COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
If I could have any Talent ....

Hey CoE Community!

While we already have a growing list of Talents, we wanted to give you an opportunity to tell us what you think would be an amazing talent to have. Reply to this thread and complete this sentence:

My character can .....

... ...
2/27/2017 8:18:20 PM #676
  1. influence other's decisions
  2. talk to the dead.
  3. produce items at a higher level than normally produced a certain percentage of the time.
  4. control animals to do their bidding.
  5. become invisible a percentage of time.
  6. teach individual abilities at a higher level than the norm.
  7. heal others.
  8. move much faster for a certain percentage of time.
  9. immobilize others for a certain percentage of time.
  10. predict the future a certain percentage of time.

Nicademus

2/28/2017 5:03:30 PM #677

My character can...

• cast Illusions: Monsters, animals, camouflage/appear as another person, walls, objects, things. Have influence on the mind: calm, anger, fear, courage, cower, heavy(like lazy but mental energy), light(opposite of heavy) -(Light & heavy incase some NPC or character has been attacked by some sort of shade or to make a shade or some sort attracted to them. I hope you know what shades do ;P ).

• flash/jump: sort of like teleport but it is instant, where you can see, tiny hole enough to get trough/inside.

• generate spirit energy: gather spirit energy and can gather immense amount if well experienced enough, take & give spirit.

• turn into a shadow: become a shadow and travel in the shadowy world & when you go out of it, you appear where you went in it. (copy of the real world or current world you were in before casting it.)

• shadow tenticles: shadow tenticles/arms that allow you to attack, devour or see people or places. (you'd leave your body behind & out of control, basicly "paralyzed or not aware of it while using the 'tenticles'.)

• Astral vision: basicly like "free camera mode", you stop seeing trough the eyes of your character and as if your Astral eyes float in the air looking at the world. (could also use this idea for the Master Medium. but rename it as Planes Vision.)

• telepathy: anyone you've touched or know the name of, you can talk to them. Not sure if you'd let them be able to talk back. (Maybe if you'd be an expert then it could be both sided communication.)

• Anti-walker: You float/hover above the ground or up walls that are not above ~70° or something of a sort.

• Devour: Devour the person/animal or entity's spirit/soul to feed your own/self.

• Revert: Repairs objects, structures or anything to their original form. (like turning the time backwards and restoring things to how they were, or like in the harry potter movie when Dumbledore waves his wand and fixes up a house.)

• seals or magic locks: Seal away a darkness within someone, or light. Seal/lock a place with as much power as you waste into it/for it. (would require you or someone else with this talent to unlock it, would not work to break the sealed/locked thing down unless it was a very weak object. Wood, glass, etc.)

• Takeaway: safe & dangerous spell. Lets say you were surrounded and about to die, you could cast the spell/talent and be taken away by roots or whatever into a different dimension/plane and it makes you reappear ANYWHERE. Even to the exact same spot if that unlucky, inside a mountain or above the ocean or somewhere safe.

• Heartbeat: You can hear the heartbeat of all living things around you. (You might need to be able to get good at using this by training IRL.) (like in R6S, I love it when I can use sounds of my enemies footsteps to find/locate them & the op. with the heartbeat sensor helps too :P )

I've got so many more ideas but spamming is sort of... bad? <.<

2/28/2017 5:13:21 PM #678

Be in range of a pizza delivery service no matter where I am

3/1/2017 12:06:52 AM #679

I have a couple of ideas, and not knowing if they are original or not:

• Swordsoul - increased affinity/skill progression and increased attack speed while wielding two bladed weapons, and increased damage while wielding a single handed or two-handed blade.

-Warcrier/Martyr - can sacrifice life and some remaining soulspark time left to temporarily increase the vitality and strength of your followers/army in an AOE. Useful for military leaders during a coup/blitz/overthrow of govt.

