COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Creating OPC scripts

Hi, I'm fairly new to the CoE community and I've been reading through the design and development journals and also watch the Q and A's on youtube, and one of the things that has really caught my attention is the concept of OPCs and scripts to control them, and how the scripts we will have for OPCs will be the same ones used to control NPCs. Now my real question is do we know how they are writing these OPC scripts (The languages being used or if they have made their own development environment for these?) and what tools we will have access to if we desire to write our own behavioural scripts?

"A Blacksmith is only as valuable as the knowledge and tools he holds." - Faolan Bhrionlámh

Friend Code: 27FC68

6/12/2016 1:59:15 PM #1

C# and JavaScript are the languages currently being used for scripts. We will be able to script our own, although I'm not sure if we will have a specific tool for it. Once a player writes a script they will submit it to Soulbound for testing. Once it's approved, making sure it doesn't create performance issues, it will be added to that players library. Scripts can be shared or kept secret.

6/12/2016 2:16:27 PM #2

Cool. Might get back into those a bit then. Not written either in a long time.

6/12/2016 2:31:25 PM #3

I had a feeling if it was going to be written in a language instead of using a tool we would use C# or JavaScript as they are well known and powerful object oriented languages. Does this mean all scripts will be play tested by either the developers or approved community members?

"A Blacksmith is only as valuable as the knowledge and tools he holds." - Faolan Bhrionlámh

Friend Code: 27FC68

6/13/2016 3:26:04 PM #4

I'm very curious as to how they plan to manage submissions. I imagine there will be lot of them. Hundreds, or even thousands, in the beginning.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

6/13/2016 3:45:39 PM #5

I expect there to be a slew of preset scripts for things like training weapons, defense, vendors, etc.

6/13/2016 4:28:58 PM #6

The submission process will be automated. Submissions will be compiled, ran, monitored, and then either granted or denied approval.

6/13/2016 5:13:53 PM #7

Stupid of me not to think of that, it's the only sensible option. Thank you for the response.

How in-depth can we expect automated feedback on unapproved scripts to be? For example, if we create a script that neglects to cover an important function, would the program tell us so when it rejects our script? For example, if the script is missing something it needs to work, or some vital element of character survival/functionality. Would these be problems the approval program can test, something we might see a guide for on the forums, or simply something we'd have to sort through ourselves?

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

6/13/2016 5:49:50 PM #8

I would say sort it out yourself. Or stick to the scripts other people wrote that work and are available for use.

6/13/2016 9:04:43 PM #9

What happens when the automated system approves a submission with a rat subroutine installed?

11/17/2016 4:36:39 PM #10

Hopefully, scripting will be more user friendly and not require studying these computer languages to script. Or maybe basic tutorials can be made to accompany scripting.