COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
The Storm

I spoke a single word; "release". The command was echoed down the line, followed quickly by the crack of wood against wood.

Large boulders launched through the air, rain down upon the city. Several boulders smashing into the base of the wall; a couple causing good damage to the wall. One cleared the top of the wall, taking two archers with it, smashing through the roof of a house embedding itself into the second story of a larger structure.

A second volley was launched, nearly all the boulders smashing into the wall, some tearing the top of the wall apart. Screams could be heard from the city now, people running around inside preparing for the fight ahead.

"Walsh, Units 2, 5, and 6; launch fire".

"Seyrah" He replied making a salute with a fist with his right hand and placing it across is chest. The command echoed down the line. A few moments later, burning balls trailing thick black smoke through the sky. These cleared the walls with ease, smashing into several buildings igniting several instantly.

Only one smashed into the middle of the main avenue, but it exploded into a ball of fire covering the area with deadly flame; several people could be seen running around caught on fire.

"One round more Walsh, then standard firing at the walls."

"Seyrah," this attack went on for several hours more. The walls eventually crumbling in several sections. In the distance, throngs of people could be seen evacuating the city. The fires set earlier in the day had spread significantly but ultimately died out.

Dusk was coming rapidly and as I looked towards the sky, straining to see my birth star, I let out a heavy sigh.

"Thinking about to before the war again sir?" Walsh asked, looking up at me with a bemused look.

"Do not worry about it Walsh. Do we even know what this city is called?"

"Not at all sir, the map we have on this area is outdated. According to our map, its still just a small nameless village."

"Such a pitiful sight." I said as I cantered my horse forward; withdrawing my sword, riding in front of my troops.

"Men and women of Vornair! We act in defense of our honor! Their cowardly attack on our king is unforgivable! Their use of an assassin, declared the war. You all, you are MY Legion. We have been given the task of striking back against this enemy. Watch how they run! This is not worthy of our valor. Move forth and take this city for the honor of our king; so that we may strike into the heart of the enemy!"

"Seyrah, seyrah, seyrah~!" The legion chanted in unison. On the third chant, I turned at pointed my sword towards the stricken city. The chant turning into a ground shaking war cry as they legion surged forward; rushing into the gaps in wall, crushing the meager town guard with ease.

I turned my horse to retrieve my war hammer and join my troops in the city. Letting my gaze go skyward once more to a star shining brighter than the rest as dusk descended.

I felt like writing a short story to get out some ideas in my mind about possible warfare in CoE.

If people want, I can write more easily.

8/10/2016 12:17:17 PM #1

I must say I enjoyed your first plot and how you set the story in motion. Looking forward to your next chapter. 👍

Duke Usifan Banner

8/11/2016 12:50:18 AM #2

Chapter 2

It only took a couple of minutes, but by the time I made my way to the wall the fighting was largely over. The meager town guard retreating in the face of the much larger force. A majority retreating to assist the fleeing civilians and presumably, to report to other officials of our incursion.

I swung the weighty war hammer onto my armored shoulder as I walked through the front gate. The smell of dead flesh and burnt wood was strong in the air. The buildings closest to the gate had the most damage. The fire hadn't spread more than a block from the start, the wide streets stopping the fire from spreading further.

Running around were priests and priestesses from the Children of Mann, healing and helping guide those with who had been separated from their bodies back. To the right, a Priestess was pulling a young girl out of some debris. The girl, whose body had been burned across most of it, couldn't have been more than 10. Judging from the anguished look on the Priestess's face, it was more for her soul to take.

I walked over to her and joined her in prayer over the girl. I'm not what one would call religious, but I couldn't help but feel responsible for the girls death. Maybe her soul will have better luck in the next life.

The Priestess was just sitting there, looking at the girls face; so I picked up a folded blanket and placed it over her body. "Lets' not embarrass her soul but looking at her past body" I said to the Priestess. She looked up at me with angry eyes and her hands curled into fists.

"Maybe if it weren't for men like you, I wouldn't have to do a solemn duty like this. But why would you care? In the end you go back to your own country."

"My lady, I care more than you know." She regarded me for a moment.

"And why is that great soldier?" She asked I was turning away from her.

I had considered just ignoring her. A general shouldn't have to answer an obvious question like that. Only the crazed soldiers or stupid ones enjoyed taking life. However, walking away offended my sensibilities, so I stopped walking and looked back.

"Because, I'm the one who gave the order." From the look on her face, I knew she wouldn't be responding, at least not quickly enough. I continued down the street into the center of the small city, i heard the sounds of revelry coming from a tavern that had lost a portion of its front wall.

As i entered through the hole, the sound of laughter became loud and hearty. I had been hoping to make it in unseen, but the candle light had cast shadows upon me. It took only a few moments to be noticed.

If the candlelight was not enough, the brightness from the full moon would ensure they could see exactly who I was.

"Sir!" one solider exclaimed quickly standing at attention and putting a salute up; to which practically everyone followed suit, wonderful.

"At ease gentlemen, no need to be so rigid. I was looking to get one myself." To which the woman behind the bar, a Sergeant Keri, quickly pored and handed a big mug to me, flashing a bright smile.

As I found myself a seat, I realized they were looking expectantly at me. So putting on a smile, I stood up and made a toast.

