COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAN FICTION & ROLEPLAYING
A northern tailor

Backstory for Gudrun, I've decided she will be a member of the Brudvir tribe, so I'm in the process of editing it a little. criticism welcome.

Chapter 1

Gudrun sighed and stretched, brushing her flaming red hair out of her eyes. She put down the twenty-third fur hat she had made today and looked over at her father who sat on the other side of the fire. The muscles in her back were complaining about the hours she had spent hunched over. "Do you think mother and Barra will be home soon, papa?" She asked her father, in an effort to shoo away the heavy silence. He didn't look up from his work, repairing a heavy winter cloak.

"I don't know, child. We can only wait and hope they've found some game," he replied, tiredly. It was the wrong question to ask. She realised it as she stared at him, he was quite a bit skinnier now than he had been when she was little. The hunters of their small community had been struggling to find anything for the past three years and what little livestock they had, had long since ended in the cooking pot.

"About the market, can I go with you this time? Aunty told me Rob will be going." she tried again. If their clothes sold well and she got her allowance then she might have some money for some nice carvings or maybe if she was lucky a scroll or book. It would also get her out of the house for the first time in a long while. The weather had been getting colder and only the hunters had been seen outside for weeks.

"Finish your work and we'll see."

Gudrun stared down at the materials that would soon the be the twenty-fourth hat and grimaced. It was dull and repetitive work. Two more to go and she'd be able to start on the dress with the elaborate bird pattern their old Denleader's granddaughter had asked for. That was something to look forward to. She threaded her needle and returned to work. Starting to sing

"Stitch after stitch, thread after thread, make knotworks and beasts and hunting scenes, These patterns are made, with great reverence and love, To show off the strength of our pack.

Stitch after stitch, thread after thread. A wolf to run with you, so you're never alone,
May these furs I sew, guard against the harshest of storms. Day after day, I bind and I stitch, to keep my kin warm and safe"

She had just finished her song when there was a loud slam of the kitchen door and muffled voices and Gudrun quickly took the opportunity to escape from her task to welcome her mother and brother home.

"Mamma, Barra you're back, how was the-" she called as she walked to the kitchen. "What happened?" she asked, worried by their dark expressions. "The Owen boys. They're hurt bad," her brother told her as he took off his gloves "and there's no sign of Dryas Elk anywhere in the hunting grounds," he added. "Or much of anything else for that matter. It's all those damn newcomers fault. I don't see why you don't tell them to get out of our hunting ranges."

"Barra." their mother spoke quietly as she took her hat off, "Leave it. That's not for us to decide, leave it to the den leader."

"Do you think the Hunting might get better when the summer comes?" Gudrun asked uncertainly. Her mother remained silent as she adjusted her hair, the vibrant red most of the villagers had.

When he heard about the day's hunt. Her father blamed it all on the newcomers for allowing, nay even encouraging overhunting. The Neran were like that, spreading far and wide, growing huge towns and growing too big for the land to keep. The past few years had seen them climbing up into the mountains to hunt,

Some political blunder or other at the end of the last war some fifteen years ago had lead to the land on the edge of their territory being ceded to the Neran. There were more people living in the area than ever before and the new mayor there was power hungry and expanding as much as he could. The land's spirits couldn't support them all when the numbers grew too many for the hunting grounds, If that happened, the Dens were supposed to send some their young men and women off to find new homes elsewhere. Like my family had 6 years ago. That was the tradition It was being broken by these new, disrespectful, ignorant folk. They knew nothing of their ways and customs and believed in strange gods that couldn't possibly care about the lands her family had called home for generations.

Her brother was impatient and likely to take matters into his own hands to protect their precious lands if something wasn't done soon. He wasn't the only one. She had heard whispers of aunty Aithne making more than the usual amount of spears. Perhaps she should ask her mother to help her improve her dagger fighting, The leader meanwhile was busy speaking with the Bruégot, she didn't know the details but she suspected they were discussing a call to arms.

This individual is the type to climb a tree in a game, look down and still be too afraid to jump down, even while knowing it isn't real.

10/10/2016 12:58:14 AM #1

The bimonthly journey up to the market was long and uneventful. It took several days to get to the market that was being held at Needlespass den in winter. The journey back would be much quicker as it would be downhill most of the way. They arrived late in the afternoon and decided to wait until the next day before setting out their stalls. The family was eager to get in out of the cold for the night.

