COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
SHINY DAY (Dec 5, 2019) Tribe Exploration: Erishé

Greetings friends!

It's been a little while since we dusted off the graphics we'll be using for the final game, since we've been focusing on the Prelyria client and development of gameplay. However! The content team is starting to dip their toes back in and, boy, are those waters shiny!

You may have seen the recent shiny of the Sailfin alligator, which can be found in some wetlands on the starting continent. Today, I have something a little farther from home: The Erishé. As some of you may already be aware, there are more than 8 tribes in Elyria. Some, like the Erishé you see here, will not be available to play at launch as they will only exist on other continents. Continents where it will be up to the players on your server to figure out how to get to!

When those explorers come to the land of the Erishé, they will find it to be a harsh and arid desert. One, perhaps, that seems impossible to be home to much more than sand, let alone a tribe of Mann! The Erishé, like the other tribes in their home biomes, are well-adapted to their environment and have learned the ways of their deserts.

There are ranges of values for all the major traits, but this is what we consider to be exemplary specimens of an Erishé female and male. For additional detail about their biology and culture, you'll first need to discover them!

Enjoy!

Vye

12/6/2019 10:20:47 PM #31

Why are we seeing post-launch stuff instead of pre-launch stuff?

Count Lofi of Skaaney, friend code 8766AA

12/6/2019 11:30:13 PM #32

Posted By 40Kappa at 12/6/2019 3:55:55 AM

Personally I believe that the subtle differences between the Waerd and the Erishe is a mark of good worldbuilding on the part of the developers. It is clear that these peoples are related but also different.

LOL. Thats a very interesting....spin on it. Looking at Marovec's comparison post of the two races, if they are so subtly different as you say and I am not saying they aren't, I am just saying all I personally see is the same model with different shaders applied to them to make them look darker from each other. And if they are so subtly different that most people won't notice the difference even when held next to each other side by side, to me they might as well be the same race with different skin tones. In other words no way will I or I guess most people in-game will ever notice any difference other than skin tone. Thats cool unless they are trying to say they are a completly different race.

12/7/2019 5:34:05 AM #33

"For additional detail about their biology and culture, you'll first need to discover them!" this concerns me, will WE be discovering them or might they be discovering us?

12/7/2019 7:06:43 AM #34

Why are we seeing the shiny of a non playable tribe upon launch now?

How about showing more shinies of say the architecture of Dras?

12/7/2019 10:17:35 AM #35

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, show the Mydarri next.

12/7/2019 10:54:01 AM #36

looks nice

Tryggr duchy myrkland

12/7/2019 11:07:53 PM #37

That was a SHINY indeed!

12/8/2019 1:22:09 AM #38

Posted By FinlbossKypiqKween at 9:26 PM - Thu Dec 05 2019

Posted By PeasantKyre at 9:39 PM - Thu Dec 05 2019

They look waaayyyyy too much like Waerd. I was under the impression that they would have MUCH darker skin in order to set them apart.

If you had told me these were a new render of the Waerd models, I would have believed you.

Uh, besides being people of color they don’t look identical at all. The Erishé ARE significantly more dark skinned, but it’s still realistic. Their facial structures are totally different, with the Erishé looking significantly less androgynous than the Waerd. I don’t know what images you’re looking at, but a Waerd and Erishé wouldn’t be able to wear the same shade of foundation from any makeup line. Saying they’re identical really just boils down to thinking they look the same because they’re brown skinned. It’s not as exaggerated of a difference as between a Brudvir and Kypiq, but we’ve known that from the jump. And the models from the character creator demo clearly weren’t fully textured. This is much more realistic.

The problem isn't that they are dark skinned.

The problem is that they are one of two dark skinned playable tribes, and that fact is their only apparent defining physical characteristic.

Waerd are dark skinned and physically androgenous.

Erishe are dark skinned and not androgenous.

That's it. That is all they have going for them visually.

These are supposed to be one of the exotic lost tribes that make us want to roll new characters to try them out, yet they might as well look like the black version of a Neran.

(honestly I would rather Nerans have a darker skin option by themselves, but that's beside the point)

Pretty much all the other tribes have some unique feature that makes them interesting and different to look at: Eye color for Janoa/dras/mydarri/kypiq, teeth for brudvir/to'resk, skin patterns for janoa, body proportions for Hrothi/dras/janoa/owem…..

Erishe just don't have anything to look at and say: "hey! that looks cool!"

They have nothing.

12/9/2019 2:36:32 PM #39

"It's easier to criticize than to fix" - a wise man, somewhere at some time, probably

You've said you don't think the Erishe have anything unique about their model other than skin tone. But you haven't presented how you think they SHOULD look. There's limited options for how to differentiate the tribes. At this point, if they had pointy teeth, or long arms, or skin patterns, players would just say they're making them too similar to the other tribes mentioned.

12/9/2019 4:12:12 PM #40

Do people remember that the Waerd were Erishe? They are going to look similar, there are some cultural shifts which lead to the androgynous look with the Waerd, as well as the environmental difference that gives the Erishe darker skin. But other than that, there is no reason for these two tribes to have a vastly different appearance

The strength of the wolf is the Pack. Fight with honour.

12/10/2019 2:30:36 PM #41

They look waaayyyyy too much like Waerd. I was under the impression that they would have MUCH darker skin in order to set them apart.

If you had told me these were a new render of the Waerd models, I would have believed you.

You're right... that does seem a little Waerd. >.<

Aeran Kruefaal -- Skaradrin Brudvir, town of Fross, in the Duchy of the Anemoi, pledged to Vornair

12/10/2019 6:50:13 PM #42

Posted By baviasi at 10:30 PM - Tue Dec 10 2019

You're right... that does seem a little Waerd. >.<

I always appreciate a good pun, thank you good sir :)

The strength of the wolf is the Pack. Fight with honour.

12/11/2019 8:46:52 AM #43

Posted By Costanius at 12/6/2019 3:08:16 PM

Why do You spoiler them? Shouldn't they be a surprise and be discovered by players later on in the game?

Avoid forums if you intend on discovering everything for yourself, that should be obvious and clear.

The Erishe and The Waerd have split into seperate tribes only 'recently' in Chronicles of Elyria history/lore. This is why they look extremely similar. They also don't have any distinguishing physical traits that would stand out between them. So far, the studio is doing everything right with the tribe. Although I personally would've gone with different hair for the shiny, perhaps something more culturally relevant and a bit glam.

This is a great shiny, thanks. My only feedback is to add something that helps us understand their culture or habitat a bit more. This could be an image of a native animal, their architecture, or even some jewellery added to their model. A short lore story or phrase wouldn't go astray. With just an image, there is a sense that too much is missing.

As for "why are they designing things that won't exist at launch?"... The Erishe will exist at launch, and their basic model and features need to be fleshed out in order to properly balance and understand them. I'm hoping people can understand why this is not really just an important step... But a basic and fundamental one.

"If we wait until we are ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives..." code: CD83B4

2/10/2020 4:08:07 PM #44

Posted By Marovec at 9:31 PM - Thu Dec 05 2019

Just some actual "data" to use for the whole comparison issue:

Different? You be the judge.

Taller, Darker, Larger, very much different.

Why do the nations rage, and the people plot a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together.