COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Role Play?

Will actual "role playing" be essential? I know many love it, but to be honest it drives me crazy, I find it to be completely distracting. I know youre a dwarven bard, I don't need you to try to speak to me the way YOU think a dwarven bard would speak. If there is going to a large contingent of people who want this, might I suggest a seperate server? I don't want to ruin anyones elses gameplay, nor do I wish mine ruined.(for me, a lot of rp happening around me would definitely be the end of my gaming)

2/17/2016 8:30:37 AM #1

I think this game can enjoy both those who are roleplayers and those who don't. No matter what role you take, is not a set of classes where you have to kill an animal for armor. If you're a blacksmith have to talk to a miner to get materials, or if you're a carpenter with a lumberjack. Moreover, you won't find an NPC with a ! or ? over its head, both NPCs and players can hire your services to get something (an object, find a person, etc). For that I always say CoE is a very interactive game.

I don't know how was your experience with those who play this way, so I can't imagine how this type of game can exasperate you.

In my case, I'm roleplaying, I have seen people who did not understand the gameplay interrupted my game for fun (it happens a lot in the Spanish community). To be in a game where it is understood that if you are a carpenter you'll have to talk to a lumberjackand for business, or if you're a doctor you will have to treat people, and no one will look bad because it's mechanics play.

What I mean is if you know you're going to interact with people in this game, you can ignore those who exasperate you. As in real life, you don't have to go to a person you don't like because you need something, you can choose another one.

So you don't need to be a roleplayer to play CoE but you should interact with others to achieve your goals.

PD: I'm not a native speaker, sorry if you find some gramatical faults.

2/17/2016 9:50:54 AM #2

Roleplay, or don't, but don't be a jerk about the other person's decision is probably the best way to look at it. Some will roleplay others won't I don't think it matters a whole lot as long as the community as a whole accepts that people will play differently. I'm sort of a mixed RPer. I don't necessarily Min/Max and metagame everything, but I don't put on an accent and ignore modern terminology.

2/17/2016 10:54:25 AM #3

I do not think there is any intention for different servers for different play styles as one of the things that really matters for this game is population. Splitting up the population more than necessary is certainly something to be avoided.

I do not think roleplay is essential. But, as people have already said there is such a spectrum of playing a role in this game. I think it is certainly beneficial to think about your character in a bit more of a simple skill set, give them some life. I do not think you then need to act that life out though if that is not something that appeals to you.

I am a bit confused when you say that people roleplaying would end your gaming. How do you know if they are roleplaying or simply playing? If they are stood at a market stall battering for an item is that roleplay or play? If they are stood in the tavern discussing the actions that have been happening in the area are they roleplaying or just looking for things for their character to do? What is it about the act of roleplaying that puts you off so much.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

2/17/2016 11:03:32 AM #4

>What is it about the act of roleplaying that puts you off so much.

My guess is that it's less about someone playing a role, and more about someone doing bad voices, being "particular" about other people not talking in character, or my personal favorite "What is this magical "insert modern item" you are speaking of?"

2/17/2016 1:14:51 PM #5

Intentionally or not, in this game you are going to "roleplay": every time you discuss the terms of a contract with someone, prices, every time you talk with someone about a quest or an adventure... it doesn't mean necessarily to use an specific way of talking, most roleplayers do more things than just roleplay (myself, in all the games -mmo- I play I always roleplay, and I do pve and pvp, because I like to enjoy every part of a game, and there are many like me) And they aren't "noobs", one of the best pvper's i've ever seen in WoW was a roleplayer.

Think about kingdoms: they will need to negotiate with other kingdoms, treaties, peace, alliances and more, if you try to piss of a king and the king wants to mantain his own reputation, he must act (it is a sort of roleplaying reaction), if others see a king weak, rebellions and coups d'etat will be a reality.

It is not going to be "traditional mmo roleplaying" nor "tabletop roleplaying",CoE is just... different and can create a new way to play on mmo, this is the fact that attracted me more and this is why I'm here.

Comunication is going to be a need, not an option, for almost everything. Some will roleplay, some will not, but i don't think this is going to be a problem.

You can say there are some roleplayers that are jerks ignoring you or joking for how you speak but i can assure you they are less than the non roleplayers who just try to troll roleplayers (I'm saying this because it is what I saw on every mmo I played).

Beyond that, in this game the more people join a single server, the better: more interactions, more quests, more vivid economy, more everything.