"To this victory!" I said, a sentiment which they echoed.

"To Vornair!" The man who had spotted me said, hard to argue with that.

"To the King!" Sgt. Keri said from behind the bar, another swig down.

"To you all." I said raising my mug higher. I took another swig, smiling to myself. As good as this Arthos mead was, it didn't compare to Vornair brandy. Another man stood up, wobbling a bit as he did.

"And damnation to those that would try to poison our king!" That got a rousing cheer from the dozen or so assembled soldiers. Thankfully I was able to hide my distaste for his words.

After they calmed down a bit, they settled into their own conversations; my time to leave. I got Sgt. Keri to fill my mug again and left, heading to the manor that was behind a statue of some hero of the city.

As I walked in, my headquarters had already been well set up. Several scribes were working on the reports that we would be sending back to the King.

I saw Walsh standing by a desk, and motioned him over. "Have the initial reports been sent yet?"

"No need sir, we already received additional orders from the Jarl Council. They want us to march west as soon as able and take a stronghold."

"Well, I wish I could be happier about this. Any details on it?"

"It is a manned stronghold, and they have numerous watch towers that will give them good warning of our approach. It would be risky to do this, given they have at least several hundred troops there."

"This is war, there is only risk." I said sighing heavily as I looked at the map for the region that we were able to get from the Dukes office. "Black Keep, sounds like a wonderful place to be."

"Indeed, sir."

"That wasn't all there was, was it Walsh?"

"Nope. After we secure the 'Black Keep' we will stay only long enough to ensure the 1st Royal Army can safely use the passage; since it seems its the only direct route for several dozen miles in either direction. We are ordered to then proceed further west and assault a port city."

"Is that all? Just take three key locations in less than as many months, no problem."

"I'm afraid it does get worse sir. That city is Svellaros." His face must've been better than mine at that moment because frankly I was shocked. We had close ties to Svellaros due to it being a trade hub and direct distributor of several cities products.

"The Council is a bit upset aren't they?"

"Well, they did try to poison the king in the middle of a ball on his birthday."

"Well Walsh, we will deal with it when we get to it. As of right now, we will have a day of rest, then the morning after next, we will start marching west. We should reach Black Keep in less than a week I believe."

I stood up and looked at those who had gathered, slowly Sergeants and sub-commanders filtered in. When a majority had arrived, I told them of our orders. "Tonight celebrate, tomorrow we prepare. Dismissed."

"Seyrah!"

8/11/2016 10:15:19 PM #3

Chapter 3

"How are you doing sir?" A Captain Skunling asked, he was also riding a horse, a thoroughbred specifically. As a soldier, I would much prefer walking than becoming bow-legged and having an aching backside. Me and the horse never seem to have come to an agreement that we should tolerate one another; it is more I tolerate her and she acts like a pain in my ass. Can't complain though, I'm riding and 1,000 Brothers and Sisters are walking.

"Besides the fact we've been on the road for 4 days now, just fine. How is moral?"

"Good, they are riding on a high from our last victory. Of which by the way, the council sends their congratulations on such a decisive victory."

"Let's keep our minds forward. We will probably have to face a sizable garrison at the Black Keep, if they don't come out to face us first." I was about to continue, but a rider fast approaching over a hill caught my attention. I rode forward, gesturing to Walsh to halt the column.

With me rode two of my personal guards, one wielding a sizable halberd and the other wearing two long swords with a long curved blade. Jess, the one with the swords, said she had bought them from a merchant who hailed from a desert country.

As I came to a stop, I could see clearly that it was in fact one of the scouts we sent ahead.

"Seyrah," he spoke as he came to a stop, bowing his head slightly as he did.

"Report."

"First watch tower is just a couple miles away sir. Over two hills and around a copse of trees."

"How soon will we be spotted at this rate?"

"The trees are tall, they'll shield our approach until we round them. The tower itself is on another hill about a half mile past the trees. With two visible sentries on top, archers probably. I would suspect a fast messenger or pigeons to be there as well with maybe half a dozen guys inside."

"Good job, go back and get some food and drink if wanted. Philip, spread the word that we will make a stop here. No tents or fires, but let them get some rest."

"As you say." He turned and rode off to the nearest sergeant.

"Jess, go and tell Walsh to get a quick inventory of the wagons."

"Seyrah," she said as she turned to find Walsh.

I dismounted my horse and loosened the girth strap. She neighed appreciatively. Other generals had massive armored trisons for their mounts, but I much preferred the grace and pride of the horse. I let her start eating some grass as I walked towards the hill. In the distance I could just make out the faint grey smoke from the watchtower's fire against the sky.

"You sent for me?"

"Yes," I said turning to face Walsh. "How many wagons could we afford to potentially sacrifice?"

"Uh, sacrifice? None." At an annoyed looked from me he continued: "However, if we move some things around, we might be able to spare three wagons."

"That should be enough, have people start to move the items around, and make 2 of those wagons look like they were attacked."

"As you, um, say sir." I couldn't help but smile at his misunderstanding.

"Be where you enemy least expects you Walsh."

8/11/2016 10:25:13 PM #4

I've just spotted this, really enjoying reading it so far! I look forward to the next update.

