COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
The *NEW* Definitive Guild to Making a Good Guild

7/22/16 EDIT: Well, it's been a while but I'm bringing it back now that the new website is up. We know who's who now, and there needs to be new info on how to deal with that.

5/19/16 EDIT: I feel like I haven't said it enough, but please try to refrain from creating a kingdom/duchy/county/barony unless you or someone you know has the corresponding title. I get that you want to have big plans, but it waters down the rest of the real groups with those titles.

Well here we are again.

For those of you who saw my titanic of a thread last time, I was gonna edit that but I figured it's a huge edit and it's probably time to let the -15 rating die, since so much has changed since Kickstarter.

So let's get back in to it, and today I'm gonna teach newcomers how to make a good guild, that is successful. If you're part of an older group with already pledged nobility, this thread is NOT for you.

Step 1: Come up with an Idea.

So you wanna make a group? Think about what it'll be about. Do you wanna craft, murder, explore, or just be a king? Dream big at this point and reduce from here. Once you've got a feel for it, move on to the next step.

Step 2: Look at Existing Groups.

Wanna be a thief? Already groups for that. Wanna craft? Same. Bolstering is better than dividing at this stage. Plus it's a good way to get a head start. Couldn't find an appealing one? Next step!

Step 3: Location.

Want to run a kingdom? Get a title or find a friend with one! This is mostly optional but it helps a lot more. Are you a Duke/Count/Baron instead of king? Focus on being a duchy/county/barony instead, over-ambition can be dangerous. Make sure you plan accordingly to your title, just because it's possible to obtain a higher title in game, doesn't mean it's easy, or that you'll do it successfully. If your guild doesn't need land ignore this step.

Step 4: Relationships.

Oh no, your guild is similar to someone else! Will you be friends and cooperate, or murder each other violently? All up to you! Allies will help keep you afloat.

OPTIONAL: Sub-Step 4: Merging

So, you've got a pretty decent specialized group, and someone has the same thing, but wait! Their leader has a better pledge title than you. That makes them far better equipped to grow bigger and better than you. An alliance wouldn't benefit them too much, and they'd crush you if you went against them. So, if you can't beat them - join them.

If you'd prefer your pride over the benefits of a monopoly, ignore this step and crush your foes in to the ground and let them know who's superior. Or whatever you would prefer.

Step 5: Economics.

Everyone needs money. Land costs money, crafting materials cost money. Weapons cost money. Find a source of income. For kingdom/landholding groups, taxes work fine. Ignore this step unless you want a side income. Crafting guilds can make a decent profit, but first you'll need some startup capital to get the materials and location you'll need. Worry about that before you dream of big profits. Fighting groups? Even moreso startup. You'll need gear, and not just common gear. You need the best quality gear you can get your hands on, just so you can carry a bigger sword than your foe. Skill alone doesn't win wars.

Step 6: Structure

You'll fall apart without it. Assign ranks. Kingdoms need nobility, crafters need division heads, etc.

Sub-Step 6: Overstructuring

How much structure is too much? Know when to draw the line. You don't need an assistant-executive weapon-sharpening manager.

Step 7: Forum Post

Now you're ready to make your own thread! Be sure to include your goal, any members of nobility, ranking structure, and a general display of economic knowledge. Make sure it's fully detailed, easy to read, and clarifies most questions. on a side note, Do NOT spam all over the forum to join you. That's how you make enemies.

Sub-Step 7: Too much forum:

Just like with structure, there is an amount where it becomes too much. You're a duchy, for example? Make one post about your duchy, and that should really be all you need. You don't need a lore post, an economic post, a military post, and a post for each county and barony. Getting your name out there is a good thing, but when the forum is flooded with nothing but it, it can leave a bad impression on potential recruits browsing.