Nobody forces you to roleplay, but creating "ghettos" (like separated servers are) is, in my opinion, not a very good idea.

2/17/2016 1:30:28 PM #6

My experiences with roleplayers are something like this: Jennycat<jumps into tree> Tomcat<Chases Jennycat into tree and grabs her breasts> and it only goes south from there or, someone trying to speak(thee, thou, etc) in a way that they become essentially unitelligable because they themselves don't really have a grasp of how that form of language actually worked, Again let me emphasize, I have 0% desire to ruin anyones game, but seeing a lot of the above type of acting, well, it doesn't work for me.

2/17/2016 1:35:21 PM #7

Wow, you've seen the worst, but what you see is barely roleplaying. True serious roleplayers just take the role of the character (a shy lady, a drunk old warrior, a fanatic crusader, etc.).

It is true that serious roleplayers in most games just to stay far of non roleplayers to avoid trolls and "roleplayers" like those you've seen.

2/17/2016 1:39:41 PM #8

I am so sorry. Please do not think we are all like that just because we like roleplay. Also please do not shut me on a server with those sorts of players just because I like roleplay, I beg you!

As will all games there will be people that are not great, people you do not want to hang around. I think it is a lot better just to walk on by. Trying to segregate the community into smaller and smaller parts is just not beneficial in the long run.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

2/17/2016 1:53:11 PM #9

Indeed I wouldn't want someone like you segregated, I just wasn't sure how things would work. I am looking forward not only to the game itself but as much to the people I will meet. I do warn you all, though, no matter what character I play, expect a lot of sarcasm and humor from me. I don't troll, I just like to makes folks stomachs ache with laughter before I offer them a hand, or cut theirs off - whatever way it may go. ;-].

2/17/2016 1:56:13 PM #10

We plan on roleplaying only to pass the time. My group wont roleplay if it means we lose money or it would affect us negatively. We will still use voice comms and all that jazz but thats needed to keep everyone in a large corporation like Helgrim together.

2/17/2016 2:06:14 PM #11

last Q&A mentioned "reputation". This hints at some sort of +/- system you can give people based on their interactions with you. I'm sure it'll be much more complex than that however if you ignore people, you'll get a bad rep surely. if you are rude to people you'll get a bad rep. if you dodge questions or generally be a dick, you'll get a bad rep.

So while some people might be all like "what is that magical <insert modern day item> that you speak of", you'll quickly find that they'll get a bad reputation, which will have other repercussions.

While i'm sure the game will encourage roleplaying, I'm also sure that the game will punish those who are purposely being unhelpful and smug. though it'll be down to the players in general to decide what constitutes good or bad rep

2/17/2016 2:07:50 PM #12

Thats like allowing downvoting and letting trolls band together to ruins someone rep.

2/18/2016 1:03:18 AM #13

only just started to catch up to date watching DM21 Gaming and heres my two cents worth.

I think this game has the potential for both without those issues your talking about. If anything it may be learning towards RP as the game is all about your characters story but and its a big BUT, when you walk into a town you would have names above people so in a sense everyone will be RPing a little bit. Not sure if this helps as above people i think have hit the nail on the head.

You hear the rumors of a new Clan to the north The, Iron Mist check out our Discord or APAC Grand Duchy of Kybourne Keep your eye's on the horizon for we are coming with Iron, through the mist we sail, silently for ever closer.

2/18/2016 1:20:18 AM #14

It is SUPER annoying but i dont think a separate server would be neccesay

2/18/2016 6:56:30 AM #15

I used to play NWN both 1 and 2 on roleplay servers, and you would definitely get the worst ones that @Sanguinesh Eviscerator was talking about. I agree THAT particular style of roleplay is super annoying, but just playing your character the way you think they would act should be no problem.

Hell, I would get GMs pulling me aside for "not roleplaying" when I would sneak up on someone pick their pocket, pass the spot check and pickpocket checks, and walk away without saying <moves something around near your pouch> or anything at all sometimes. If they failed the spot check, then they didn't see me do anything! Not sure how remaining undetected, and stealing things isn't playing the role of a thief. Especially when that server had a specific script designed for pickpocketing.

I do hope there is some sort of reputation mechanic like that, but not so bad that it can be abused to ruin someones experience. If It was possible, I would like to see the whole community on a single shard. Not sure if that is even possible.