COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Trolls and camping

I'm sure this may have been asked before but I didn't really have much time to go through all the threads, but every game has trolls that will go to amazing lengths to make your lives miserable or more. I keep up to date on all the updates given to this game as much as I can, from what I collect about living and dying, you of course live and play through your life. If you go unconscious and your soul is separated (or not) you have to go back to your body before time is up to actually live again.

NOW, from what I collect, a player can loot your sword and some other items like a money purse and such in the time you're unconscious, but that leaves you vulnerable when you regain consciousness to a troll that wants to keep you down to make you mad, what will there be that keeps this from happening?

ON that same note, if your soul is separated and you get back to your body, what keeps a troll from killing you when you get back up? Remember they probably took your weapons and being soul-wrent they can also take more like maybe armor? You will be very vulnerable to these happenings and it can make life miserable and annoying and you lose out on time paid for at that. Killing is part of the game but not this kind where it breaks the enjoyment.

Any thoughts?

Alt Text

Leader of the Order of the Dragon Knights guild and Count for Lord Paramount Stoddart

7/15/2016 9:07:25 AM #1

Your actual respawn will not be right over your prior body, reducing the spawn camping from easy to difficult just like in WoW (Ideally), you will only be able to take weapons and some pocket loot that you can find (Hide stuff well!) And the victim recieves a stop on spirit loss (Excess tine removed perdeath only comes once every few hours or however long) like res sickness in most games. Continued griefing will increase infamy and make your own spirit loss higher when you die.

Proprietor of Epicurean's Delight, Merchant of the Kingdom of Blackheart, Home of The Collective.

7/15/2016 6:02:24 PM #2

I think one of Axiarch's concerns is that if they only incapacitate you they can remove your weapons from your hands. After a few minutes you get back up, weaponless, and they can just incapacitate you again. Now imagine this being done over and over. If you aren't in a town or near someone to help you they could end up wasting hours of your play time, maybe even the whole time you had to play that day in between real life stuff.

7/15/2016 6:04:59 PM #3

what is this 'real life' you speak of?

7/15/2016 6:09:30 PM #4

Well, that person would be risking you calling for help every time they sit and wait for you to regain consciousness. They risk a lot more by being caught than the person who's getting smacked in the head over and over. As long as you make friends, even if they're a loose association of friends -- leaders, at least, should be looking out for their peeps -- you should have some solution to this problem. And it'll be very satisfying to see them in jail after messing with you. ^o^

7/15/2016 6:52:09 PM #5

NiHZ, remember that the world is going to be huge. I think situations like this will encourage people to move in groups for everything they do, even the mundane.

Also the assailant is only at risk if they can be caught. Being in the middle of no where means they could do it as long as their little sadistic heart pleases.

When you do call for friends make sure you bring enough. Griefing players like to play in duos/trios that are usually friends so they have a clear advantage against any solo player.

7/16/2016 2:31:15 AM #6

the more time you spend around players the more easily you'll recognize them.

furthermore because of this, you can put out an arrest warrant for them. once arrested they "spend time in jail" this amount of time is a penalty equal to this equation

T=2(kxF) where T is time in days lost k is the number of times you were griefed that you can prove and f is the multiplier of their fame.

make sense?

so the penalty for repeated griefing gets very severe very fast.

so end result:

you lose 2 days of play time, a sword and offhand possibly your mount and some gold.

they lose possibly between 2 - 90 ish days depending on how many times they did it and their infamy.

i hope that cleared things up.

7/16/2016 3:04:07 AM #7

Um... one problem here.. you aren't facoting in the P factor. P increases with T @ R for complaining about k and k become d. You don't want to make them tooo severe are else you will get people angry... and that's when they get creative.

P=Pissed R=Rat d=destroyed

Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide. ~Napoleon Bonaparte Friend Code: 27AA6C

Stalwart Proving Grounds in Boros County Duchy of The Stormlands Kingdom of Vornair Luna.

