COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Information networks

I've been doing some thinking, and I think it could be both beneficial and extremely interesting to see the info trade, as well as information networks (guilds of librarians, accountants, cartographers, spies, and information brokers) forming across the world.

The purpose would be obvious- to see and record everything that goes on in their area of operation and beyond.

How could they stay funded? Simply selling access to different bits of information. Some being more expensive than others, some being locked away in a secret vault for no-one's eyes but a select few.

What could they store?

-Bestiary information

-Criminal records

-Maps, being modern, historical, accurate, or inaccurate in a notable way

-Discovered (pre-player) lore

-History of player-related events

-Login/logout records of famous players

-Noteworthy discussions recorded voluntarily or involuntarily

-Information listing and tracking those with special talents

-Marriage records

-Contract history

-Instruction books

-Personal journals

and much more

Remember: a strong information network is an extremely powerful tool.

5/8/2016 2:36:47 AM #1

Guilds already do this, they just don't talk about it openly.

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

5/8/2016 2:40:08 AM #2

A guild not specifically specialized in it doesn't have the resources to pull this off in a meaningful way.

We're talking about dedicating every single member to gathering, storing, and protecting information, then making a profit from it.

5/8/2016 3:38:54 AM #3

I for one would love to see a 1000 member guild dedicating all their people in that town to discover everything about the 10 other people in said town.

5/8/2016 3:41:51 AM #4

Since when was a guild limited to operating in a single town?

Spread people across the world, have contacts check up on them and collect their information to bring back to the main library, that sort of thing.

It's called a network, not a clump.

6/14/2016 5:46:24 AM #5

As a Count looking to fund these things, I have been wondering what on earth all of these tiny landless startups are thinking. Gotta answer the where before the what to some extent.

Count of Boros

Luna (NA-E)  Ⓛ  Vornair Ⓥ  Dawn's Reach (The Stormlands)

7/16/2016 2:36:18 AM #6

The Burning Peregrine Society run by Bicycle Walrus at DM21 Gaming seems to have it sorted you should contact them as it appears you are thinking the same way.

There Recruitment Page is here

http://mlsurvival.com/peregrine/

7/16/2016 2:39:55 AM #7

The Burning Peregrine Society run by Bicycle Walrus at DM21 Gaming seems to have it sorted you should contact them as it appears you are thinking the same way.

There Recruitment Page is here

http://mlsurvival.com/peregrine/