And now my original idea to you Caspian:

-Destiny Seeker - rather than this be a very rare chance of a talent to all players, this would be one rarely awarded to story-goers deeply involved within Elyria's progression through Story Points and the Soulborn Engine. Any character blessed with the destiny seeker talent would see a faint, ethereal golden sun on the horizon in the near/vague direction the Soulborn Engine is guiding them towards their destiny. Pulling players in, and drawing them towards battles, conflicts, and events that Elyria itself wishes their destiny to unfold. I think that would be a true spectacle of design.

3/1/2017 12:21:13 AM #680

My character has the ability to sense strong bloodlines in species. Leading him to find tracks, traces and sense dens of 'rare' creatures

"...When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home." ~Chief Tecumseh

3/1/2017 5:13:02 AM #681

I was thinking something more along the lines of necromantic arts. For instance raising the body of slain enemies and/or creatures as servants. Preferably permanent/dismissable, perhaps with a 'one at any given time' limit.

3/13/2017 6:56:09 AM #682

Amusingly had a dream about Angelica's tears. They should feature in alchemy with lots of water lol.

Also it also featured, I think a talent to summon some friendly shadow people would be cool. Easy on the graphics and a cool feature I think :)

3/17/2017 6:14:19 AM #683

Jack of all trades: temporarily boost any skill for a day as long as you never master any one skill.

Philosopher's Stone creation: After mastering some crafting skill, you intuitively know the recipe for a philosopher's stone, which can produce the elixir of life, and turn base metals to gold. You can only make one, and it's fueled by Sparks of Life. After producing so much elixir(which can prevent aging for a certain amount of time, preventing your spark of life from draining) or gold, you have to sacrifice one of your unused SoL's to fuel the stone. That way someone could be functionally immortal but still need Sparks.

Musical talent: for the best of bards. can play any instrument. NPC's will tip money if in earshot, and will be distracted (so you can play while someone else cuts their purses) can also be used to charm certain NPC's and animals. Maybe even have some method of having user-submitted songs available?

Blink: we all know what this does

Animal Possession: possess a horse to run fast, a bird to fly over walls, a rat to sneak into small places, a dog to track a scent. stuff like that. Maybe limit it to one type of animal per player.

Astral projection: your spirit can leave your body to see around you, go through walls, fly, etc. but you're body is defenseless while doing so. have friends with you.

painting?: more of a skill I guess. It'd be cool to roleplay a painter that travels the land to perfect their art. can craft paintings that are basically filtered screenshots of the game that can be framed and hanged on the wall.

3/24/2017 9:55:52 AM #684

I skimmed through the first 20 or so pages before I gave up reading all the great ideas! - sorry if already mentioned, but here are my ideas I didn't find so far in other comments: My character can...

• train birds/pidgeons/crows to deliver mails to foreign regions. (And selling such delivery flights as a service) ...no, honestly it would make the game even more immersive. Presuming that no global mailing system exists a safer way to deliver small valueable goods (like artisan maps, recipes, contracts(!)) over great distances would be by birds than by merchant (which may be robbed out or get killed). e.g.: Going to war? Let an explorer/spy get to the other kingdom making a map of the region and sending it back to your king using a bird. Your merchant guild wants to sell goods to distant regions? Send birds delivering a catalouge of your wares. Maybe you will receive orders or contracts for delivery. Found a precious artifact (small enough that it can be lifted by a bird) in a distant place after a long, exhausting journey of exploration and survival in the wilderness as part of your contract? Send it to your customer via air mail instead of heading back to town and taking the risky of getting robbed or starving in the wilderness. ...quite a special "talent" as not everyone loves pidgeons ;) I think of it as a replacement of a global chat system but with the addition that it allows for sending small goods and contracts (because otherwise people could get turned off and just use other tools like Dischord to communicate)

• understand itself as being a part of something bigger beyond its perception. i.e. the character would be able to find meaning in ancient places, his (not perma)death and his soul and be able to share these deep insights into Elyria with others allowing them beeing blessed in a sense that their abilities get augmented/buffed (temporarily or permanently) but more important would be able to develop a feeling for nature catastrophes to come and therefore to prepare in e.g. developing a way to cure the land from suffering utilizing his deep understanding of what ties the world together. (Would take more or less the role of a priest/monk/seer-like person in society adding also further immersive / "lore"-heavy value to the game.