Step 8: Commitment

Now that you've got your post up, stay committed to your group. Check up on the post frequently, make edits when needed, respond to replies. An optional feature is to create a Discord channel for you and your members to talk privately, or publicly if you invite others to come talk with you. An inactive group doesn't grow, and it falls apart quickly. Something to keep in mind as we wait for the next year and a half. Many players will get bored of waiting and fade away, and that's alright. Just make sure you don't give up on your dreams, or when you come back on launch, someone else will already have taken over what you wanted to do.

That's all for now, edits to come later!

5/10/2016 3:32:06 PM #1

good job

5/10/2016 3:32:23 PM #2

Shh. I like watching them all undertake trials by fire. Lets me see who actually is the real deal.

5/10/2016 3:42:57 PM #3

I like it good job.

5/10/2016 3:47:31 PM #4

Any suggestions are appreciated. In the end it helps everyone, new and old.

5/10/2016 4:08:21 PM #5

Step 7 added, for people making new posts, or looking to improve old ones

5/14/2016 9:30:57 PM #6

+1

Still lots to learn about how and what it takes to create a Guild, and also what restrictions there may be such as multiple memberships or contracts.

I'm interested in learning what benefits having a Guild brings to a village, and if multiple Guilds stack the benefit or allow unique boosts. I expect that you can choose a boost/boon to offer and then as the Guild grows this may become stronger or allow a second boon.

I also think having an ACTIVE Guild will be very important because I think there will be opportunities to advance your guild through quests.

These common sense basics are tried and true. So thanks for setting them out.

5/19/2016 8:21:43 PM #7

The way I view it, guilds working together is the best use of the system. No guild should be a jack of all trades, they should work alongside other guilds to achieve a common goal. For example, a group of metallurgists obtains their ore from a mining guild, and sells ingots to a smithing guild. Rather than one group doing all three, it generates a system of trade agreements, which makes the game more realistic and enjoyable.

5/19/2016 9:01:07 PM #8

The only thing I dont like about what you posted is this " I feel like I haven't said it enough, but please try to refrain from creating a kingdom/duchy/county/barony unless you or someone you know has the corresponding title. I get that you want to have big plans, but it waters down the rest of the real groups with those titles." I dont think it waters anything down. If someone wants to be a king, but cant pledge the $10K needed they shouldnt be discouraged from starting a kingdom. I dont think it has any affect on others if someone wants to start a kingdom, but cant pledge to get the title.

Other than that, its a solid post.

5/19/2016 9:05:03 PM #9

This is true, but of they want to aspire for land, they should set up a solid plan and start smaller. None of this "I'm a count/baron/peasant but I have an entire kingdom". You can still run a group based in a smaller territory under another king, not everyone needs to be their own king.

5/19/2016 9:08:24 PM #10

Agreed, but if they want to be king its better to start with the foundation of running a kingdom. I see no reason why someone who wants to be king, but starts as a regular guy or a count shouldnt run their group as though its their kingdom. They will still have to deal with their actual king, but it doesnt hurt anyone for them to run their group like a kingdom.

5/19/2016 9:13:35 PM #11

The term government is better for that then. You can lead a city the same way you'd lead a country, but that's not being a king, it's being a political leader. So a baron making a group for his city could call it "the city of..", or describe plans on how to overthrow the county, duchy, and kingdom itself without being stopped. As the new DJ says, it's hard to do, so doing it 3 times should be virtually impossible.

5/19/2016 9:16:53 PM #12

A huge one is have the drive to see it through. You read some guild postings and you can almost sense the person writing it is already trying to pass off most of the work and responsibility before the guild even starts and weirdly gives off a feeling that their heart's not entirely in it if you scratch beneath the surface.

Unless you're ready to shoulder the load and do everything for years to come (and then be delighted if others with the same drive as you offer to help along the way), don't even start. You aren't ready to do it. You really, really aren't.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

5/19/2016 9:17:56 PM #13

This is actually a big one, I'll be adding this in, thanks.

5/19/2016 9:23:22 PM #14

My pleasure, mate.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

7/23/2016 4:29:02 AM #15

So now that the KS is gone and everyone has their influences listed, this can get even more in-depth. Large edit incoming