COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Trying out the Character Creator

Since you want us to test out various aspects of Chronicles of Elyria it seems that one crucial one that should be tested once ready is the Character Creation system. Wizards 101 made their character creation system (well, the questionnaire part that determined what type of wizard the character would be) a mini-game available on the website for both players and the curious wanting to know more about the game.

If you did so, us members could give you feedback on any bugs and things that could be done better. Also, us members could play around with what different potential builds would look like and how they would naturally skill. If we liked a build, then we could save it to our account and use it once we actually bought a spark or when we actually start playing the game.

The curious lookers would have to remember that build if they ended up deciding to buy a spark, but it would give them a solid feel of the game that one doesn't get from simply reading about it or watching it.

Any thoughts?

7/22/2016 3:51:32 AM #1

This is actually a pretty solid idea that I've seen multiple games try before. It doesn't just give a feel for gameplay, it helps get you into the sense of 'This is my character' and increases the sense of investment in the game for the people who may not have heard of it or may have been hesitant to get into it.

Also known as AvA in Discord.

7/22/2016 4:16:01 AM #2

I beleive this may be part of the "Prologue", the downloadable offline demo they have planed that will introduce combat and a feel for the world of Elyria.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

7/22/2016 5:01:53 AM #3

As your character's overall look in the game will be based -- to some degree -- on their parents, a generic "character generator" may give people the wrong idea that they can be exactly what they made in the generator, whereas that wouldn't be the case. Some food for thought, there.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

7/22/2016 5:07:57 AM #4

You are correct Flashman, Genetics will play a huge roll in CoE. I do beleive you can do some tweaking but it will not be a full character customization as see in other games.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

7/22/2016 5:12:09 AM #5

You are correct Flashman, Genetics will play a huge roll in CoE. I do beleive you can do some tweaking but it will not be a full character customization as see in other games.

@Sullen - 3:07 PM - Fri Jul 22 2016

Correct, so unless this generic character generator threw in two random parents and made it clear that you also don't go into the game and make exactly what you want, there's a "danger" that people would make characters and potentially want to be that exact character, but once in the game, their parents' genetics would be determining a much narrower selection for them to create their look.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

7/22/2016 3:32:33 PM #6

It would look at the potential parents available at the moment or only wards of the state could be created without first buying a spark.

7/22/2016 3:56:44 PM #7

It would look at the potential parents available at the moment or only wards of the state could be created without first buying a spark.

@Cyrania - 10:32 AM - Fri Jul 22 2016

Yeah should work great for wards. I'm guessing they don't have skills trees setup yet so it is not very likely though.

But even if it was just a test setup I would love to make a character under their system even if it is subject to change or gets deleted later.

7/22/2016 4:09:38 PM #8

+1 support for this idea. Would be awesome.

Hjalmar Jarnfell, son of Eerikki.

7/22/2016 4:19:14 PM #9

Yeah, having perhaps a ward style character creation tool would be great, so long as it was specified that other characters would be based off genetics. Or, like someone else said, maybe give randomised parents?

I'd love to start using things like this to get going into the game. I know that they were also looking at the architecture tool being released to us at some point. Also, seen as I'm one of few not keen on text based games, this would be really great. However, with the KoE and the MUD being released I highly doubt a character creator. Although it would be nice seen as the Prologue will be released in stages.

10/14/2016 9:29:09 PM #10

Posted By Sullen at 10:07 PM - Thu Jul 21 2016

So what degree of freedom do players have in choosing their appearance?

10/15/2016 4:38:51 AM #11

I think this would be wonderful, as long as it is specified (for those who would get upset about the changes) that the character creation is subject to change, and that genetics are a huge part of your characters appearance and attributes. This demo would give players even more to look forward to and get us hyped for the coming of this epic adventure.

Furthermore, this would give the studios an opportunity to improve on it, and take suggestions from the players themselves.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

-Plato

10/15/2016 5:03:02 AM #12

Posted By randys22 at 01:56 AM - Sat Jul 23 2016

@Cyrania - 10:32 AM - Fri Jul 22 2016

Yeah should work great for wards. I'm guessing they don't have skills trees setup yet so it is not very likely though.

But even if it was just a test setup I would love to make a character under their system even if it is subject to change or gets deleted later.

It must be remembered that playing a Ward doesn't give you absolute free reign with genetics either. Wards may be free from the restrictions of their parent's genetics, but they are still bound to that of their biome/tribe. Even if they introduced a Character Creator for us to play with that only allowed you to fool around with Ward genetics, they will still need to have determined the presets for all the different tribes. Which as far as I know they haven't done yet.

Posted By Trepatastic at 07:29 AM - Sat Oct 15 2016

Posted By Sullen at 10:07 PM - Thu Jul 21 2016

So what degree of freedom do players have in choosing their appearance?

If you choose to be born into a family you are free to tweak your appearance within the boundaries of your in-game parent's genetics. This is to ensure that you look like your parents and other family members.

If you choose to be born a Ward with no family you are given access to a greater range of genetics to which to customise your character with, but you will still be bound to those of your biome/tribe. This is to ensure that you look like someone native to the area you choose to be born in.

Imgur Imgur