PS: I like Walsh. I think there should be more of his character :D Hehe.

Penny for the bard

8/11/2016 10:44:33 PM #5

Posted By Aubriella at 5:25 PM - Thu Aug 11 2016

I've just spotted this, really enjoying reading it so far! I look forward to the next update.

PS: I like Walsh. I think there should be more of his character :D Hehe.

No Problem :) I plan on putting out at least 2 chapters a day for the next week or so.

I'll be sure to put more of Commander Walsh in, consider it my penny for the bard ;) Love your stuff too by the way.

8/11/2016 10:59:46 PM #6

Wow, that's fast. I can't wait!

PS: Yay for more Walsh.

Penny for the bard

8/12/2016 5:07:05 AM #7

Chapter 4

The wagon rocked back and forth on the dirt road, it had rained in the morning so no dust was getting kicked up. They had set off after several hours rest ahead of the army.

"Sir, I understand why you'd send me on this mission, but why must you come yourself?" Walsh asked from the drivers bench of the wagon.

"Because, I want some action, that why. Plus it gives me an excuse to lay down on the job."

"But that doesn't mean you have to act wounded."

"Maybe not, but I can't walk around with you guys, the others act too formal and rigid around me. Plus, I think that horse was getting ready to kick me."

"Your horse was not getting ready to kick you."

"That's what you think. You don't see the way she acts. You make a rude comment about her or doubt her? Suddenly my journey gets a lot more bumpy."

"Maybe that's because you never properly learned how to ride a horse, a mule yes; but not a horse." Walsh added, which earned a nice glare from me to the back of his head. I knew he was smirking too because he head would rise a little bit. He could be insufferable at times, which is why he was my second-in-command. I couldn't help but shake my head.

"Doesn't matter anyway, I'm going to let you do all the talking, since you used to live on the border you can pass as a citizen."

"That's the plan sir. Now we will be rounding the bend shortly so I suggest you lay back down and assume the position of a poor injured man."

"You're lucky that i'm injured or I'd be knocking you upside your head." A heartbeat or two passed and as if on queue, all talking stopped.

We got closer and closer to the watchtower, the tension was palpable. Which was made worse by the damnable humidity. It seemed like they were just going to let us by, until they saw some of us wounded in the back of the wagon. They ordered us to halt, at which Welsh went to work. It was a tense several minutes as several soldiers came walking around to inspect our caravan. It was quiet for a couple minutes, I had to resist the impulse to reach for my weapon.

"What do you mean you can't let us go on!" I suddenly heard Walsh yell. Apparently things were going south, lovely.

"I don't care if you say there is a Vornair army marching this way, of which by the way, is the biggest load of shit I've ever heard. Get your wagons turned around an-" cut off before the man could finish, we all knew it was time. I sprang for a hidden dagger while the two soldiers sitting on the edge of the cart grabbed a Guard from behind and quickly killed him. A soldier was trying to sneak behind these two who were making sure the guard wouldn't be moving any time soon.

I jumped out, tackling the guard to the ground. He went to slash at me, but I jammed my dagger into his forearm; forcing him to drop his sword. Then I grabbed his head and gave it a hard twist to the right, snapping his neck.

Just like that, it was all over. One of my soldiers had ran inside, he incapacitated a young girl who had released a messenger pigeon. The element of surprise would be lost.

I glanced around, saw one of my soldiers covered in blood, of which she was trying to wipe off her face. "Hey Vakera, you alright?"

"Yes Sir, just got the guys neck vain is all. Blood went all over the place."

"Not asking if I am okay sir?" Walsh called over with a stupid grin on his face.

"Of course not Walsh, I knew you'd be fine." He was after all the best damn fighter I knew, even this proved it. After slamming his hidden dagger through the back of the neck of the Guard Captain, he drew said Captains' sword and fought of three guards at once.

As Walsh would tell the junior soldiers that night, who might have gotten him a little drunk. He parried one guards sword and grabbed the shoulder of the another, so when the first guard stumbled after the parry, his sword went into his comrade. Then Walsh followed through by nearly cutting the neck off of the first guard. With his other hand he yanked the sword out of the still shocked second guard, and used it to cut the leg off of the third guard with a hard swipe, taking the first blade and driving it back up into the second guard. Then he calmly stood and took the sword that he had removed from the second guards body and shoved it through the heart of the third one on the ground.

And he still had the gull to look at me, smile, and ask such a question. It is why I keep him around though. He comes from north Vornair where it is said some men get a talent for what they call "Berserkers Blood". They lose themselves to the fight, let the weapons take over; at least they say anyway. Every time I have faced him in a fight, I have always lost.

I exited the command tent and looked around. The men were enjoying their potential final supper. Tomorrow would would be just 5 hours march from the Black Keep.

I look upwards in the sky, and a shooting star catches my eye. I had always studied astronomy as a hobby, so I was more than a little surprised when the the shooting star seemed to trace a line from my birth star, to another star. Not one that I knew, granted. But one who had studied further in astronomy and astrology might. I made a note in a booklet on me to look it up later as I retired to my tent to make plans for the coming battles.

