COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Magic (idea dump)

My personal thoughts on the magic system for everybody to judge.

1.0 Magic should be the manipulation of mana (or something) and spells could be player-made.

1.1 Spells could have a casting-time based on how much mana is being used and mana-cost based on the same thing and the steps included in the spell. For example if someone wanted to cast a fireball they might have to write

"gather X mana, give mana fire properties, push mana forward"

the main con with this way of doing it is that most spells would be too limited and the only pro being that one more piece of the game would be player-made.

1.2 If you do a certain step enough times you master it and it decreases the cost of that step.

2.0 Spells should be either discovered by the player through experimenting or taught through a mentor.

3.0 People who have magical abilities should constantly let out mana when they haven't used their powers in a while which would have effects on their surroundings and if left unchecked could even be seen as an aura.

3.1 There could be a ring or an amulet that would stop or at least slow the effects of the mana so magic users could hide more effectively.

~

The main reason I'd like to see a player-made magic system is that it would be interesting to see how spells evolved as the game aged. Please feel free to tell me if/why any of my ideas are dumb and mention ideas you've had.

7/28/2016 1:46:51 AM #1

I think having to type all of that out might take too long. If 5% of people have talents, and .25 of that will be magic user, like a mage; then they should be super OP. Instant cast times, with a energy based bar. I like some of your other ideas though. Especially the one about the aura.

Mayor Lukas Burgschatz of Thunder Haven in the great kingdom of Vornair.

7/28/2016 4:55:56 PM #2

Cut out the mana idea because I think they are just tying everything to vitality.

I am loving the idea of player effect on spells so you can see how the spells evolve like technology.

Also loving the holding back negative effects idea.

8/1/2016 10:59:15 PM #3

I'm so obsessed with the idea of player-made/player-casted spells. I really want spells to be player made, I don't know who's read wheel of time but the idea of magic in that is there are different element weaves and different spells require different combinations, but experimenting can be difficult and dangerous.

Using a magic system like this would make potentially super cool combinations and unique spell casting skills, but would also require complete concentration when casting skills because if you're casting something and you make a mistake the whole spell could blow up in your face.

Furthermore, with a mana bar, from the moment you enter the magic casting process, your mana would start to decrease so the better you know what you're going to do, the less time it takes, the less mana you use. But if you're trying to cast a long and complicated spell, you'd have to make sure you can cast it properly before running out of mana because otherwise your spell is incomplete and may blow up in your face.

Thoughts?

8/2/2016 12:45:38 AM #4

I think that from a programming standpoint that the most efficient way to make a magic system that is also customization by the player is to designate a series of magic use mediums. By this i mean that the devs would dictate a series of ways that the magic can be utilized such as a projectile,wave, trap,enchantment,form/body, target (list could go on), and then the player would get a set of properties they can add to it at that point (ie elements, range, status, effect) and perhaps a secondary set of properties or trigger/combination. this would end in a system where the player can set a spell macro where they through the game interface select something such as a n item enchantment with the fire property that is activated by touching the object, or a projectile spell that bursts into a cloud of dust upon impacting a surface. This system would be taxing to a MMO system but is possible. From what we have heard in the Dev Journals and the Q&A sessions though i suspect they want to use the talent system in to have single use abilities that have specified spell parameters that can be easily coded and executed in the game environment.

Aspisis - - - - MaYor oF WinderBerg - - Capitalizer of LEtters

8/2/2016 1:05:20 AM #5

What would make me happy is if there aren't spell books or spell scrolls at all. I would like it if magic were all elemental and someone - an extremely rare someone - could manipulate a specific element. Like air magic for instance; The air mage might be able to levitate items, or call down a lightning strike, or conjure strong winds to stop a volley of arrows or get a sail going on a ship.

I wouldn't like to see any enchanting of items unless it came at a cost. Having someone make a bunch of enchanted swords, bows, or whatever, doesn't appeal to me as someone who wants a more mundane world. If a mage were able to enchant a sword that deals lightning damage for instance, I think it should take years off of a lifetime.

11/5/2016 11:50:10 AM #6

I really like the idea of player-made spells, seeing as how "they are quite rare, affecting less than 5% of players". I think it would be a waste to have pre-made spells seeing as how it would only cater for a minority of the playerbase, however it would be quite difficult to code something like this.

