COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Non Traditional Professions.

With the information provided in the latest Design Journal what non traditional MMO professions can you see being of use.

I would like to see a specialized Taylor. Pocket Maker. Able to sew pockets into any piece of clothing that can be equipped.

10/1/2015 12:15:49 PM #1

There are quite a few that I can think of, but each one raises more questions! To be honest until we know more I am not sure exactly how any will work, or even if they are possible. These are four of the list:

Courier - This is the one mentioned in all the introduction posts, but still grabs my attention. Whether delivering mail or items it is certainly an interesting profession. Q: Can you write the courier into the contract, or even if you can write a whole courier guild into the contract so any member could complete it?

Warehouse owner - We have had a couple of mentions form the Devs about “Where will you store that?” and it could be that profession builds up around it. You give your items and a fee to the warehouse manager, they then store them for a pre-arranged time and then return them to you. Q: Can you write collection into a contract or would the warehouse manager be forced to hunt the person down to return the goods?

Developer - No not the game, but housing estates. You could have people buying up areas of land just to develop them working with contracts to architects, carpenters and other crafts to build a range of houses, roads, amenities, which can then be sold on individually to people who want them. Q: Will the way land ownership allow for a package of land to be sold off in sections?

Landlord - A person who owns land with several properties on it and rents out that space to tenants in return for coinage. The tenant would have limited control over the property but wouldn’t have the worry of security etc. as that would all be in the hand of the landlord. Q: Will landownership allow tenants, especially being able to be limit access to communal areas and their own designated space?

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

10/1/2015 5:22:38 PM #2

I'll just throw one out there that I haven't seen yet.

Barber: a character that can gives haircuts, shaves, dye hair, etc. They'd probably start off giving horrible haircuts and making people look worse than when they came in. Eventually though they'd become skilled enough to change a characters appearance to the point they're almost unrecognizable. The main reason I think this could be viable is because of the way adventurers and travelers get dirty and appear unkempt after being in the wilderness for a time. I can see it being entertaining hearing about others adventures while you clean them up.

10/1/2015 9:31:15 PM #3

Accounting- The handling of money, from bankers to tax collectors. Someone has to handle the money.

Weaver-One who crafts tapestries, carpets, curtains, etc. (Not a tailor, tailors deal with cloths on a person.)

Alt text - can be left blank

10/1/2015 10:32:11 PM #4

Performer - A circus, local, or even royal performer hired/payed to make people entertained with many "things" up their sleeve, creating many tricks, illusions, and gymnastic moves.

10/5/2015 3:55:04 AM #5

Whaler - Knowledge of sailing, using harpoons and whaling equipment, deconstructing a whale into meat, blubber, and bones for various uses. Of course, requires the game to have a sea or ocean.

10/5/2015 4:43:34 AM #6

Inventor

Patents were mentioned in last DJ, and I see a huge potential in them. If many inventors work on different aspects of the same technology, it might be possible to achieve a major scientific breakthrough, which leads to the possibility of manufacturing better tools, weapons, etc..

10/5/2015 8:14:26 AM #7

We know that there are going to be barbers in towns to get your hair cut and your beard trimmed when you come back from adventures. But I'm not sure if that is something players will be able to do.

10/5/2015 8:22:16 AM #8

Innkeeper: It will be the owner of an Inn, not only a place to eat but also to sleep temporarily or even on a more permanent base.

10/5/2015 10:01:31 AM #9

Actually we have conflicting info on this one!

But don’t worry, if you don’t like the “I’ve been to Mt. Doom and back” look you can always stop at a barber shop and get cleaned up.” [Source - DJ]

That seems to pretty clear cut and confirms their existence but in the last Live Chat, when our resident style icon and fashionista Liva asked about them, the responses were far more mixed and uncertain.

Either allowing people to change their style at will - tied to the current length, or having to go to a barber to do it. In general, I think I like the idea of allowing people to style their hair themselves.....” The reason there was doubt about making it a job was the risk that no one would actually take on a purely cosmetic based profession where they were no making a real impact on the world. When NPC run barber shops was speculated on there was also the comment “But remember... anything an NPC can do a player can do.

As the Live Chat is the more recent source it looks like it is still up in the air. So it might be something we can do as a profession, or if might just be something we do for ourselves.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

10/5/2015 10:38:45 AM #10

Yes VictoriaRachel, that was actually what I had in mind when I said that... It's just that I worded it wrong :D

Thanks for the clarification!

10/5/2015 11:01:21 PM #11

What would be really neat is to be in possession of a bust with hair, like those given at cosmetology institutes for both practice and assignments. This way you can build your skill and give customers what they desire. Of course, you can always skimp out on the bust and practice on said customers. You're choice. xp

You've got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course.

Stick to it, no matter the squalls!

10/5/2015 11:49:45 PM #12

This one's a bit out there; Locksmith: The idea of arming the homes of your village/ town/ city is so cool. You could even be the one who armed the home of your King. Granted, a feat or title such as this may not be as recognizable to the larger community.

You've got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course.

Stick to it, no matter the squalls!

10/5/2015 11:59:09 PM #13

I do know locks will be in the game as they have said that rooms will each have their own lock and key. I do not know if we are required to build the lock separately but if so it would be and it provides a new challenge for thieves.

10/6/2015 3:59:28 AM #14

Professional gambler? House of chance owner? Maybe with certain mechanics and contracts, it'll be possible?

10/20/2015 5:41:42 PM #15

Considering there will be brothels... pimp? prostitute?