8/13/2016 2:38:57 AM #8

Chapter 5

"How you doing Walsh?" He only chose to regard me with a annoyed glare. "It's your fault, you got too drunk last night. Somehow they found out you had a weak spot for wine." He just hung his head and slouched even lower in his saddle.

They had already been marching for 3 hours and had met no resistance. When the watchtowers would spot us, they would light their signal fires. This would send thick grey smoke into the sky. By the time we would reach the tower they would have abandoned it.

While it was nice to not to have to deal with annoying attacks, but the apprehension of what was ahead of us was getting to the troops. The initial adrenaline surge of the first watchtower had long faded, and the troops were tired and nervous.

Ahead of us, another tower went up in flames, we couldn't even see it. They must be able to hear us coming, or saw some dust. As we crested the rise, we learned that was not the case.

It took me only a second for me to make out the banners and then the sigil on the banners. I had no idea who they were, but that was cause enough to worry. I grabbed horn and gave a quick blow followed by a much longer one. I stopped my horse and handed my horn to Walsh. Within seconds my soldiers were jogging in front of us and forming battle ranks. It took just a couple minutes for all the Legion to form up.

We never really embraced a uniform weapon for our troops. Most carried long or short swords. Varying types of shields from a round shield to the much larger kite shield. Most of the archers were using long bows, but some were using short or re-curve bows.

Sitting behind the soldiers was a small compliment of Calvary. A dozen thoroughbreds with armor and there were four armored trisons. Those beasts could sense the tension, and they were stomping their feet and snorting, ready for the action of the day. The caravan that we had with us stayed well away and out of sight.

The tension rose as our two armies stared at each other. So, he who dares, wins. "Forward march, half step, widen formation by a half a length." Walsh sounded the horn. One long blast to signal the march, then 1 quick one to signal half step. For the half-step he used a different horn this one coming in at a much higher pitch than the deep bass of the commanders horn.

From across the field, the sounds of drums could be heard, and their army started advancing as well. The ground seemed to shake with the rumble of steps. "Walsh, give me the horn. Go back to the wagons and send a pigeon that we have been engaged by a force approximately nine miles from the stronghold."

"Seyrah" was his only reply, not that I waited to hear one. I rode over to the where the cavalry were sitting. "Commander Falcor, are your men ready for battle?"

"We always are sir!" He replied with a confident smile. His men let out whoops and cheers in agreement with what he said.

"Do you think you can send off the horses to go all the way around and to the hill there just to the south of us."

"No problem, right boys?"

"No problems sir."

"Alright then" I began looking to the one who had spoken up. "How fast can you get around?"

"How fast do you need sir?"

"Five minutes or less." He seemed to mull this over a little, trying not to look at his comrades.

"Should be no problem sir."

"Then get moving."

"Seyrah!" They yelled, and turned and went back over the hill we came.

"What about us sir?" Falcor asked me.

"I want you to go to the northern flank, and go up on the hill but not over. Then ride along it and hit them in the side with a full charge. Try to do it close enough to our troops so they can support you. Or you can go at the rear and do sweeping passes."

"It will be done! Seyrah!" And they road off, the ground shaking beneath their animals. I road my horse forward, into a gap large enough for my thoroughbred to have enough room to walk. Walsh would give me hell later, saying an old man like me shouldn't be up here. Old? I'm not even 55 yet.

I pulled my sword from hits harness, its blade was long and long curve to help with swinging from a horse. When it became obvious I was riding towards the front, a cheer spread through my soldiers. Growing louder by the second. Before long they were chanting various things.

"Vor-nair! Vor-nair! Vor-nair!" This chant became the overall theme. Slowly, the armies had advanced towards each other. Now they were no more than 100 yards apart. Soon, the Calvary would be coming on the flank. It was time to get the show started.

I said my sword high above me and shouted "For Vornair! Charge!" Walsh who was just getting back from the wagons saw what I was doing, and sounded the charge with the horn as well. The enemy responded well, charging at us with weapons ready.

I look to the far right, the trisons were making an angle for their attack. I could see dust on the left from the dozen horses, they would be cresting any moment.

I kicked my foot hard into the flank of the thoroughbred and she took off. The hooves kicking up dirt and sounding with a strange melody. I would hit the front line at the same time as the other soldiers. I covered the distance is just seconds, the horse increasing the height of the steps to knockdown anyone in front of her.

I pulled my blade back and launched my arm into a swing just as the fronts were colliding.

8/14/2016 7:43:25 PM #9

Chapter 6

The world erupted with the sounds battle. My focus became nothing more than survival; kill or be killed. Battles happen in a blur of intense focus. Swinging my sword left and right, blocking, the occasional rearing of the horse to knock people back.

Overall the battle went nice, at least that's what I was told. I blacked out after receiving a deep sword wound to the leg. When I was told my reaction was one of embarrassment. I thought I had feinted on the horse.

Apparently, that isn't what happened. I got off my horse, and engaged in ground combat. My men around me, spurred by my sudden fire, pushed harder as well driving a deep wedge into the enemy front.

On the south side, The dozen Calvary had made huge dents in the enemy flank, doing hit and run attacks all along that side. The trisons on the northern flank did much better. The enemy wasn't equipped to deal with such beasts. When they hit, they killed dozens in one pass.

Walsh rode his horse into battle, jumping in on the southern side, using two long knifes to fight. According to witnesses, he alone racked up at least a dozen kills.

