COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Mining Without Tunnelling

So it's previously been stated that there will be tunneling in the game and obviously there will be mining, I had assumed that the mining will work "minecraft style" where you just dig into a hill, locate the ore and bring it to the surface. But now it appears there may not be tunneling on launch, I assume there will still be mining though because without mining there's no new ore and with no new ore there's no forging. So how will it work? Will it just be like ARK: Survival Evolved, where you walk up to a rock and hit it with a pickaxe whilst metal slowly fills your inventory and then the rock just pops out of existence?

5/19/2016 6:47:45 PM #1

Without mining there is still forging because you can recycle things. About the tunneling/mining part no idea haha.

Friend Code : 8BB735

5/19/2016 6:49:16 PM #2

Even if Tunneling was in at launch it would take a bit for the technology to evolve to a point that you could create a very deep mine.

Count Iryano

5/19/2016 6:53:05 PM #3

Until tunneling is released; mining might only be in pre-existing caves/rock formations found throughout the world.

5/10/2017 4:58:40 PM #4

Mining and tunneling confirmed.

Silverrun Mine from the PAX demo was what we should expect from professional mines (though Silverrun incorporated some natural caves). Ore will spawn as veins, not Ark boulders.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/14112/naeast-vornair-v%C3%B6lsung-county

5/10/2017 6:52:50 PM #5

If you have a high enough skill to located nodes/veins I don't see the need for tunneling if you stick to the outcropping and cave walls. Once the resources start to run out in a particular area, say a cave, then you might need tunneling to get to the deeper resources. Oh course tunneling will have more uses than just in mining but I don't think it is will not be necessary for general resource gathering.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the