Let me know what you guys think of my ideas as I just heared of CoE couple of days ago ;)

Kernothia

3/29/2017 4:14:35 AM #685

My character can be a witch (given small powers by who ever your dark god may be and able to brew potions/elixirs not able to be learned by any one else)

3/29/2017 6:24:42 AM #686

My character can enchant jewels with different properties, then what ever those jewels are placed in will give the user the same properties, but it will take the right jewel and right primer for it to work, ( the primer being something with the corresponding property you want to transfer to the jewel). The idea would be to make it complicated enough that someone would have to spend a lot of time and effort to discover not only what makes a good primer but what jewels work with them, Then I could say take a healing potion and enchant a ruby with healing, then put it in a ring or armor to give healing to a car or put it in a weapon and you could steal health per hit, with this ability not only would my wares be the most sought after in all of Elyria, they would be used to shape the world and be the stuff of legend.

3/29/2017 11:07:31 AM #687
  1. Create drawings that move or come to life
  2. Dream about events happening in distant locations
  3. Cause rain and thunderstorms
  4. Survive in even the coldest environments, but finds heat painful
  5. Attract lightning and be struck by lightning without harm
  6. Hear people speaking from much further away than usual
  7. Cause objects to decay much faster or slower than normal
  8. Open Portals
  9. Teleport
  10. Sense the magnetic field
  11. Live without sleep
  12. Weep jewels
  13. Pass any disease they catch to another person
  14. Manipulate their age
  15. Alter nearby temperatures
  16. Cause plants to grow much more quickly than normal
  17. 16.

Shieldwall Strong!

3/29/2017 11:40:48 AM #688

i don't think that talents should be a weapon that leads to supreme power rather that they should be a key that leads to power if used correctly.

maybe a talent that slightly increases your luck, better items found or your creation turned out to be a quality better than expected. or if going into battle your the weather is more favourable to you and your allies, and of course amazing gambling skills.

a talent that allows you to write down a prediction or fortune for someone as long as you know that characters birthday and name. could be used as a trade and make some money or could be used by rulers in warfare and assassination plots.

a talent that increases skill gains in a certain circumstance such as when near death / near water / with allies / in the presence of royalty / after long amounts of isolation from others.

a talent for charisma, npc characters would give your character price benefits and be more willing to share information with them, they would also give your character more leeway than the law would usually permit.

If talents are more grand then

Maybe create constructs and give them life? or something similar, Gather wood and fashion them into the shape of a person and animate them. basic soldiers are then created. gather higher level items and pour more energy into it and create a basic level autonomous creature animal level with an animal level of intelligence. place even more emery into a creation and create temporary negative effects to yourself and create a npc level intelligence.

3/29/2017 11:45:42 AM #689

This could be interesting

A murderer talent.

your character would gain something like a skill reward or a temporary passive boost for a while after they killed an innocent marked npc (marked by the story engine as a character that would not be overly missed if killed?) the boost might last a couple of in game months or at least a few weeks, if you were to kill an innocent of your own accord you would no gain a further buff while the buff you already had was active. if you ever got caught you would loose this talent for a long time or some other risk

This would create a serial killer in a city that the people would try to apprehend. giving forensic bardic people someone to find and the murderer a reason and benefit to kill in a not to large degree.

3/29/2017 11:56:37 AM #690

i am a fan of flexible small talents that can amount to great things when used in certain ways.

a talent that lets someone know where someone else is if they get enough information about them, such as their name full name and birth date, they could use this to track criminals or locate lost heirs, if there are assassins in the world whose target has gone into hiding then they would seek the services of this talent holder. if someone needs someone found and has enough info on them you can find them.

perhaps there is a talent that causes a character idle animation to look in a certain direction, this could be a passive talent that leads them to a great treasure or something near by of great worth, they could be a treasure hunter who after long periods of finding treasure has gained a talent for knowing the general direction of great treasure.

... ...