COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
Roleplaying tools?

I may have overlooked a post already over this but i haven't found it. Most games lack solid tools to let roleplayers well roleplay. Simple things like sitting and emotes are nice but little things like cleaning a mug with a rag while your the barkeep, counting money on a abacus, Actually eating the food/ drinking? The ability to change facial expressions, and maybe 2 person emotes like dancing or shaking hands where both parties agree to the action and it is scripted? If a game is 3d simple chat doesn't cut it. While im sure they have some ideas of rp tools to implement i just wanna brainstorm here.

1/27/2016 6:21:17 PM #1

I still wanna answer for this, as this will make or break the games rp for me. Maybe general discussion is a better spot.

1/27/2016 6:31:18 PM #2

We know there will be emotes. What actions and expressions they cover we do not have a full list but:

"There is currently a list of 100 /emote commands - many of them will have animations before launch." - [Source]

We have also heard in Q&As about dancing and a bit more about emotes:

"Yeah, so really all the kind of emotes that people do or often time used as social or RP element, whether or not it’s bowing or saluting or high-fiving or whatever it is. Dancing is one of those you’ll often see in almost every game out there, has a slash dance or slash waltz or something like that, and you’ll see your character dance in place.

That’s not really dancing if you’re doing it alone in most cases, so it does allow you to dance with somebody and then say dance, and they’ll ask “do you want to dance” and you can yes or you can slash dance with them and you’ll both ballroom dance around the area that you’re standing in, and they can break that dance by moving their character to move out of place." - [Source] for the lovingly produced transcript.

I really like the idea of dancing, balls and the like. As well as emoting other activities to add life to the world.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

1/27/2016 6:33:58 PM #3

I loved final fantasy 14 for the emotes. But wouldn't it be cool as a bartender to pull out a mug and clean it with a rag while listening to your patrons stories of bravery? Lifting a mug to your mouth to take a sip or a hearty gulp? Its these little things that would add life to player interactions and be more immersive.

1/27/2016 6:36:32 PM #4

Yes a range of emotes would be great for different situations, the more they can add the better in my opinion. Wiping a mug, or a table, tilting their head to one side as they listen, winking at you when you say something rude! Small emotes can add so much.

1/27/2016 6:40:24 PM #5

I was thinking of have an interaction with object option. Such as you click on a table and get a range of options on what to do. Maybe have mugs be placeable in the world. Drawing from ff14 again as it had some good ideas, but for cooks being able to see your dish in 3D and placed on a table would mean alot to me. Cooks get shafted in so many games, either because food isnt essential and in those games where they are essential they are over simplified and leave almost no room for creativity. But having your consumables be in the world would be amazing.

1/27/2016 6:50:48 PM #6

Ahh I see what you mean! Interact with a specific mug rather than just an animation. Not sure how easy that would be for things like cleaning them and other detailed actions like that. It might well be easier to handle that with an emote, after all as long as you are doing the action does it matter which mug you are wiping? Though if you have the emote, can it just tie in with interacting, my technical knowledge has ceased!

As for peaceable item we have had information about that from a Q&A:

"The way the system works right now is that you have the ability to pickup items, pretty much any item in the world that you’re allowed there’s legal versus illegal to and then you put it down again. And when when you put it down again you get the little ghosting model that tells you where you’re about to put this, and when you finish your operation you put it there." - [Source] again a transcript of the video.

So it looks that that could be done with mugs, food, and anything at all!

1/27/2016 6:55:36 PM #7

Thinks like the mug wiping could just be an emote. Maybe have profession locked emotes so only a barkeep could do it. Or make the emote limited to being in proximity to a bar table. But im very excited to see how it is all done.

2/17/2016 8:42:23 AM #8

Reminds me of The Sims. Profession-locked emotes would be great, in addition to general ones anyone can use; ie, the dancing.

Pulling from ArcheAge, would it be possible to allow the players to move whilst dancing? Each movement in any direction adds a different kind of 'step' to the dance; it'd be great to have something slightly customizable.

Pulling from rhythm games like Stepmania, Dance Dance Revolution, Music Man Online, Audition Online -- would it be possible to implement something of a dance system, too? There's already guitar hero-styled minigames for playing instruments, perhaps something utilizing WASD for a minigame for dancing might work? It'll eliminate the issue of some keyboards not having a number pad or arrow keys to work with. :)

2/17/2016 1:39:14 PM #9

Age of conan's emotes where impressive (in number and variety) and dancing was funny - they used combos, depending on the keys you hit, dance style changed-.

Beyond emotes, another thing that helps a lot roleplaying is a trully interactive enviroment, which seems CoE will have.

2/17/2016 1:48:41 PM #10

Omg the walking while dancing made me laugh so much when i played. Looked so derpy at times! But still was a blast before Trion messed it all up.

2/17/2016 2:15:02 PM #11

Haha, yeah. xD My guild, Endeavour, pretty much had a monopoly on Solis Headlands and other settlements. It was great- but they shut down to get ready for BDO.

2/17/2016 2:17:47 PM #12

The First BDO beta caused me and every other pvper to leave after they removed open world pvp, removed player trade, lowered the difficulty, instanced housing, nerfed every dungeon to be soloable, and the forums are full of people who are literaly asking if they can solo the game like Kirito. I was in a Pirate guild during Archeages golden days and stuck with it up until last year when Trions mistakes finally butchered everything.

2/17/2016 3:17:10 PM #13

Yeah; I bought the Conquerer's Package to get into the first CBT with my friend (her long time account on another game had gotten hacked; she lost near $1000 worth of items).. a day before I found out I could have just bought a key from Kinguin for 5 bucks. I'm kinda stuck with BDO, but I'm really looking forward to CoE- definitely making up for BDO, lol.

4/1/2016 11:29:27 AM #14

^ This... oh, and also, sitting normally in a chair, a bar stool, on the edge of a cliff, crosslegged around a campfire.

4/1/2016 1:21:49 PM #15

I just wanna throw this out here: EQ2 Face tracking