After about 10 minutes, when the outcome became obvious, the enemy general sounded the retreat on the drums. Soon the remnants of their army faded. Its a weird thing, I don't remember anything from the battle except watching the enemy retreat, and making eye contact with the opposing general, who was riding a trison. Then, i woke up in my tent with a the same nurse, who I had met what seemed a life-time ago, working on my leg.

"So, we met again priestess". I said with a winch of pain as she tightened the bandage around my leg.

"I shouldn't be surprised that you were reckless enough to get injured."

"It's war, this happens; its an occupational hazard."

"Well, this occupational hazard almost got you killed, you had lost a lot of blood. Lucky for you one of your men noticed your wound and made you lay down."

"Well, I thank you for taking the time to tend to my wounds, but there is always another fight. If not me, then someone else will be in command."

"Typical soldier." The priestess said with a bit of disgust.

"General not soldier. I don't want anyone else to command my troops."

"If that is what you want to tell yourself, fine; but you'll miss the battlefield when you have to leave it. Anyway, I must tell Mr. Walsh that you are awake." And with that, she rose and left the tent. I sat up and tested my leg real quick. Pain went shooting up through it. I heard movement outside the tent and quickly sat back down.

Walsh comes looking at me like a concerned mother hen. "Well you're looking pitiful!" He flashed a large smile when he said this.

"Yeah yeah. Give me the details Walsh."

"Well, we have over 300 injured and 200 dead. We think a majority of the dead will be able to return through the astral plane. So, we are expecting less than 50 actual dead."

"Well, it could have been worse. What about the enemy?"

"Well, we don't have any definitive numbers, but under 700 were killed and injured. We're tending to their injured as good as we can, but some might die. Though this is the perfect segue. We actually just received someone from the army we faced." Walsh was going to say more, but I felt the need to cut him off.

"Send him in." Walsh wanted to say more, but held his tongue.

In came walking a man, who was wearing simple clothes. He stopped in front of me and knelt with his head down.

"No need to bow to me, I am not your lord or commander."

"As you wish sir." He paused and looked back to me and i nodded for him to continue. "We would like to collect our dead is all."

"Granted, Walsh have a couple of our wagons help transport them under a flag of truce".

He bowed again and said thank you. Walsh gave me a look but I didn't give it any credence. I stood up, using a chair to study myself. The priestess just shook her head. "I suppose I have to tell you to get bed rest?"

"I already got plenty of bed rest."

"Sir, you really should sit down at least." I turned and regarded her.

"Sir? Well, I suppose that makes sense. You don't know my name do you?" She went to respond then stopped herself.

"No, I'm afraid not." She said clearly embarrassed.

"Well it's fine, since I do not know your name either." I stopped at the tent flap. "I am General Mobius Stolz."

"I am Priestess Faylinn, please to meet you." She said doing a curtsy.

"Glad to meet your acquaintance." And nodded as I left. The first people to see me were my two personal guards, who I had left at the caravan. They probably felt terrible, like they had failed their duty. Soon a large crowd had gather to give me well wishes and to see me up.

Yes, there would be more battles and others who could lead them into those battles. But these were my men, who give themselves to me. I would not leave them now.

8/14/2016 10:29:33 PM #10

Really enjoying reading this - I can't wait for the next chapters!

Plus, yay for more Walsh! ~waves flag~

Penny for the bard

8/16/2016 12:35:12 AM #11

interesting... Very Interesting... Prediction Welsh Dies but yea great job death.

8/16/2016 5:41:53 AM #12

Posted By SirPuffles at 7:35 PM - Mon Aug 15 2016

interesting... Very Interesting... Prediction Welsh Dies but yea great job death.

Yoda... Why am I not surprised :P.... Dangit.... I should've given you my friend code >.>

8/16/2016 7:35:08 AM #13

Chapter 7

The next few days were annoyingly slow and tedious. Mostly administrative work and walking around to recuperate my leg. Walsh had also been correct in that we had 37 souls who did not return from their journey on the astral plane.

Apart from that, the assistance in helping the Arthosians with their dead and wounded went smoothly. We assist in the general welfare for those who had fallen, and they were grateful for the priests from the Children of Mann for their prayers and healing.

I also met with the general of the Arthos army that we had fought. She was Kip Stiglend commander of the 3rd Royal Infantry Regiment.

We made a gentlemen's agreement to have a one week cease fire. This would allow them to tend to their wounded, evacuate all civilians, and bury any dead.

We were also briefly met with a detachment from the Royal Engineer Corps, who were bringing extra supplies for us. As well, there are assigned to us to assist in the potential sieges Black Keep and Svellaros.

As well, they brought with them various equipment such as a dozen ballistae. A newer technology that will eventually replace catapults, what they're calling a trebuchet.

They also delivered a weapon I had costume ordered from a blacksmith a while ago. I named it 'Leben', it was a double bladed long sword joined with a common hilt. This made the weapon heavy and long, but thanks to the special hilt design, and a handle, I can swing it with ease without endangering the horses neck.

Soon however, the week was up and we began marching. We sorting the worst of the injured into wagons to help their recovery, but most were able to make the march. We had set off mid afternoon, and even at the easy pace we took, we sighted the walls of Black Keep well before sundown.

