COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEW PLAYER QUESTIONS
What is the difference between Spark of Life and Souls?

I am looking at the shop pledge packages, and it says you get a Spark of Life and 3 Souls. I thought souls did everything for reincarnation, but now I am confused and don't know what spark of life's do.

12/11/2019 1:12:54 AM #1

Your soul is basically eternal, it learns, it lives in the characters you play, and its a "character slot.”

The spark you use is your "subscription" to play that character, it is what breathes life into that character making it able to be played.

You have "Spirit" when you spark into a character that is approximately equal to 10-12 months.

As you "die" and are caused to spirit walk, this makes you lose some of that spirit and is called "Spirit Loss".

This results in less time for you to play that character, losing time off your Spark.

Once you reach zero spirit, that causes you to perma die, causing your soul to leave that characters body and return to the list to be "reborn" or "reincarnated"

12/11/2019 6:15:25 AM #2

Then what are souls?

12/11/2019 7:08:43 AM #3

As Violet said, a soul is a "character slot", which means that you choose which soul you want to use in your list of soul when you want to start a new character (at the cost of a spark of life)

But while sparks are consummables, souls are permanently bound to your account (unless you send them back to the soul pool), so once your character dies you can reuse the same soul with another spark to create another character with that soul.

Why is it important to keep the same soul ? Because the soul is basically your overall progression in the game, it keeps track of the skills you improved, your "achievements" and its age (how many character sparked into that soul). I probably forgot some things that the souls keep. Concerning skills, it's not like you can spark into a master blacksmith if you were a master blacksmith in a previous life, but you'll need less time to become one, what the soul keeps is called a "skill ramp".

And so, why are they selling packs of 3 souls? Because the souls at your disposition won't start the same, there are small skill ramps in the soul even if you never used them, and so if you want to do something in particular it will be a bit easier if your soul has an affinity for it. You can even get lucky and obtain an old soul, which already has 2 or 3 past lives, and better skil rampq.

12/11/2019 3:41:09 PM #4

The world is populated with NPC's, to play the game you must put a soul of choice into an NPC and activate it with a spark of life...

A soul is basically a character slot or can be considered an ethereal storage device that you choose from that stores your character information such as learnt skills. So let's say you live a full character life and die, that soul still exists and it stores/stored the knowledge you learnt during that lifetime so you can then decide to use that same soul again but in a new NPC, and that will allow you to learn those skills in the new character a lot faster than using a soul that does not have knowledge stored. Some souls will come with knowledge already in them so choosing a soul can be important as one might be a better choice for the type of gameplay you want as it will be more helpful.

Sparks as said is the subscription. It's like when you put a coin into an arcade machine and get given a life to play the game. The arcade machine wont let you play until you put the coin in aka use a spark of life. A spark of life gives about 12 months of gameplay, however...

Each time you die in the game you must spirit walk back to your body, each death causes spirit loss which basically means the spark of life loses energy and therefore you lose some overall game time from the 12 months meaning your lifespan becomes shorter each time you die. There is however a time limit between deaths where you wont lose anymore spirit. So say you are killed, if you are killed again within something like 2 hours you wont lose any more spirit/game time.

12/11/2019 5:41:01 PM #5

Thank you everyone in this thread for answering me.

12/11/2019 6:16:53 PM #6

Posted By Stormbreaker at 09:41 AM - Wed Dec 11 2019

Each time you die in the game you must spirit walk back to your body, each death causes spirit loss which basically means the spark of life loses energy and therefore you lose some overall game time from the 12 months meaning your lifespan becomes shorter each time you die. There is however a time limit between deaths where you wont lose anymore spirit. So say you are killed, if you are killed again within something like 2 hours you wont lose any more spirit/game time.

It's possible it's been changed and I missed it, but currently I believe the cool down is 2.5 hours normally,

8 (maybe it was 10, been a while and dont have time to go check wiki) hours if the death occurs on a pitched battlefield (army v army).

12/11/2019 8:02:48 PM #7

Soul packs are another form of “surprise mechanics” they incorporated in awhile back. Basically every character needs a soul so you’d need an individual one for each alt, and you can buy packs for a chance at a better quality soul to start a character out with. Very innovative and not at all like games that sell lootboxes

12/11/2019 11:11:15 PM #8

Posted By Blankwindow at 10:16 AM - Wed Dec 11 2019

It's possible it's been changed and I missed it, but currently I believe the cool down is 2.5 hours normally,

2.8 IRL hours (one Elyrian day)

12/12/2019 1:53:06 AM #9

Posted By Tulloch at 3:02 PM - Wed Dec 11 2019

Soul packs are another form of “surprise mechanics” they incorporated in awhile back. Basically every character needs a soul so you’d need an individual one for each alt, and you can buy packs for a chance at a better quality soul to start a character out with. Very innovative and not at all like games that sell lootboxes

Ok Boomer

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.