COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Player suggestions

i don't know if there are any other places to do this so i just decided to make one. please suggest ideas you have for the game here.

5/26/2016 11:27:16 PM #1

So i was thinking that throughout the story. there are people who could be hired to write the history of the world and the story. they would record major events, notable people, organizations, trends, and other things that you might find in a normal history book. i was thinking maybe it could work in a way similar to the map system with people doing histories focusing on different regions and areas getting more specific as the area gets smaller. then maybe committed players or guilds could record their own histories and stories. after or during the 10 year story, these documents could be posted on some site and then organized. then we would have a big interconnected story and history of the world.

1/19/2017 4:49:53 AM #2

I was thinking that you could add a voice chat system, but which would not be similar to other ones. the voice chat would work by making the volume of other people's voices proportional to their in game distance away from you. So when you walk into a market place, it would sound like a market place actually sound. This would also introduce an evase-dropping mechanic into the game.

1/19/2017 7:21:45 AM #3

Voice chat would be a bad idea. You wouldn't be eavesdropping on people, you would be turning the option off because of all the trolls, screaming people, and music players. Besides, all the useful info wouldn't be said in game VOIP, it would be said on a third party program.

1/19/2017 7:47:27 AM #4

Posted By Equinoxium at 08:21 AM - Thu Jan 19 2017

Voice chat would be a bad idea. You wouldn't be eavesdropping on people, you would be turning the option off because of all the trolls, screaming people, and music players. Besides, all the useful info wouldn't be said in game VOIP, or would besaid on a third party program.

LOL indeed. But I like the history idea. Though we would have to deal with the fact that it would be biased as f... but that's part of the meta game for me. Though I pretty much stopped playing eve online I still enjoy reading the goonswarn ehhhh empire news. As biased as something can be they are still extremely entertaining ^^

1/19/2017 7:57:26 AM #5

A lot of people don't want VoIP. However, some background sound would be very cool.

I want to walk into a marketplace and hear chatter / background sound. Perhaps the odd critter / chicken etc if it's medieval.

I'd like tavern background sound too, even if it's just the odd drunk etc lol. If it's empty and there's a lit fire, a soft crackling fireplace. Perhaps NPCs could trigger a "drunken song" periodically ie play the mocap and song together.

That's just a case of having some mocaps and triggering them periodically depending on the area people are in. Perhaps if 2 children are in a market, one could chase another etc.

Those two spots should be the busiest of any settlement, so key for getting a feeling of activity.

1/19/2017 8:10:31 AM #6

History- I do not think people should be hired to do this it should simply be something we do as a community. We will already have the tools in place in game to create books and I am sure these stories will be shared in other locations online too. People want to share so I don't think anything else has to be added by SBS to facilitate that.

VOIP - This game has a very clear distinction between player chats where you are identified by your player name and character chats where you character identity. VOIP based on proximity massively blurs those boundaries to the point that it actively works against game features such as disguises and identities. That is before you even look at the other issues it brings up such as unwelcome sounds and a lack of immersion where voices and characters clash. I think there is a place for VOIP but it is between players, not characters, that means not proximity based and any existing third party program could be used.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

1/19/2017 8:21:57 AM #7

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 09:10 AM - Thu Jan 19 2017

History- I do not think people should be hired to do this it should simply be something we do as a community. We will already have the tools in place in game to create books and I am sure these stories will be shared in other locations online too. People want to share so I don't think anything else has to be added by SBS to facilitate that.

VOIP - This game has a very clear distinction between player chats where you are identified by your player name and character chats where you character identity. VOIP based on proximity massively blurs those boundaries to the point that it actively works against game features such as disguises and identities. That is before you even look at the other issues it brings up such as unwelcome sounds and a lack of immersion where voices and characters clash. I think there is a place for VOIP but it is between players, not characters, that means not proximity based and any existing third party program could be used.

Do as you please but i am absolutley going to hire a historian to keep record of (my) history (as i see fit muwahahaha).