Gudrun got up early to help set up the stall with her father. By the time they had finished the market was already bustling with people getting an early start. Gudrun couldn't help but notice there was a subtle change in the air since the last time she had been allowed to come. She couldn't quite put her finger on what was different but she knew she wasn't the only one that felt it. The few children out were fractious, quick to bare their teeth and growl.

The thick hats she had spent days making were selling well. So were the antler-decorated cloaks. Her father had been right to demand she make such an insufferably large number. She slipped the coins of the latest sale into her pouch and hoped they'd make enough that she'd be granted some spending money. Her parents had told her it wasn't likely as they needed the extra to buy more food. The prices had gone up. "s'all those newcomers' fault" she muttered, thinking herself alone.

"Gudrun! Did you finish it for me? Is it ready? Oooi, pay attention!" a bright young girl i of ten or eleven was calling out to her excitedly. "Mind yourself, Astrid." A tall handsome woman stepped up and admonished her charge before raising an eyebrow at the girl who had been staring at her. Gudrun blushed and bowed;

"I have indeed, let me fetch them for you." Gudrun smiled shyly. She headed to the back of the stall and cambered into to her families old waggon to find the wrapped bundle. As she searched she mused on the woman she had just met. She was a handsome woman in businesslike leather armour that covered a cream ankle-length dress. When she moved the slit in the dress occasionally allowed a glimpse of her faun-coloured trousers, The lining on her cloak matched the white fur lining her boots. She knew immediately on seeing it that her outfit had cost no small amount. The woman had a dignified stance and the demeanor of one accustomed to being obeyed. Whoever could she be?

When she found the bundle she quickly returned to her customers. "The boots, cloak and dress, embroidered to match the bracers as requested," she informed them as she placed the bundle on the table in front of them.

"Oh, oh, let me see." the lady Astrid demanded, her eyes sparkling with youthful excitement. After giving the lady's companion an enquiring look and seeing her nod, Gudrun obligingly unwrapped the bundle and started laying out the items, including the bracer that was used as a reference. "I hope it matches your expectations, lady Astrid."

"It's perfect! thank you, you'll be rewarded generously. Don't you think it's good work cousin?" The woman in question was examining the garments carefully. "It appears good enough. Bring them to the household this evening. you will receive the payment then."

"Yes!" Gudrun placed her hand over heart in a brief salute and started to repack the apparel into a bundle, briefly noticing the young lady Astrid pick up the bracer and fasten it to her wrist. By the time she finished that the two were gone.

This individual is the type to climb a tree in a game, look down and still be too afraid to jump down, even while knowing it isn't real.

1/21/2017 6:09:34 PM #2

The day had been long and the business good, for once. She had taken the clothes to the Lady Astrid's home and been very impressed with what she saw. They had some beautiful carvings wood and stone, so much nicer than their simple log cabins back home. She had come back with a little more money than expected and a new request for some embroidered leatherwork, Her uncle Theran, in particular, showed strong approval when he heard; his manner of showing it, which involved ruffling her hair, left much to be desired in Gudrun's mind. She wasn't sure why he was so excessively pleased at first until she asked her Papa later, It seemed that while young, Astrid had shown a good sense for training animals and was better thought of than her rather shy older brother. It would be good for the family to improve ties with the future leaders of the area.

To her further surprise, they gave her a larger portion of the profits to spend than she'd had before. Perhaps because she was coming of age soon. She knew they'd be judging her by how she spent it, so most of it went on necessities for the family, some materials, and tools they needed and couldn't find locally The food had been taken care of but she still bought a little more and brought it back to the family before setting out to peruse the last few stalls for a little treat for herself.

Wandering around with the last few coins jangling she came across a stall selling oddments, Some rough jewellery, some bits and pieces from Neran and amongst them were some books and scrolls, some of them with some suspicious stains on them like they had been dragged through, mud, blood and snow. The language of most of them wasn't Northerner however and after giving the vendor a solemn look, she decided that she didn't care to ask about it. With a little determined haggling, she finally bought a slim book for her collection. Unlike the few bits and pieces she had gathered before this one was blank. An empty book to fill with ideas.

She was thrilled with her find, even if it was rather tatty looking. It was the first step on the path she longed to follow. Her family might think it silly and a waste of coin but this little book was the start of her journey to collect all the songs and tales in the world or at least all those of the Brudvir, She might even travel to learn some of the Hrothi's tales, that would be great, Oh and the Yoru! If she could ever find out how to find them. Well, before dreaming of faraway things, she should start closer to home and write down the songs she knew best. Shaking her head she put it away and headed back to her family waggon. They'd want her there to help pack. "Aunty Aithne, Cousin Rob, how did your business go? Are Papa and Uncle back yet?" She called out as she neared. "Well enough and No", Rob replied as he finished tieing down some leather coverings. "Be a dear and help me pack these." came from her aunt.