By the time it was night, we had a full camp set up. The keep itself was only a mile or two away, but they could still see us, which was the idea. We were hoping it would have a moral impact on the enemy. Since we had gotten such good rest, I ordered catapults made through the night, and the siege equipment set up. Come morning, there were 8 catapults being put up, they would be done around noon.

Once they were set up. I sent a messenger asking if all civilians had been evacuated, and if not they may do so now. As well, I had them ask if they would wish to surrender the stronghold.

When the rider returned, I was informed that There were a couple of civilians that refused to leave, but the majority had. As well, to no surprise, they turned down the request for surrender. So, in the fading light, we started moving into position.

We were a bit more than half a mile from the stronghold where we set up. I ordered the troops to get plenty of rest.

6 hours later, I ordered the attack to begin. The Engineer corps in the night had carted up their supply of boulders as well as ones they had been retrieved from the surrounding area. The result was a large supply of boulders.

It took a little trial and error, but the engineers were able to zero in on the stronghold, and soon began making constant hits. We took a break for an hour around lunch to eat food, then began firing again. This went well into the night. I also kept the trebuchets firing all through the night. In the morning, they had to stop to grab more boulders. The catapults still had more for about an hour or two of firing.

The stronghold, still looking impressive, was covered in holes, dents, cracks, and general hell. A fire had started towards the end of morning, which they had to deal with.

I decided to do something decidedly stupid.

I had my scribe write up a quick contract, hopped on my horse and with no weapons on me, holding a banner with a white flag on it. Rode to the front gate of Black Keep.

The soldiers were quite unsure of what to do, and with what seemed like 20 or 30 minutes, Commander Kip emerged from the door.

"Commander," I began as I kept my eyes right in hers, smiling as I spoke, "I won't keep you long. I have no wish to cast more bloodshed. I respect you as a fellow general. We made an agreement before, and I wish to do one now; though more official." I paused and held the scroll up in my hand. Her eyes were watching behind me, and as I looked, I saw that my army was preparing to storm the castle should the need arise.

"One moment madam." I turned my horse and did a few hang gestures. Eventually, thankfully, Walsh got the idea and ordered everyone to back down. "Sorry about that, I didn't really tell anyone what I was doing."

"Not sure if I should call you brave or stupid." She responded.

"Bravery, is just well timed stupidity." I noticed then she had began to pull her sword out. "You need not worry, I carry no weapons on me." I pulled my cloak up and showed her my sides as well as pulling up my sleeves.

"If you wish to kill me, you may do so. However, you'll be sealing the fate of everyone inside, including yourself." I sighed as I looked at her; she was a stubborn one.

"The terms are simple, leave the fort. Pile all weapons out here as you leave, and we will not harm you in anyway." She took several moments to ponder, looking back towards the gate as she did.

It was then I noticed several details. One, the amount of bows aimed directly at me. Two, how young many of the faces were. Chances were, the previous engagement had been their first. Also, closer up the fort was in a worse state than I had thought. All the wooden buildings had either been crushed or burned in the siege.

The walls as well, were in a poor state. It looked as if they might fall over in several points. The keep had several holes in the walls, and I could see into the main hall, were a ton of injured were being kept.

"I wish you would accept. I have no wish to hurt those in the keep further. If you decline, I can't say with any amount of certainty that the keep won't collapse. Just from what I see here, A good number of souls would be lost." I looked from the door back to Commander Kip. Her face looked tormented my loss of pride and guilt. Eventually, after a couple more minutes of silence, she barked an order.

I looked up, and saw the archers reluctantly standing down. She held out her hand, and I handed her the document with a quill. She signed her name and rank. Once that was done the surrender was official.

She then undid her sheath, and handed me her sword. I pulled it out and examined its long blade closely. It was the work of eastern craftsmanship, the long curved blade made for stabbing through armor or slicing open skin with ease.

Though I looked at her and smiled and got off my horse. Then turning the blade around and handing it to her hilt first. She regarded me for a moment.

"Why?" She asked with a hurt look on her face.

"Simple, I did not defeat you in battle. If I had, I could easily accept that sword with pride and a sense of accomplishment. As well, it would only be insulting you. You're doing this to keep your men alive for another day, as is your duty to them. I could not in good conscience accept this knowing that, keep your honor." She was really taken aback by this and took a few seconds to absorb what I had just said.

She then bowed deeply saying thank you and, to my astonishment, gave me a quick hug before returning to her fort. It is something I would never understand.

I got on my horse and rode back to my lines, where Walsh was waiting.

"Are you bloody insane? What was that all about?"

"I was getting the surrender of the 3rd Arthos Royal Infantry Regiment." I replied, handing him the document. He was speechless, which I savored because it never happens. "Have two dozen men go down and act as guards to make sure they follow what it said. All soldiers leaving the Black Keep are to deposit their weapons outside. Except for Commander Kip, who I allowed to keep her weapon."

He just stood their staring at me for several seconds before responding. "Is that all?"

"Yup, they will leave the stronghold and we will not harm them."

"As you say, seyrah." With that, I announced the news in the center of camp just minutes later. It was met with a round of cheer, I leaned heavily on the effects of siege and detailed the high damage to the stronghold.

