COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
DJ #4 - Incapacitation vs. Spiritwalking vs. Death

Hey All,

I'm currently hard at work with DJ #4. In this week's design journal we're going to finally answer those burning questions you have about death. We'll talk about the different types of death including 'Incapacitation' (formerly called maiming), 'spiritwalking', and 'permadeath', we'll go into details about what spiritwalking is and some of the cool mechanics that come with it, and finally, we'll talk about the different loot rules that apply to the different types of dying.

And of course, I'll slip in another Easter egg for those that want to ruminate on what other crazy features we're working on.

8/23/2015 4:14:05 PM #1

Can't wait to find out if we can loot te bodies of 'incapacitated' bodies and how it will work on battlefields since I wouldn't want a enemy soldier I killed to ressurect again in the same spot 1 minute later lol. 

8/23/2015 4:32:52 PM #2

Not gonna try the easter egg this time i think... I never seem to get the gist of it anyway ahahahahah

Gonna read it with alot of attention though :3

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p795/SilDarklight/Chronicles%20of%20Elyria/Forum/Sigs/Luccheno%20600x100altzpsuev3knqe.jpg

8/23/2015 5:12:40 PM #3

Looking forward to reading it. I will try for the easter egg!

8/23/2015 5:17:52 PM #4

Excited to read it as always. Hopefully it might also give us an idea of which types of death negitvely affect our spirit, which was something we were getting confused about in another thread recently.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

8/23/2015 5:37:20 PM #5

I want those who die in battle to 'respawn' away from the battle, stops every battlefield from becomming a neverending battle. 

8/23/2015 6:42:18 PM #6

Every death/incapacitation affecting the character, it will be interesting to see how they avoid the deaths caused by glitches being counted... situations like falling through earth, unavoidable death loops (caused by glitches or in PvP), inability to reach own corpse, etc. Maybe some long invulnerability cooldown after each death, ability to summon the corpse in certain safe locations, etc.

Methinks I'll be spending quite a while looking for my corpse on the bottom of the sea...

8/23/2015 7:07:14 PM #7

That would be a huge pain, finding your body only to drown again in seconds :S

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault!

8/23/2015 7:17:27 PM #8

I suppose then they would respawn your body into a new location and the body you can't gets to will rot away quickly

8/23/2015 7:30:30 PM #9

I'm so stoked for this next one! One of the biggest reasons is that from my experience in mmos, how death is dealt with is a huge, huge deal for most players. By huge, I mean deal breaker with some gamers.

8/23/2015 7:31:41 PM #10

*Plot twist* You get killed,your body gets looted,you respawn naked. Walk of shame initiated.

8/23/2015 7:43:52 PM #11

you spawn with loin clothes :) 

8/23/2015 7:52:30 PM #12

lol just like ark, at some point i didnt even bother with armor anymore, every time i logged in it was either stolen or dyed pink 

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault!

8/23/2015 7:53:30 PM #13

In Ark I believe your character just laid there waiting to get killed, in CoE you can program your OPC.

8/23/2015 7:55:44 PM #14

true 

8/23/2015 7:58:38 PM #15

that stuff could still happen but that would mean you would have a lacking behaviour code or logged off somewhere dangerous so it's your responsibility.