The Journey home

As she sat on the back of the wagon Gudrun opened her book to the first page and after a long pause and in big letters, she carefully wrote the words, 'A Gathering of Songs and Tales of a Northern Pack' by Gudrun. The first tale she wrote was called;

the Birth of the Pteroguin.

Long ago there was a lady living all alone. A huntress, beautiful and fair. One day when she was returning home she was charmed by the sight of a bird gliding alongside the cliffs. His colours were bright his eyes sharp and his heart as warm as the summer. He was as drawn to her as she to him. To them, a daughter was born. Neither fully bird nor fully mann she could run nor fly. Despite this; in her childhood years, she knew only love. Sadly their happiness was not to last. Mann came and settled the lands nearby. They came upon the family and were disgusted by them and killed the huntress and the bird. Their daughter fled and threw herself from a high cliff. Her wings lost their feathers as slowly fell to the ground. She was found by her father's kin who grieved for her fate. At first, they tried to help her but they failed to bring her peace and her feathers would not regrow. Her soul was too marred by hate and darkness. In sorrow, they banished her for she harmed all who came near. All alone the daughter climbed the cliff she had fallen from and there she hatched her children, born of her anger and hate, they were warped creatures and attacked all that came near, with their mother as their first victim. Their featherless wings strike fear in the children of Mann to this day.

She finished the first story with great care and looked at it thoughtfully. Should she add in the meaning to the tale or should she simply write the next one? Eventually, she settled at leaving the decision for another time. It had taken longer to write than she had thought. She was supposed to be helping setting up camp for the night. Gudrun braided her long hair as she hurried to her duties, praying she wouldn't get into too much trouble. Like a little girl she was sent to bed without supper that night. She couldn't help but feel wronged. She would be turning 15 soon.

3/19/2017 2:03:48 AM #3

Chapter 2

The beginning of summer, at an unearthly hour

"What's amatter? 'Time's it?" Gudrun mumbled as she was rudely awakened by her brother shaking her. He didn't bother giving her any explanation.

"Hurry up and move! Get dressed! " The urgency in his tone frightened her awake. He was wearing his hunting coat over some thick leather armour she'd never seen before.

"I'm up, I'm up, what's going on." Gudrun tried to jump out of bed only to get tangled and fall to the floor in a heap. Her brother was already running downstairs. Still feeling a little embarrassed over her fall she quickly pulled her clothes and coat over her nightgown and reached for her dagger before rushing down after him. She was met with a shocking scene.

Her aunty Aithne was bleeding all over the floor while waiting to be treated. She could hear shouting and the telltale flicker of firelight from outside. A few young children were crying loudly and Gudrun was shocked that she'd slept through the noise, she had always been a heavy sleeper but this was ridiculous.

"How could you be so stupid, the lot of you!" Her mother was growling before glancing up at her daughter. "Gudrun, gather the little ones, get yourselves up to Needlepass, tell them, tell them the plan failed, it happened too soon and we need help, Rob will go with you, Hurry."

"But what's going on?" She demanded, frustratedly.

"It's not the time, my little scribbler." her father spoke softly as he handed her her niece Rill, a year old and apparently the only other person able to sleep through the chaos. " We'll see you soon. Just take them and go, you must be safe." Gudrun looked up at him, intending to protest but with one look into his tired golden eyes, She found herself nodding. Barra handed her an axe and started pushing her to the door.

"How could we have known they'd increased their numbers!" Her uncle Theran protested in the background.

"That's not the point you shouldn't have-" was the last that Gudrun heard as she headed out of the backdoor with the children and baby Rill. It would take 2 days to get there in summer. She hoped they'd packed supplies, She spotted Rob waving at her by the waggon already on the road to Needlepoint. Glancing back as she got in, she noted in a distant way that Aunt Aithne's house was on fire and that she'd been hearing the occasional scream and animal cry.

She knew it would be some time before she got the details, Rob was clearly in no mood to talk. but she could already make a pretty good guess at what had happened. She counted the children into the wagon and got in last before closing the back as tightly as possible. "Ready," she called to the front as she gripped her axe so hard her knuckles turned white.