Within the hour, a procession could be seen leaving the keep. Commander Kip leading a column of soldiers, walking two abreast, depositing their weapons on either side of the road. They took the flag of the Black Keep with them, and had it flying right behind Kips horse. I stood off to the side away from the commotion watching to make sure it went smoothly. Once the wagons started coming out I turned and went to my tent.

Once there I wrote a report to be sent to the Council about the capture of Black Keep. Though I would not report it, I was thankful that none of the soldiers in the Keep ended up getting mortally injured. The best way to win a battle was with no deaths, today was a day where I could be proud of that fact.

8/17/2016 3:31:50 AM #14

Chapter 8

We were at the Black Keep for a week waiting for auxiliary corp to arrive. They would man the fort while we moved onto taking the next target. I also received to reports of interest. One stated that the 1st Royal Army would pass through just a couple days after the auxiliary arrives.

More importantly for me, I received information about the overall battle plan. Our attack on the border city was simple shock tactics. Our overall strategy of attack was for us to secure Svellaros. Which seemed a little odd, but we had learned through our intelligence network that they have a massive stockpile of weapons there. We are supposed to get there and shut down their docks to prevent any from getting in or leaving.

My men were thankful for the down time, mostly. Since the stronghold was in such a state, instead of regular exercise I had them rebuilding the stronghold. The engineer corps was a huge help here as well.

In a surprising amount of time, the engineer corp was able to streamline the framing for the housing. By the end of the week, 3 houses had been put up, and the major gaps in the walls had been filled.

Once the Auxiliary corps had arrived, my men had their rest. For two days they did regular exercises, cleaned their equipment and recuperate.

Two days later, right on time, the 1st Royal Army arrives. By that time, my army had moved into a tent city outside the stronghold to allow the auxiliaries to move into the stronghold itself. The day they arrived they camped out as well.

That same night I spoke to the Raeli Fitzrio, commander of the 1st Royal Army. I had heard he was a man of few words, and I was surprised at how true that was. He must have not said more than 3 or 4 sentences while I talked to him. I learned that his group had no specific objective yet, and it was just to punch into the heart of Arthos.

He had not spoken the 2nd Royal Army's commander who, as far as we knew, had not been given an assignment as of yet. He then inquired about my roles, and was just as surprised as me when I told him it was Svellaros. He said nothing else after that. Overall, good man to drink with.

The same day the 1st Royal Army left, the 3rd Royal Army and I left. We set off with 37 less men and women than we began with, the wagon train had grown to over a dozen wagons, and we still had half of the Engineer corps with us. The other half stayed to finish the repairs to the stronghold.

I was never a very superstitious man; but as the sun set with a deep red tone, I couldn't help but feel a shiver down my spine. I couldn't help but wonder what will happen in the next week.

8/21/2016 4:03:14 AM #15

Chapter 9

They say no plan ever survived the meeting of an enemy, this is true. They also say that planning is crucial when meeting an enemy, this is also true. Granted, those are for battles but they apply to everything inside of an army; supplies and logistics for example. Marching towards Svellaros has been hell.

It is obvious what our objective is, we can't hide it. Especially when we are needed so that others may succeed. We are making about 10 miles day. The caravans catch up at the end of the day, they give their animals an easier pace so as to not tire them out in the beginning of the journey. We had been on this journey for little more than a week, but we still had at least another week of travel if nothing delayed us further. However, I was expecting it to take 2 weeks or even longer with all the troubles plaguing us. Wagons wheel had been getting broken, running into hostile wild animals, and raids from enemy soldiers.

Just yesterday we had to take down a wild trison, those things are scary on the battlefield, but at least they're controlled. A wild, pissed off, male trison is frightening. It took a little under half an hour to kill it. We had to stop there for the night because we had over a hundred wounded. Thankfully we didn't have any deaths.

In the night, we had a raid from soldiers. They set fire to one of our wagons, thankfully nothing of huge importance was lost. They attacked again, this time with fire arrows raining into the tent city. Only about a dozen tents were damaged, they were easily mended. None the less, the enemies harassment attacks were doing their job.

We had made camp just a little bit ago, we were gonna have double the watch sizes, with no fires on the inside of camp. The night had long overtaken, and I was beginning to hope we might get a good nights sleep.

I was polishing my armor when I heard Walsh's voice call in; "permission to enter?"

"Always friend," I called back, putting one of my bracers down on my blankets.

"I bring unfortunate news," he began he eyes gazing at me with a tired look. "Our patrol had an engagement near the north-end of the camp. They took one bad injury, he tripped in the confusion and his leg impaled on a broken branch. He'll need to ride till its good enough for constant weight. There were also two dead enemies were also found."

"Well, that is good! At least it went our way this time." I stood up and gazed at regional map on the table.

"It is good."

"I'm sensing a big but with that."

"yeah, but they were not dressed as soldiers. And they were at just at least 20 summers old. They also were wearing simple clothing." He looked up for a moment as if pondering what to say next. "As well, we did not find weapons on them. It also seems like the stories from the patrol are a bit confused."

"What do you think happened Walsh?"