1/19/2017 11:34:13 AM #8

You hiring one is great! You are the community and I think it is up to us to gather and record the history of the world. I thought that the suggestion was SBS take on the task of hiring people (as the OP only said maybe players would get involved) to take on the role, which I do not agree with at all.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

1/19/2017 12:13:23 PM #9

About VOIP.

I like that VoIP is not really a part of the game. Simply because some people like to play as the other gender and it would seem strange to hear a woman talk with a deep manly voice. With microphone noice it also could become quite immersion breaking.

But one thing I would LOVE to see would be VoIP for musicians when they reach a certain skill level (iirc there was a mention of musician skills under bardic) but only while they are playing an instrument.

That occurred too me when I was remembering some play sessions of Reign of Kings where one guy sometimes played an instrument and sang a ballad over VoIP.

Obviously this should be high up the bardic skill so not every random troll can get to voice to troll others. Would also open up skilled people to be a sought after singer for royal events.

1/19/2017 3:01:13 PM #10

History:

Perhaps a community website where multiple users could contribute to a written record of the history of their server? I think the problem with only one person doing it is that it's too easy for it to be lost. Maybe each Kingdom could have a section where they post their version of events (written in character).

If this is going to happen, somebody needs to hit the ground running at launch though. On UO Atlantic I was in one of the oldest guilds on the server that had been recognized by Lord British himself, and toward the end of my time there we were constantly kicking ourselves in the ass for not having kept better records and a gallery of screenshots.

I do think it's better off as a community project than one more thing on the dev's plates though.

VOIP - as log as I have the option to turn it off, I don't care.

The Adventurer's Guild of Vornair

1/22/2017 5:57:11 PM #11

Posted By The Zectorian at 05:49 AM - Thu Jan 19 2017

I was thinking that you could add a voice chat system, but which would not be similar to other ones. the voice chat would work by making the volume of other people's voices proportional to their in game distance away from you. So when you walk into a market place, it would sound like a market place actually sound. This would also introduce an evase-dropping mechanic into the game.

I was thinking the same, the game would feel soo much more alive with an in-game voice chat, I would think that you shouldn't be able to turn it of on servers like RP servers where it would be the core.

Also if it is implemented it could add soo much to the RP community and to the game as a whole.

1/22/2017 6:06:49 PM #12

Posted By dkmiraidk at 09:57 AM - Sun Jan 22 2017

Posted By The Zectorian at 05:49 AM - Thu Jan 19 2017

I was thinking the same, the game would feel soo much more alive with an in-game voice chat, I would think that you shouldn't be able to turn it of on servers like RP servers where it would be the core.

Also if it is implemented it could add soo much to the RP community and to the game as a whole.

I just wanted to pointout DK that this idea was floated around by sbs and the community a while ago and subsequently dismissed. While sure it would be good to have, it wouldnt suit the games immersion when you walk up to a tiny female and she speaks with a baritone make voice, or vice versa. So, it won't be a part of the game.

1/22/2017 6:16:15 PM #13

Well I thought the team maybe already did something like that Xearo.

But by not having it, it could also break the immersion of the game (the game will fell dead, maybe towns full of zombies), and the voice not correspondence to the player, that player can just use voice changing software (they are actually pretty good, btw).

1/22/2017 7:33:10 PM #14

DK, games have thrives long before the advent of in game voice chat. Many games that don't have it also had thriving communities where if they needed to speak to each other, they would find a way. (Pre-ventrilo days. Dont remember the name of the chat program). I am not a proponent of voice chat programs, as not everyone subscribes to whatever RP a group may have and then someone like me who has less regard for an RPer than someone who is just farming for wood in the forest, would be running by with some stupid music playing over my chat and generally causing hate and discontent.

2/1/2017 12:57:44 PM #15

bards should be able to play music scrolls using music code for example MML or ABC notations similar to the likes of mabinogi and starbound.

341F10