence it should not be hyped at all. Until we see an alpha, we dont know jack shit other than what the devs have casually said on Live Q&A's, and these "Developer Journals" that are subject to change.

If there isnt an alpha in 2020, games hopeless

• Proprietor • Programmer • Gamer • PsalmFirewall • NA-W • Friend Code: 62E37D •

11/30/2019 7:51:05 AM #6

Lol Zeek, while I have my criticisms about the current state of the game I still hold out hope to be surprised.

11/30/2019 3:43:41 PM #7

Is there anyone that do not seriously belive there have not been a storm for the devs in 2019?

Just DSS alone must have been a hell for them (development wise, not the experience)!

11/30/2019 4:08:08 PM #8

Not much to say on this really. Worst case scenario, the studio got "overly enthused". Hard to hate a studio (known for it's passion) for that.

That being said, it's a fair question. My guess is that they thought the maps, some community events and some gameplay footage (of a now fairly well built Prelyria) be constitute "a storm".

11/30/2019 5:45:22 PM #9

Posted By Daarco at 10:43 AM - Sat Nov 30 2019

Is there anyone that do not seriously belive there have not been a storm for the devs in 2019?

Just DSS alone must have been a hell for them (development wise, not the experience)! If a basic map selection site was that difficult for them I’d say we have bigger issues. The other claims of rendering being completed are fine but have zero evidence of truly being done outside of them saying so

11/30/2019 10:51:59 PM #10

@Tulloch

As much as I may have my criticisms in a few areas, DSS was (supposedly) FAR more than a simple map selection site.

If we believe what we have been told, DSS represents a lion's share of the actual world data.

The geography, topology, ecology, economy, sociology, and a few other "ologies" I probably missed are all data points that went into that product (though a great deal of it was intentionally obfuscated).

While it is all still subject to change and a great deal of fine-tuning, DSS literally represents the building blocks of their entire world.

That isn't to say your overall point may not have merit - I just want to make sure people are clear on what DSS actually was.

Imgur

11/30/2019 11:53:34 PM #11

DSS was a key stepping stone, but the maps aren't actually done yet. They still need to layer in all of the transition and microbiomes and render things again at a finer detail/tune things again.

12/1/2019 12:22:44 AM #12

You don't tend to see white knights riding round here much anymore. Whereas 9-10 months ago they were hot on you. I remember getting ripped along with Caspian in the discord for ruining the party.

How times have changed.

12/1/2019 1:12:28 AM #13

Posted By Marovec at 5:51 PM - Sat Nov 30 2019

@Tulloch

As much as I may have my criticisms in a few areas, DSS was (supposedly) FAR more than a simple map selection site.

If we believe what we have been told, DSS represents a lion's share of the actual world data.

The geography, topology, ecology, economy, sociology, and a few other "ologies" I probably missed are all data points that went into that product (though a great deal of it was intentionally obfuscated).

While it is all still subject to change and a great deal of fine-tuning, DSS literally represents the building blocks of their entire world.

That isn't to say your overall point may not have merit - I just want to make sure people are clear on what DSS actually was.

There is no reason for us to believe what we have been told is the issue. They haven't really shown anything to prove it.

12/1/2019 1:15:02 AM #14

@Tulloch

In that regard, they somewhat have. We have seen videos with the data, and glimpses at the code.

Trust me, I am one of the most skeptical people here - while I admit there is always room for them having played up the complexity of the deliverable (they have done it before), they did at least provide a glimpse into the data driving it.

This video touches on what I am talking about...as well as numerous conversations and screenshots in Discord during all the delays.

For example, I remember there being literal weeks of Caspian talking about, and sharing images, of them working on just the water table.

Again, it is quite possible that all the behind the scenes stuff is still a massive shit show, and they will have to rework everything (I am fairly convinced they had gotten to the "we just have to put this out now" stage in terms of releasing DSS - they were simply too far behind). However, the "proof" is there that the foundation and intent was more than just a "pick your city on this fictional map image" event.

Imgur

12/1/2019 1:18:18 AM #15

The data driving it isn't proof, the end result is. and the videos have generally been at most a few minutes and shown very little