COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
religion

do you guys think that we are going to be able to make are own religion? I think it would be cool to make one and watch it spread over the world.

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. Lo, there do I see the line of my people... Back to the beginning. Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever.

5/12/2016 12:34:45 AM #1

The game has at least 4 in game religions. These religions actually have mechanics that support them in game. It wont be possible to make a player made religion that is supported by mechanics. Its possible to make an RP cult/religion, but nothing supported by the game itself.

5/12/2016 9:37:26 AM #2

Like Defcon said: You can make a cult with players but i dont think they will implement a religion creation "system".

5/25/2016 4:48:14 PM #3

Though it would be awesome to see an RP-religion become real in-game religion in couple years if it managed to get enough popularity and wouldn't interfere with the main lore.

"In a secluded village, rumoured to be home of many illigimite offspring of noble and common folk alike, people worshipped a hidden and unspoken deity. This deity, like his worshippers, was a love child but of divine origin. He was the god of whoresons and unloved. He was the Bastard God"

8/30/2016 1:51:23 AM #4

Posted By Deffcon_1 at 12:34 AM - Thu May 12 2016

The game has at least 4 in game religions. These religions actually have mechanics that support them in game. It wont be possible to make a player made religion that is supported by mechanics. Its possible to make an RP cult/religion, but nothing supported by the game itself.

ALL GLORY TO THE CULT OF KIRITO

11/6/2016 7:00:43 AM #5

A Guru would have a good place here.

11/6/2016 7:18:14 AM #6

actually, if you remember, the soulborn engine creates people's stories somewhat based on certain situations, such as when the character is "born". Knowing this, i consider it extremely likely that superstitions about what causes what in your story will arise, and since we know that the superstitions are entirely plausible, this may begin to form something akin to religion.

11/7/2016 11:20:43 AM #7

what if someone want to be a atheist ? :) is it possible ?

11/7/2016 12:57:58 PM #8

Posted By Gregz at 1:20 PM - Mon Nov 07 2016

what if someone want to be a atheist ? :) is it possible ?

Yeah, the 5th religion is kind of atheism. From CoE Wiki: "People who follow the fifth religion recognize the Gods, Ancients, and Guardians of the other religions, but refuse to allow them to have any power over them. They simply refuse to let them influence their decisions and remain independent of all of them."

11/7/2016 3:11:42 PM #9

Also note that the religions aren't considered to be "right" at all.. as in, no matter which one you follow none of them are the "one true religion" and they are much like the ones in real life since there is no proof of the Gods/Goddesses existence outside of lore and their bibles. You are free to create your own religion but I don't know if the statues you can get in the KS can be made after your God/Goddess you created?

11/14/2016 8:53:15 PM #10

I'm not sure I agree that player made religions aren't going to appear. This game pays a lot of attention to the different levels of fame that different characters AND items have. Regardless of the acts of the religion, if enough people follow it and know who the high priests are and know what the holy items are, and know who the church proclaims as its champions: Items (holy grail), high priests (pope), and champions (jesus?) could get a lot of fame = could get their own story line = get skills, get upgrades, items get super powers. And so depending on how the soulborn engine handles all this stuff, player made religions could get some super legit powers.

11/14/2016 9:21:47 PM #11

The almighty Scribblers will be a religion.

Can't get married, declare war, sell stuff without a contract.

Shoot without a blessing from the almighty holiest of holy Scribblers you can't even have a child.

The storks have to have written directions it seems.

All hail the mighty Pen Pushers!!!

11/15/2016 3:50:19 AM #12

I could definitely see players creating moral or ethical philosophies, enforced through laws, that would act as a sort of belief system. How that ties into gameplay beyond what PCs do, I do not know.