COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Scale of Battles Between Kingdoms?

I'm new around here(as you can tell by my post count) and I have heard that players will be able to be kings, lords, etc etc. So if there are several kings/lords who end up in a feud, would it be possible for them to engage in all out war?

If so, would all the battles take place in the open world? And would large scale battles, with each side fielding over 100 players, be possible? If so, how might this system work?

7/6/2016 9:12:44 AM #1

Yes it is entirely possible for this to happen I'm not sure how many people you'll be able to see on screen during these very large battles though

friend code: DD7F8B

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/Guild-Recruitmet/6254-NA-The-Order-of-The-IX

7/6/2016 9:22:58 AM #2

Yes war will happen between nobles or noble and would be noble.

What we dont know yet is how iy will work. Since nobles will have access to some npc troops, we can imagine that wars wont be player character only, they might indeed be mainly npc battles with some pc inside.

What we know is that they will involve some siege, or can involve some siege which will require the use of some siege weapons.

since there is a "large" survival aspect to CoE they will also probably involve planning and supply management, and time management ( battle during winter are not the same stuff as battle during spring/automne or summer...)

But all those are assumptions so far because we dont know much about it.

an other note.... We dont know how non cassus belli sanctionned large scale combat will work.

A casus belli is what someone needs to claim a noble title and start a coup. Which will maybe turn into war.

But what about non casus belli large scale combat ? what if a large group of player character decide to go hostile against a community be it a village or a kingdom ?

We can imagine that since this combat is not sanctioned by the system it will not bring the rewards of a casus belli sanctioned combat. If a rogue army raid a County seat of power and force the Count to flee they would probably not be able to claim the county. But since it's not an official war can the count summon his army, call to arms is vasals ? what if those refuse to answer the call will they be branded as traitors just as what happen during a coup ?

7/6/2016 10:08:16 AM #3

Remember a Kingdom has thousands of inhabitant and I would imagine 1000 soldiers easy per kingdom.

7/6/2016 11:38:35 AM #4

3 soldiers per kingdom.. max

Friend code: 172B2A

7/6/2016 11:52:23 AM #5

I don't know if the game will contain an interface that allows a human player to give tactical commands to an NPC during a battle. Otherwise soldiers will probably be most useful for defence.

Time will tell.

7/6/2016 11:55:00 AM #6

We don't yet know how many people in an area the networking side will be able handle,

We don't yet know how many people/objects the graphical engine will be able to handle

So until we do, we won't know the scale of the battles, but there definitely will be battles, and wars, skirmishes, bandit raids and special events, so there will definitely be conflicts and large ones too. We just don't know if it will involve lots of little battles or giant armies hacking away.

7/6/2016 11:57:13 AM #7

IRL most medieval battles and battles in general were mainly Sieges.

7/6/2016 12:12:49 PM #8

Where they seiged the castle for a certain number of days until the defenders could surrender with honour and little blood was shed.. This is the gentlemanly way of doing war, but doesn't really make good gameplay.

We want the armies lining up in battle formation and charging at each other swords swinging as well as ladders up a castle wall fighting your way over to open the gates, defending the village from an invading force intent on pillage and murder. This is the war we are looking at/for :)

7/6/2016 12:14:28 PM #9

True but this is one of the few games out there where people actually surrender and not just "fight to the last man" every single conflict.

7/6/2016 12:38:53 PM #10

Lets all be realistic tho'

I've yet to see an MMO where battles look like actual battles, not some skirmishes between smaller groups. There might be 1,000 participants in a WAR, but I have absolutely no hopes for such big battles. I'm not sure if there's an engine which would be able to handle that(Not counting strategy games like Total War series, which logic works totally different to 1solider=1player/NPC or EvE Online which could handle even bigger battles, but all the systems behind it were EVEN MORE different and servers were so stressed that it worked at highly reduced speed) From the similiar games, modded Mount&Blade came near, but you wouldn't see such huge battles in multiplayer mode. Not a chance.

I imagine all we can count on are skirmishes and "sieges" with maybe up to 100v100 in bigger battle locations, and smaller groups fighting somewhere nearby/raiding other locations.

I adore people who would love to see huge, epic formations and stuff, but I'm afraid it won't work that way because of lag/performance problems/players behaviour/engine limitations etc.

7/6/2016 12:42:32 PM #11

One of the great things about this game, something to lose. Not arguing at all, I was just saying when we go to war, there will be war, not just a show of war, and that's the way it should be as that will be fun.

7/6/2016 12:44:17 PM #12

Agreed, but as great as the 1000 player plus battles would be, I'd still be relatively happy with 100v100, that would still seem pretty epic from a FPS/3PS point of view.

7/6/2016 1:46:16 PM #13

This is incorrect. There were vastly many more field battles in the medieval era ( which spans quite a time period really ) than sieges! Saying battles in general were mainly sieges IRL too is very confusing as that too is completely inaccurate.

I can easily see Siege warfare being more common in CoE though. Personally, I can't wait to see how the battle mechanics will work in game :0)

7/6/2016 2:14:23 PM #14

Yes, looking forward to everything from 1on1 to KingdomOnKingdom :)

7/6/2016 2:16:15 PM #15