COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Fauna Ideas

Inspired by the Phorusrhacidae family, more commonly known as Terror Birds:

Before I get to the true suggestion, a bit of natural history lesson, (which you're perfectly welcome to skip):

This family of flightless birds lived as the largest species of apex predators in what is now South America, during the Cenozoic period from about 62 million years up to 1.8 million years ago. They ranged from about 1-3 meters tall (3 ft 3 in–9 ft 10 in) depending on the species.

If one were to take the attributes of an aquatic animal, like a platypus for example, and merge them with a Terror Bird you could turn a highly dangerous land predator into something truly formidable. It would be capable of thriving in swampy or tropical habitats, as well as being able to catch prey to survive on plains for periods of times due to its speed.

Because the family ranges in size so much, I can see so much creative potential to be inspired by it. So many unique creatures could be made!

Please leave any ideas and suggestions you may have as well in the comments!

*1: Image drawn by Eduardo Brettas, from: ‘Living dinosaurs : the evolutionary history of modern birds.

*2: Image accredited to DrachenGarnet, from DeviantArt.

Lord of Aversía, Ksana, Riftwood (NA-W). Friend code: BB89A9

2/27/2020 11:00:21 PM #1

Someone really wants their Chocobo :P
+1 cuz yer passion

2/27/2020 11:11:09 PM #2

Duck man giveth, and the duck man can taketh away.

Stairs Approves. Stay, worship, obey. Join The Cult Of Stairs Today!

2/27/2020 11:28:47 PM #3

These are really cool! And plausible, imo, for the CoE world. As there are pteroguins why not flightless terrifying birds? Maybe their eggs can be extremely sturdy and shiny or beautiful in some way, used for decorative urns, bowls, etc. The hunters and explorers would need to be pretty brave to collect these.

2/27/2020 11:28:58 PM #4

I like seeing logical player-generated ideas like this.

2/27/2020 11:35:19 PM #5

I too, want a chocobo.

2/28/2020 12:03:05 AM #6

Terror Birds might also make excellent Kypiq Cavalry.

We Are The Many... We Are The One... We Are THE WAERD !!!

2/28/2020 10:29:54 PM #7

Yes. I was just thinking that COE needed a horseduck.

Count of Frostale, in the Duchy of Fioralba, in the Kingdom of Ashland, by the Grace of Haven. The above opinions are mine alone and do not reflect those of my Kingdom or Duchy.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/17117/naw-the-duchy-of-fioralba https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14124/naw-kingdom-of-ashland https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30605/of-contracts-and-commerce-a-tldnr-post https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31835/on-taxes-rents-and-ancestral-lands

2/29/2020 2:39:06 AM #8

Posted By Beathan at 5:29 PM - Fri Feb 28 2020

Would calling it a "Hippoanas"make it better?

2/29/2020 3:39:35 AM #9

Posted By kajoreh at 8:39 PM - Fri Feb 28 2020

Posted By Beathan at 5:29 PM - Fri Feb 28 2020

Would calling it a "Hippoanas"make it better?

Yea,,, read that as hippo anus... not better XD

2/29/2020 11:47:53 PM #10

Hey, I Just translated it to the Latin...

What your mind does is all up to you, lol. ;)

3/1/2020 7:16:54 AM #11

Can I up vote the giant rubber ducky in your signature as fauna ideas ?

I can see the rubber flock now ;)

3/2/2020 7:24:31 PM #12

Posted By Sylvae at 5:28 PM - Thu Feb 27 2020

These are really cool! And plausible, imo, for the CoE world. As there are pteroguins why not flightless terrifying birds? Maybe their eggs can be extremely sturdy and shiny or beautiful in some way, used for decorative urns, bowls, etc. The hunters and explorers would need to be pretty brave to collect these.

I love the idea of the eggs being very valuable treasures, would be a great way to encourage players to go out and create content!

Lord of Aversía, Ksana, Riftwood (NA-W). Friend code: BB89A9

3/6/2020 1:56:50 AM #13

Seems like something suitable for grasslands and tropical regions. Stuff like this is good, because as you pointed out, they can change the shape and behaviour of them fairly easily for different regions.

Always had hope they would add in terror birds. There's a line from the Bloodline DJ about mann eating birds of prey that forced a tribe to evolve into fast sprinters. At first, after seeing the pteroguin, I thought it might have been a giant bald eagle or something. Now I'm wondering if theyre already doing something for terror birds.