COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
what are your worries about the game?

Sure devs love to be told how great the game is but constructive criticism (or what might happens) can be worth a ton more. How this thread will work 1. One post per fear or possible letdown. 2. If you agree with one already posted then like it so the devs will know . 3. If a fear has already been discussed in a DJ or something else and you know the awnser then post a reply but nothing from community rumors. Straight from dev or it doesn't count.

I don't have time to compile (7 week old) but if someone else does below me great.

I will start off.

I am afraid that most people with talents or story souls will never know so the 5% will look like 0%.

10/25/2015 1:27:24 PM #1

To address your concern, the soulborne engine has a mechanic that will take an undiscovered talent away from a soul if that talent is needed for the story. It then gives it to another soul. No one will ever know this because the talent was undiscovered.

10/25/2015 2:00:36 PM #2

That's not what I meant...what I meant is what if no one ever discovers their talents or storylines. People like one play style in most games and as they said you can be fighting your whole life then farm one day and poof. But who will make a drastic change like that? And nothing has been said that the engine takes play style into account.

10/25/2015 2:11:59 PM #3

People will play the story though. Those are the people that will discover talents. If no one decides to play the story, then no one will discover talents. The game is designed to be played without talents, so it wouldnt have much impact.

10/25/2015 2:30:48 PM #4

I can sort of see where the OP is coming from with this.

One of the things that every other game does is give an even playing field to every player. So what you end up with, is something like a Star Wars game where you cannot move without bumping into a Jedi, when according to the SW lore, Jedi should be a rare thing to encounter.

I think that the folks behind CoE are being very brave behind going down the 'you pay your money and take your chances' route.

Personally, I love the idea. But I can see a lot of whinage along the lines of "I want to be a magic user. I've paid my money so make that I can be a magic user, FIX THIS NOW!"

This for me is my main worry for the game. Sadly, there are just too many of the 'I want everything and I want everything now' crowd who will put out so much bad press about the game that it will put off those who cannot see that CoE is an intuitive game that does not follow the herd and does things differently.

10/25/2015 2:41:57 PM #5

How will players know what their story is? It is random for every soul and I havnt seen much on it.

10/25/2015 2:44:52 PM #6

I am very selfish - and my only worry is that my soul won't get a talent. But on the other side of that, I have no worries on the mechanics of the game, they're all good.

10/25/2015 2:46:40 PM #7

I'm worried about the non-realistic elements. I don't like having sorcerers, dragons, vampires, and whatnot, running around. Yea, I understand that the majority of this community actually likes having those things around. But, those are exactly the things that can unbalance the game. An overpowered sorcerer, a powerful vampire, an immortal army, etc.. The fact that these things will be rare won't solve our balance problem, it'll just add to it. A few powerful players will disrupt the balance even more.

10/25/2015 2:56:01 PM #8

My greatest worry is that after spending a great deal of time with community members and forming friendships with them that once the game launches it has something that causes them not to want to play or they get bored and move on. The loss of camaraderie that was established is my one worry that has played out in the past and I don't want to see it again.

10/25/2015 2:57:03 PM #9

Just by playing their character they will know their story. The game has a main story that have events that can be triggered. The players that play that story will know the story as it unfolds.

10/25/2015 3:06:53 PM #10

They will know is not enough. I think they said no quest logs. So just saying players will know is way too hopeful for me...that is my worry no one will know and very few will stumble on it

10/25/2015 3:21:30 PM #11

The developers have stated in the live chat that the seasons will be 25 hours long, therefore the time seasons change is ever moving. With a day being 2.5 hours long this makes a season exactly 10 days so a year 40 days or 100 hours. I can understand why the number of hours in a day is offset, you want to make sure people who play at the same time each evening are not always logging in at night, that makes a lot of sense. What I can not see any benefit for is having 25 hours in a season, how does that actually help anyone? What does that actually add to the game? It is a small thing perhaps, but I worry that small choices for ease of working out numbers in a program might have big impacts on the over all feel.

I would personally personally like to see 2.5 hour days remain but not link the number of years or season to this figure. Instead have a 24 hour season and a 96 hour year. This simple change makes things a lot clearer for the community.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

10/25/2015 3:47:37 PM #12

I am an explorer combat type of player when it comes to any games even more so for an mmorpg. So my greatist worries always revolve around that.

A) They talk about a huge world and it always changing in some way shape or form, but will there really be enough to explore or will most the world just be "open flatland" with little things here n there. And even is there is a lot, do they feel unique or is it just another cave in an other spot.

B) Is combat any good? Does not have to be Super fast pace like Vindictus, but it has to be alot better then something like Skyrims slow repetative combat was. Need real skill based combat like they say, not just 1 sword swing over n over n over.

C)After being reborn yes your stats start over, however lets say I was master in some form of combat, if I am not there yet again for gear/skill level, can I still fight 1v1 against someone who is? Not saying that gear cannot help in combat, but a skilled player should be able to take someone on who's stronger "level/gear wise" if the skill level is that different.

Just because a game says yes at some point in development, doesn't always mean the finished product means yes.

Those would be my top 3, but I could make a list of much more for this or any game.

10/25/2015 4:52:02 PM #13

Greetings all.

I do hate that my first post in this community is on a thread such as this, but I do feel this a very good subject to cover as early as possible.

I am worried that vampires will be treated like the current pop culture icons they have become, and not like the hideous debilitating curse it should be.

I wonder if vampires will be romanticized and sparkly, or the dirty, powerful, cursed creatures of the night that I hope they would be - Strong, fast, burning in day light but owning the night.

10/25/2015 5:04:47 PM #14

I worry that the end product will be a glitch bug-fest that so many ambition games became. In addition to that, I kind of worry that everyone will want to be a Hero, or a soldier.

10/25/2015 5:05:13 PM #15

Vampires will not sparkle, that is confirmed. It is a curse. They can be extremely powerful, but catch them in the sun light and they are much easier to deal with. They will also be extremely hard to identify as a vampire when they are out at night. Specifics werent given, but Im assuming they will be more like vampires from older films, yet not quite Nosferatu old.

EDIT: And welcome to the community!