COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Login Authenticators?

I was thinking about account selling, gold farmers, etc. and how we can prevent those. I was thinking that login authentication (Keychain/cell apps) would be very beneficial to have on launch. Thoughts?

10/31/2016 11:26:21 AM #1

I don't think login authentication prevents any of the above, as authentication is ideally an optional measure.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

10/31/2016 11:38:16 AM #2

Login authentication would definitely greatly fight the hackers, so that they won't just take your account and sell all your in-game items. Also gold farming would be a lot more lucrative than it is in World of Warcraft, as this game there is no "safe" way to transfer in-game currencies/items without having the risk of being ambushed.

But I guess that is what people get for "cheating the game". Although with as many players are of the older audience, the demand for gold buying (or anything similiar) will hopefully be lowered.

However, as stated above, an authenticator should (in my opinion) be an optional but also recommended feature to use through in-game info/tips.

Salsa goes well with tacos. Also, tortilla isn't half bad.

10/31/2016 12:03:41 PM #3

I can't wait to see the gold farmers trying to send their little slaves to the designated recipient. I'm going to be that guy who has a serious patrol dedicated to killing gold farmers and looting their preciously farmed gold.

As for an authenticator, I like the idea and I personally use them every now and then depending on the game. They do help and definitely boost security but if a hacker is able to infiltrate your account via brute force or social engineering then he can easily spoof the authenticator in your account. I had it happen to me when I played Runescape 2 years ago, my authenticator was disabled by a hacker and my account stolen. Good riddance though. Lol

4/17/2019 6:31:42 PM #4

An authentication in some form would be very good to have. I've had too many friends in WoW have their accounts hacked. This would just be an extra layer of security that would help prevent your account from being hacked.

I have a Rocket Launcher. Your Argument is Invalid.

4/17/2019 7:24:56 PM #5

Where would one “farm” gold in a game like this? Killing endlessly respawning goblins won’t be a thing, so you’d be limited to doing something like mining a bunch of gold ore, refining it, casting it into coinage, and so forth, and that just sounds suspiciously like participating in the economy to me.

4/17/2019 7:25:40 PM #6

As for Gold farmers.... I have always hated them, but how do you stop them? You'll always have players who will pay real money to get an advantage over others. Even Kings in this instance. Wouldn't you pay $100 for a bunch of extra resources or in-game money to help improve your kingdom? So as long as there are players willing to spend real money the gold farmers will exist. All the devs can really do is record who trades large quantities of money or resources and if a gold farmer is caught punish those who purchased from them.

4/17/2019 7:43:49 PM #7

Posted By Huntsmaster at 2:24 PM - Wed Apr 17 2019

Where would one “farm” gold in a game like this? Killing endlessly respawning goblins won’t be a thing, so you’d be limited to doing something like mining a bunch of gold ore, refining it, casting it into coinage, and so forth, and that just sounds suspiciously like participating in the economy to me.

True, but it's the selling of gold/resources for real money. That doesn't fit into this world. It takes money and resources out of one area and gives it to another when no work was done. It basically steals it from one country and sells it to another for free so it doesn't give back to the economy. Plus, the gold farmers might set the prices to what they want and not what the economy of that area should be.

4/17/2019 8:37:33 PM #8

The email Authentication like ArenaNet has... I dislike the app / keychain. Seems every time I replace my phone I'm on a call to Blizzard for 90 minutes.

Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter backer #2!

4/18/2019 2:43:46 PM #9

Posted By LeadBaxton at 1:03 PM - Mon Oct 31 2016

I can't wait to see the gold farmers trying to send their little slaves to the designated recipient. I'm going to be that guy who has a serious patrol dedicated to killing gold farmers and looting their preciously farmed gold.

As for an authenticator, I like the idea and I personally use them every now and then depending on the game. They do help and definitely boost security but if a hacker is able to infiltrate your account via brute force or social engineering then he can easily spoof the authenticator in your account. I had it happen to me when I played Runescape 2 years ago, my authenticator was disabled by a hacker and my account stolen. Good riddance though. Lol

The good thing is that there is no safe places in Elyria. Kill on sight famers and bye bye <3

4/21/2019 5:34:25 AM #10

Caspian has been pretty clear that gold farming isn't going to be an issue since gold deposits don't respawn, and you can't farm for gold so it really isn't cost effective to even try to gold farm in CoE. As others have said, you'd have to mine it, process it, and transport it across a very large world that doesn't have a mail system and all of it will be a very time consuming and expensive process which will discourage gold farmers from playing.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.