COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
First post / Mac & Linux question

Hey everyone! First post here, loving the work thats been done so far by the whole SBS team and hyped for the development of this amazing concept of a game.

I've just got a question that has been nagging in my head for a few days now and I haven't successfully found confirmation or denial for it yet anywhere (I've probably missed something?!).

What happens if the Mac & Linux stretch goal isn't reached? Am I to assume that C.O.E. will never be on Mac/Linux if the goal isn't reached in an adequate amount of time? Will it come at a later time maybe?

Obviously there are so many other questions, and that are also bigger and more important than this one, but I'm just wondering if anyone could answer this because its been nagging me so much!

Cheers

~Krieg Arkantos

5/24/2016 10:51:53 AM #1

It's a fair assumption, yes. An even fairer assumption, however, is that we'll get to $2.1 million and unlock it at some stage. It won't be during Kickstarter, but in the year ahead.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

5/24/2016 2:48:40 PM #2

If it is not unlocked in the KS, then it will be added later on after game launch.

"What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" -Paarthurnax

5/25/2016 12:34:26 AM #3

I have read that OSX/Linux support is best thought of first and during, not after. As in, when you choose your primary graphics API and middleware, you need to keep multiplatform in mind. Otherwise, you find yourself at the end needing to make a difficult port for small userbases, and some companies choose not to at that point.

Warhorse Studios is the latest example of this. It sounds like someone at Microsoft seduced them with support/tools for their development of a DirectX 12 version, and now they are on the verge of reneging on a Kickstarter promise to release Kingdom Come: Deliverance for Linux.

Basically, Soulbound has to choose now, and keep the choice in mind. Actually finishing an OSX/Linux version isn't the same as using the right software, but it will make it much easier. Alternatively, if they want to go Windows 10 only, they need to say so up front.

5/25/2016 2:20:34 AM #4

Why is this even important to have?

!!Jedi are Puppets!!

5/25/2016 4:09:19 AM #5

Have a gander at this: http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

and then do what everyone in the industry is doing and guess what it will look like in one, two, three, five, even ten years.

Unless Windows 10 shoots to dominance by the end of next year, developing solely for it is a problem. If you develop only for 10, you cut out everything else on the graph. If you develop with Mac and Linux in mind, you can include Windows 7 and 8 as a substantial side effect.

12/19/2017 2:18:34 AM #6

I noticed that things are locked into DirectX. So much for other platforms. Not good.

-NOSIG-

12/19/2017 3:47:45 AM #7

Will VoxElyria be a webGL-based webpage similar to hordes.io? In that case we should be able to run VoxElyria on Linux and Mac as well as modern browser at our work place.

But then again VoxElyria will probably be phased out before launch, or least it will not be a full featured client.

12/19/2017 5:41:58 AM #8

Posted By Obou at 8:20 PM - Tue May 24 2016

Because some of us prefer to play on OS X/Linux over Windows and/or don’t own a Windows computer.

Dras healer in service to Kingdom of Bordweall (NA-E) || Duchy of Bloodbole

12/19/2017 6:09:51 AM #9

Posted By Kere at 11:41 PM - Mon Dec 18 2017

Because some of us prefer to play on OS X/Linux over Windows and/or don’t own a Windows computer.

I doubt any macs would be able to run CoE even with a compatible engine.

I can understand the choice of DX(please tell me it's 12) over Vulkan, as more devs are familiar with DX, but it's disappointing nonetheless that we aren't seeing a more compatible API grow.

12/19/2017 6:12:17 AM #10

Posted By Kere at 12:41 AM - Tue Dec 19 2017

You are quoting a post that is over a year old...

But you are right

PS - Necromancers are alive and well in the community :D

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

1/15/2018 2:31:58 AM #11

Posted By LukeSpyro at 12:12 AM - Tue Dec 19 2017

Posted By Kere at 12:41 AM - Tue Dec 19 2017

You are quoting a post that is over a year old...

But you are right

PS - Necromancers are alive and well in the community :D

I resurrected the thread wanting to put current information in the searchable forums that CoE is a M$ DirectX only game at the moment, and to express my consternation that the "stretch goal" was dropped. No electrons were harmed in the resurrection.

-NOSIG-

4/9/2018 1:21:29 AM #12

I created the post ages ago and I appreciate the necro! (necro-ception?) Good to hear updates to my question and I hope this information helps people researching COE.