COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Architecture

So I've not yet seen a place of large chat around architecture though I have seen topics here and there so I was hoping to make this that area and get everyones views on it.

Generally I'm excited about getting hold of and seeing how the architecture tool works and just playing around for a bit to get a feel for it. My fingers are so crossed for tunneling they're claws!

Who is thinking of it as a profession?
Anything specific you have in mind to build?
Do you have any background in 3D modeling ect?
Are you an architect?
Does anyone have a job lined up with a guild already?
When will you be in game?
If you are going to be an architect, will you have a secondary profession?

Not exclusive questions I just wanted a general place to chat.

Anyone seeking employment in game e-mail:
[email protected]

House Richfort Discord:
https://discord.gg/0yz8ZNF7011L8Ant

Golden Bank Discord:
https://discord.gg/011SBTMgD5kCTOhHY

MADE - Mazo Architectural Developments of Elyria:
https://discord.gg/012iQsVMVT9wObdSA

Other related posts:
Town planning guide

Building Restrictions
Tree Houses
Tunnels / Moats
Square Footage of buildings
Buildings for a Town/City

5/11/2016 2:35:25 AM #1

Architect will be in game and there supposed to have a working standalone tool to play with/customize buildings prior to launch (hopefully sooner than later). I think they may be in high demand since you need blueprints to build, and definatly in demand for making secret walls and doors.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

5/11/2016 3:15:59 AM #2

Considering everyone will need buildings for their guilds, shops, governments, etc. Architects will be in very high demand and I'd assume really profitable.

5/11/2016 3:35:52 AM #3

I plan on pursuing this profession. I have always been into the building and city planning type games. I used to draw blueprints on graph paper for star wars rebels hide-outs when i was 12. Weird Kid. Always have been into this stuff and I plan on doing this full time in Elyria.

I will also probably do another profession once i have honed in my Architecture skills. Probably something to help the cause such as Carpentry or Masonry.

-the one, the only... justincredible, soon to be Elyria's Premier Architect-

backer#1,552

5/11/2016 3:52:20 AM #4

I am a Survival builder nut; you name it I have played it and built a huge "something" in it. If I need to be an Architect to build out our Town/City I'll go down that path.

As a Noble it is actually rather natural to be a design level creator I suppose? "I want Gold Leaf and Pastels on EVERYTHING" *sprinkles glitter at the Master Mason, who then just Sighs.

“Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.” - Carl Sagan

5/11/2016 4:00:04 AM #5

I cant wait for the standalone designer so i can see all the materials they give us to work with.

backer#1,552

5/11/2016 6:06:42 AM #6

It will also be interesting to see how simple we have to start before we must research new technology for different features, such as multiple levels, different windows and doors, etc. Or, perhaps a lot of these will already be in the base technology and only depend on the architect's skill level.

Regardless, I'm very excited for the tool as well!

(Sidenote @justincredible: I can't believe it, I used to draw Star Wars rebel bases too! lol)

5/11/2016 6:09:49 AM #7

@QuietChaneleon thats crazy, i thought i was the only weird-o! haha

backer#1,552

5/11/2016 6:15:18 AM #8

I am very into strategic architecture and weaponry and have some CAD program skills so I may choose corresponding roles in the community, I may be a blacksmith, artificer or architect. Or skilled long range assassin I will decide when the game launches.

May the light guide and the darkness protect.

5/11/2016 6:24:28 AM #9

I'm planning on going the architect route myself, and I'm trying to set up a guild that does building design and construction for other players in game.

No formal architectural experience, but I've made some very nice builds in various Minecraft worlds over the years: castles, towers, towns, and currently a scale replica of Arkham, MA from Lovecraft's mythos. I really enjoy the whole process, from layout to materials to decoration, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what we'll be able to play with here in CoE.

5/11/2016 6:28:33 AM #10

Definitely spent a lot of time building things in minecraft. I was a builder on the game of thrones themed server Westeroscraft for about a year.

backer#1,552

5/11/2016 6:37:14 AM #11

I'm very strongly interested in this aspect, indeed it is one of the key reasons I backed this game. The potential is there for this game to surpass the original design of SWG, which in the end became a "place pre-made structures only"system.

A key aspect that will need to be tested is maintenance costs. IN SWG my experience was that even with a busy player city, being an architect in SWG was a lot of fun but ultimately the cost of maintaining buildings did not justify the build + maintenance costs. A simple house next to the 'default capital city' on a server was a better location to craft and sell things than anywhere else, and did not have the huge up-front time and resource costs either.

That aside, the last game which offered anything like the building flexibility the videos have shown is intended here was venerable old Ultima Online. I spent years tweaking and building houses there, so I have absolutely no doubt that if they implement a good system, I am going to love it and push it to its full potential.

Fun times ahead... although it will be interesting to see how they handle loading times, because if someone like me creates a town (or heaven forbid a city), there might be a whole new level to the phrase "player dungeon". Fun :)

Link to my story

5/11/2016 6:49:14 AM #12

It sounded like upkeep would be variable depending on what you chose for building materials. Build with more durable materials and have to pay less over time for replacement components sort of a thing.

As to actual money costs, I'm guessing that's entirely dependent on your local landlord? Like you said, it'll be interesting to see how the concept plays out for sure!

5/11/2016 1:51:36 PM #13

Curious how many will hire and how many will self-design. Certainly games like Sims are immensely popular, but most people enjoy designing as a key part of the game. It's a risky business having someone else around who knows your secret hideaways too.

Perhaps some plans will be pre-made, but changeable ie internally. Perhaps some parts can be purchased as plans ie for secret doors, but applied where you fancy yourself.

5/11/2016 7:10:10 PM #14

I am so so happy so many people have come out to comment on this that are interested. Naturally I'm taking note to have you all assassinated to become the only good architect but you know. Why let little things like attempts on your life ruin some good discussion :P

I'm very excited for the tool, I have hopes (as I'm in the Exposition) so I really hope I'll have built myself up skill wise in that three months to take on an apprentice. That would be my ideal plan. I really hope it's something that can be learned this way.

Do you think they'll take out a architect IP pack?

5/11/2016 7:23:25 PM #15

I am for sure. I'm hoping the design tool comes out sooner rather than later so we can get to work creating amazing assets for the game. What I'm a little unsure of - if anyone can make teh design out side fo the game - what role does and architcect in game play? Do they create the blueprints? Does that mean that if someone who isn't an architect in game - but who wants to design buildings offline - they would need to get those to an architect to be drafted in game? The whole in and out of game thing is a bit had to get my head around.

Has there been any sort of information around different styles for differnt areas, kingdoms, continents? Or will that be just what ever the players decide to make? Will there be an approval process - so that xX420NoScopeXx can't just make a giant <insert noun here> and place it next to my inn?

Even a small cog can turn a large gear - Kythiq Proverb