"I think they happened on each other by chance. One in the fright, fell and impaled his leg. The others, thinking his cry and bloody leg was the result of an attack, retaliated. I ordered the bodies collected and tended to by the priests of Mann. They said the feel energy, so we're hoping the souls make there way back." I couldn't say anything for several minutes. I just sat down in my chair, and stared at the map of Arthos; my head resting on my fists.

"So, we might've killed two innocents who just happened to be in the wrong place or the wrong time?"

"I'm afraid so sir."

"Or," I began "We killed two young soldiers who were spying on us for their commander." I snorted in disgust and banged my fist on the table. "This is a shitty situation Walsh."

"I agree. It doesn't help that this is what it is; war." He walked over and grabbed a wine skin of mine, and poured two mugs. I took mine with a nodded thanks, and drank quietly.

The war map had only a slight change from the last time I had seriously looked at it in the Black Keep. The 2nd Royal Army had began to move, they would advance past the same city we first took in the opening of the war and try to secure a major trade hub on the eastern side of Arthos. This would, hopefully, open up a straight route from the east towards the capital of Arthos.

I was having a hard time processing all my thoughts, however I was cut short. Shouts of alarm could be heard from all around the camp. I stood up as an arrow went through the side of my tent and into my shoulder. This was made even worse by the fact it was on fire. I am proud to say, I did not yell out in pain. Though I did say, in my loudest whisper, a colorful string of words that I'm sure made my mothers soul blush.

"Walsh", I said between curses, "Get me a healer, quietly. And Order to chase those men down. I've had enough of this."

He calmly speed walked to the nearest healer, which was Priestess Faylinn. She couldn't stifle a gasp from my curse-filled talking. I glanced up and gave a short bark of laughter. "I apologize Priestess, you always seem to see my at my worst."

"Well General, I think in the situation you can be given a pass. But I'm afraid I don't know how to remove an arrowhead. If you want to come with me to Priest Loomis's tent, he knows how to deal with battlefield wounds like this."

"Just pull it out and patch it Priestess."

"I know enough that doing that will only make it worse." I did a heavy sigh, I was having a hard time controlling my rage. I could feel my face flooded with blood. I stood up and followed her out of my tent, where Walsh was waiting. Having heard the exchange inside, he fell in step beside me.

"Sir, I am happy to report that no one was injured." He did a quick glace and cleared his throat real quick. "Except for you, of course." I could only just growl a response.

I found my self wishing that the priests tent was closer. I knew it was impossible for me to not be seen with an arrow sticking out of my shoulder. Sure enough, I heard a soldier running past and practically trip with a gasp when he noticed the arrow. However, had the sense to not say anything when he saw my face. My soldiers rarely see me get upset, but they know from experience what I am like when I get well and truly pissed off. I knew once he gathered himself up and ran off he would be spreading the gossip around camp.

Finally we came upon the tent of Priest Loomis. Who took one look and ushered us inside.

"Sit over there and Faylinn cut the cloth from around the impact area." Both of us complied to his wishes. Soon I felt cool air tickling the wound. Though I let another sigh out; this was my favorite jacket. I heard Priest Loomis give Priestess Faylinn a few more orders. Soon, I felt a pressure on my back and a snap.

"Well, that was the easy part. Now pulling out the arrowhead itself will be the hard and painful part."

"Just get it Priest." He grunted barely listening to what I had said. I looked over and saw Priestess Faylinn heating metal on an open flame. Using the chance while I was distracted, he quickly reached in with a pair of pliers and ripped it out quickly.

"Son of a bitch to hell and high Luna!" I yelled out while slamming my fist into the table several times.

"Settle down commander." Loomis replied while Walsh was having trouble standing he was laughing so hard. Priestess Faylinn only stifled a giggle.

"General, I'll be honest. That did not make any sense." Walsh was now trying hard to stop laughing so hard, down on he hands and knees.

"I apologize for my outburst," Walsh said between heaves of breath. "It's just been so long since I've heard him loose his control like so!"

"I'm glad you're enjoying my pain, Walsh." At least Priest Loomis seemed to be unaffected, at least until he asked me a question.

"General, how long have you been in command?"

"Hmm, I think I've been command for a good 15 years I think? I'm not entirely sure; what do you thi-" This was cut off by a searing pain in my shoulder and a hard growl from me as I grit my teeth and took it. As soon as he removed the hot iron, he wiped a salve to help ease the pain on the newly formed scar before wrapping it in a bandage. Overall, this sequence had taken just a little more than 30 minutes.

When I emerged from the tent, the full moon in the sky was bright. I was greeted by a very unexpected but amazing sight. In the 30 minutes, a majority of the camp had formed up, ready to move. They had waited at perfect attention for me to come out. I gave them a strong salute. They all returned it with a rousing cry of "Seyrah!".

The leader of scouts that had tailed the aggressors. "Sir, we found where they came from, a town just a couple miles away."

"Lets move out, tonight we go hunting!"

"Seyrah!" With that, late in the night of the full moon, my army and I marched north to a small town. They would provide our supplies that we need, and we would stamp out these unhonorable fighters.

I Apologize for the long delay for the update. I had become busy in recent days. I hope those of you who follow along with the story enjoy this chapter, which I made a bit longer to make up for the lack of an update. Plus listening to Metallica radio is great writing music.