7/16/2016 3:25:08 AM #8

the more time you spend around players the more easily you'll recognize them.

furthermore because of this, you can put out an arrest warrant for them. once arrested they "spend time in jail" this amount of time is a penalty equal to this equation

T=2(kxF) where T is time in days lost k is the number of times you were griefed that you can prove and f is the multiplier of their fame.

make sense?

so the penalty for repeated griefing gets very severe very fast.

so end result:

you lose 2 days of play time, a sword and offhand possibly your mount and some gold.

they lose possibly between 2 - 90 ish days depending on how many times they did it and their infamy.

i hope that cleared things up.

@Taiashi - 7:31 PM - Fri Jul 15 2016

Where did you get this equation from? Haven't seen this anywhere in the journals or q&a's.

Also, I doubt the people that will grief you in the wild or on the road will be people that have hung out with you enough to recognize them. They would also have to introduce themselves first. Not sure what griefers you've met but they don't tend to walk around saying hi to everyone.

The jail and spirit loss punishment will only prevent griefing in towns, which is enough for me. Town should be pretty safe. Unless someone really wants you dead.

7/16/2016 6:50:17 AM #9

All interesting points, i see what you are getting at with the equation, but i still forsee loads of trolls and griefing coming at us early in the game until people realize it, even then it can be pretty frustrating if they troll you for X amount of time then get away with it then you're left with stuff and time lost and a very bad temper :(

Alt Text

Leader of the Order of the Dragon Knights guild and Count for Lord Paramount Stoddart

11/13/2016 12:04:54 AM #10

Time to leave the Game!! Crying because of game possibilitys will be used by Players is the reason why most MMORPGs are boring and the same.

I understood your thoughts! And I would be a Person who knock you out over and over again. To get informations or Inventory from you. But you can force me to death, come with friends or give me all your thinks to stay alive. This will be a world with possibilitys in good and bad directions. I know trolling sux! But to be a good game don't make it easy or help crying People. Tell your Family where you go. Never go alone. Pay for help..get friends. WHAT ever ... but let the world evolve like People do.

Maybe try to ask why they Need to be that badass... THEY JUST GOT NOTHING TO LOOSE! Same in Real life! So take it or go Play "Tetris"

Greetz! :-*

Alt text - can be left blank

11/13/2016 9:49:01 PM #11

I just realized, we might have to fight off actual trolls in the game and people will have to camp (literally) if they are out in the wild.

"Hey, there are some trolls camping by this road. No, literally."

11/13/2016 11:50:47 PM #12

I also feel like theres a lot of mechanics to keep trolls busy in a lore friendly way, theiving, disguisses, gambling, whoring, and much other activities that may sway some of the less lawful of folk from more typical ways of trolling. Not saying it wont exist, just saying with mechanics that specifically not only let people be bad, but activities the game client enhances or includes may lower the amount we have to deal with griefing outside of immersion.

8/21/2017 9:52:48 AM #13

I don't like trolls, but I must admit they make the game lively. It's still a game and survival depends on your intelligence. I have kicked people from my guild in some games because they were complaining about being killed over and over again by the same player, please help!? Man, you know who he is, where he is and what he wants. The fun is in trying to outsmart him/her. There is no fun in complaining about it. The game will becomes boring fast if everybody is a farmer and just goes on with their businesses. Pirates and assassins bring life to the game and they are often much smarter than the average troll. Also they create work for crafters to get us all better armor and weapons to defend ourselves. I am a trader in Archeage, and had so much fun with a certain player who was hunting me every day. As I am a lover and not a fighter, I had to use my wits to deliver my packs. 9 out of 10 were always delivered.

Maybe CoE should give the ability to make private servers for people who just don't want PvP.

8/21/2017 10:39:46 AM #14

Posted By Crafter at 05:52 AM - Mon Aug 21 2017

Maybe CoE should give the ability to make private servers for people who just don't want PvP.

Many forms of PvP and I don't see them removing it from CoE. Remember you will have many non combat pvp actions as well.

Hire guards, travel in caravans, ask the barons for help with bandits so many ways to protect yourself. Hire someone else to deliver your wares. Stay in a large city.

The danger is what makes CoE exciting.

8/21/2017 10:42:56 AM #15

The danger is what makes CoE exciting.

Exactly. We already have facebook games enough :)