Ok mate

11/6/2016 10:28:14 PM #7

I like the idea of an aura. i second the idea that it should be fatigue that gets reduced while using magic. if the magic goes wrong have it hurt the player, potentially having high risk high reward. enchantment is an interesting idea, but i dont think it should take years off, maybe take a long time and a lot of materials to master, but idk something about shortening life doesnt seem kind of fair, but one could argue that would make magic users op. and also how would one get magic, randomly born with it? a select few? must join a cult to unlock abilities? im a bit lost in that part

United we stand. Divided we fall. Friend Code: ABF605 Click my Banner to find out more

11/9/2016 7:33:25 PM #8

i think they can go about making an artifact of a spellbook that can be passed down to you family after u passed away by having a lectern that u can set the book down an study the magic within that by doing certain things like you suggested player made spells you can make you own spells an add them to a page in the book so your wisdom can be passed down through you family.

now along with this spellbook idea u can carry it on you person when you go to cast a spell u can use hotkeys to open certain pages of the book to use that spell or with the spell book equipped you get a window opened up with the options to choose a certain spells i want to be able to use

now with you be able to set the book on the lectern in you house you leave the options for player to break into your house allowing them to steal the book now it will put off a magic sense letting you character know your book was stolen when you come online so u can try to find it before the other player either sacrifices their first born to gain access to the books full power including all the spells made by the previous player

now you can also create another spell book from using knowledge gained by the book when u first get it to make extras using human skin or the skin of an animal but human skin seems more like it be for magic

let me know what you guys think i love magic an i love spellbooks an i believe it be a good artifact that there can be several of these artifacts in the world aswell

The Wolf Never Truely Hunts Alone...

11/9/2016 8:16:30 PM #9

Posted By Antiro at 12:33 PM - Wed Nov 09 2016

i think they can go about making an artifact of a spellbook that can be passed down to you family after u passed away by having a lectern that u can set the book down an study the magic within that by doing certain things like you suggested player made spells you can make you own spells an add them to a page in the book so your wisdom can be passed down through you family.

now along with this spellbook idea u can carry it on you person when you go to cast a spell u can use hotkeys to open certain pages of the book to use that spell or with the spell book equipped you get a window opened up with the options to choose a certain spells i want to be able to use

now with you be able to set the book on the lectern in you house you leave the options for player to break into your house allowing them to steal the book now it will put off a magic sense letting you character know your book was stolen when you come online so u can try to find it before the other player either sacrifices their first born to gain access to the books full power including all the spells made by the previous player

now you can also create another spell book from using knowledge gained by the book when u first get it to make extras using human skin or the skin of an animal but human skin seems more like it be for magic

let me know what you guys think i love magic an i love spellbooks an i believe it be a good artifact that there can be several of these artifacts in the world aswell

I'm almost postive the devs will nix such a spellbook from existing as is........ Now such a spellbook that once existed but was long ago ripped apart and the pages scatterred to the four winds. Pages written in such a way that they could have been easily mistaken for bits of random artwork. Artwork that might be in various halls, libraries, chests, sitting in a pawn shop, lying forgotten in a cave. And each bit of 'artwork' would have the possibility of giving a person the ability to cast a single spell, provided you were able to research how to read it. Also due to the differing complexities of the spells, you would not be able to recognize a second page just from having seen one as different languages could be used thereby changing the style of the so called artwork.

Count Ruthgar Rugharin, County of Bragen Veld, Duchy - Conclave of Aritaur, Kingdom of Vornair.

11/9/2016 8:28:18 PM #10

Besides the devs have already said magic will be ultra rare, and would take the equivalent pf some beyond epic fight where you barely survive to unlock, and even then it would take your character a lifetime of study to achieve any significant talent in it. I imagine it would be another lifetime or two after that before we would see more than a handful of magic users server wide as only the extremely dedicated would stick with it from start till the end, as unless your kingdom is subsidizing your research, becoming a skiiled magic user would take a bit of troal and error to do so

Count Ruthgar Rugharin, County of Bragen Veld, Duchy - Conclave of Aritaur, Kingdom of Vornair.

11/9/2016 11:36:17 PM #11

when i talk about having a spellbook im talking about something that holds all ur knowledge of spell crafting that u can leave behind as a familiy heirloom

think of like the Tv series Charm or or Merlin or if ur around my age Sabrina the teenage witch all of which had a spellbook past down from generation to generation

11/10/2016 12:23:13 AM #12

there is no magic in Elyria :P

at least, its better for everyone to play the game with this assumption.

Friend Code: 30EF47

11/10/2016 12:23:43 AM #13

Or assume there will be no magic, and recognize that less than 5% of the players will ever see it, so the devs should be wise in how much time they spend on a game mechanic that the vast majority of players will not experience.

11/10/2016 2:25:50 AM #14

When magic does rear its head, it is going to be frigging Amazing!!!! Regardless of who possess the Talent. I think that is one of my most favorite features in CoE; that magical powers -will- mean something and be memorable for all those that were a witness or participated.

Just Sayin.. :)

11/10/2016 3:15:52 PM #15

if you ever seen the tv series merlin there was kingdoms that anyone that practiced magic was a criminal an was executed on the spot

so there was druids warlocks witches that studied magic in the woods alone