COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Will non-RPers enjoy this game?

RPing is not really my cup of tea but the more I learn about this game the more I see it as being an RPers dream game. I played wow for a long time and joined my cousin on an RPPVP server. The earlier years of wow people would snap at me if I talked about anything outside the realm of wow or anything like key binds/macros stating I'm breaking their immersion.

I guess what I'm worried about is running into people who will refuse to play with me because I do not like RPing. Will that be servers to split us up?

1/14/2016 6:28:22 PM #1

I don't think they'll be splitting the RPers and non-RPers up unless the masses of folks just congregate to one server (assumed this cuz I could have sworn they said they weren't going to split up PvP and non-PvPers).

I don't personally RP either but justify my participation in the lore by using the lazy route of saying "I was transported into this world, so the actions that are taking place are my own. Deal wid it". Ultima did, the horrible DnD cartoon did it, imma do it too.

1/14/2016 6:31:41 PM #2

I understand that but what I plan to do in the game requires me to work with others. If they will refuse to work with me because of play differences I would be SOL.

1/14/2016 6:34:09 PM #3

I think non-RPers will enjoy this game just fine. I do think this will be a game where RPers will feel more comfortable than many MMOs in the past though. I love to RP, but I am not a firm believer in the ideology that someone must RP in an MMO. If I come across a group that is not RPing, I might a little, but I probably wont RP around them. And that wont hurt my feelings at all.

1/14/2016 6:51:02 PM #4

I see this kinda of thing becoming an issue, but to be fair if you go up to a group of rper's that just sit there and type in the chat all day. As long as they don't get in your way just ignore it I guess. I would encourage you to try and rp a little. The only rp I ever do is action rp which is where you do stuff like I tell people "Im off to slay _ who shall join me" then I simply go to the _ and kill it BOOM!

1/14/2016 6:51:53 PM #5

I think, from what I've seen, there is enough diversity in the community that there will be a place for pretty much everyone. There are plenty of people even now who aren't as interested in the RPing side of things, so I wouldn't worry :)

-Miguel

\[T]/

1/14/2016 7:06:25 PM #6

There are multiple gaming organizations recruiting for this game that have a low to no rp focus/requirement.

If you decide this game is something you want to invest in you will have no problem finding a group to join up with that concentrates more on the mechanics than forsooth'ing.

Generally speaking, there will always be interest from the non rp crowd as long as the combat/mechanics/politics/etc are engaging. IMO you see more of a hard core rp bent when the game has interesting social aspects but otherwise bland game mechanics (LOTRO)

1/14/2016 7:29:41 PM #7

I think most of the features of the game encourage some sort of light-Roleplay.

I mean you will have family chat, will want to marry to have offspring anyway, will have reasons to be involved in the story somehow, will want to have a character with more impact on the game (or not).

I think knowing how to play the game and roleplaying will be different things and honestly dont see this becoming a problem, both kind of players will enjoy the mecanics, the difference will be some people talking strange on chat or...doing strange things ala goldshire.

1/14/2016 7:49:59 PM #8

I don't mind making a female character for my family but I refuse to be moondguarded...

1/14/2016 8:05:59 PM #9

Non Rpers will take any system that has benefits and min/max it for the best results. This will be true for systems like family, opc, etc.

"What would my character do" and "What gives me the best advantages for the type of character I want to build" are not mutually exclusive. That said there is no announced system I have read or heard about that would encourage a non roleplayer to roleplay. Most likely it will just be another risk/reward calculation for them to make and theory craft about.

1/14/2016 9:27:56 PM #10

RPers are pretty much never in the majority of a game's playerbase and this game will be no different. Unless you're deliberately going to join a RP group, I see no reason to be worried about something like this. And well, it's hardly surprising that you got that kind of reaction when you picked a designated RP server in the first place.

1/14/2016 9:33:45 PM #11

Min/Maxer =/= Non-RPer ...I don't min/max at all..As I said I'm worried that people would not want to communicate because I wouldn't RP with them..I would "break their immersion"..I want to be a detective ingame which would end up helping more people than myself.

1/14/2016 9:37:06 PM #12

That's the main reason I wanted to know if the servers will be split. I would never have to worry about that. Wow was my first MMO so when my cousin asked me to join I didn't know what I was getting into. I just played with him because he was my cousin.

1/14/2016 9:54:53 PM #13

Fear stops people doing anything and that concept applies in game and real life.

If you like the concept of the game, leave the speculation and play it when it's available. If anything, you're jeapordising your experience before you've even chosen a soul.

Enjoy the ride :P Focus on the good and leave the bad out for the time being, until bad shows itself.

1/14/2016 9:57:13 PM #14

I guess I should have made my mutually exclusive comment more detailed. Obviously type A =/= type B. Liking this doesn't mean not liking that, etc.

TLDR: I think your worries are unwarranted, as long as you research the server you join and the groups you help.

1/14/2016 10:26:28 PM #15

I see, when it comes to me shelling out money I always think about to good and the bad. If this was a F2P game I wouldn't have thought twice about it. This is just a game I plan to play for as long as I can.