COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
By the Power of Contracts...

(First off, I do want to say that I am not sure where this topic would be suitable to post. So feel free to correct me!)

Right, so. From what we have been told, contracts will be the thing that holds the world together. It will be contracts that form marriages. Contracts that pledges a noble to their king. Contracts that make a woman carry a child. So on and so forth. But one thing that I have yet to see discussed, is the breaking of contracts.

It is obvious enough that breaking a contract would incur a penalty, most likely written in the contract, much like in the real world. However, there has not been a discussion as to the train of events.

For example, say that a courier is hired by a noble to bring a letter to another noble. In the contract made between the noble and the courier, it states that the courier will be required to pay 100GP if he fails to deliver, and that he will be rewarded 100GP if he succeeds in delivery.

What then would happen if the courier instead of delivering the letter, decides to give it to a criminal cartel, that gives him a falsified letter in return. The courier then delivers the false letter... The question is... Would the courier be paid? Since from an outside perspective, the contract was completed. But in actuality it wasn't. So would the game give a little popup that says "This guy did bad." or somesuch? Or would it simply flow along? The deception being unknown to the nobles?

Similarly, what would happen if the courier were to simply up and leave for the hills? Turning to a life of banditry? Would gold simply vanish from his inventory due to him breaking the contract? Or would nothing really happen if the nobles didn't do anything? Similarly, what about falsified contracts?

All things considered, what I am essentially asking is: Will contracts be enforced by the game, or by the people?

11/6/2016 8:16:24 PM #1

gold does not simply vanish in CoE. if a contract is broken and you want to ensure the punishment, then you have to act. like going to the sherriff or headhunters, find the person, take the gold from them. if the person breaking the contract hides in the woods and is never found again, there is no punishment.

the thing with the contract getting fulfilled is a bit harder. i guess, contracts will be simple things between players. you get a contract to deliver a letter. you deliver a letter, give the guy you gave the letter the contract, he pays you. or he gives you something to show you have delivered and you go back and with the contract in hands, get your money. if no one knows that the letter was changed inbetween, nothing happens. but thats just my guess. i dont think, that you can put the Item ID or something in the contract. but it shouldnt be easy to exchange a sealed letter. and i would put my seal on relevant letters, if i were a noble. like press my seal ring on it. as long as no one else has my ring or a copy of it, i should be safe. obviously, if i found someone that makes copies of noble rings, i'd punish him, if i were a noble :P

Friend Code: 30EF47

11/7/2016 9:44:09 AM #2

While there are certain mechanics that could make falsifying a contract or letter a lot harder, there will be a great deal of trust involved aside from the active enforcement.

But on the other hand, what is worth more? A single reward for that letter or a long career with the royal couriers? Unless you are very impulsive, you are probably not going to exile yourself from civilisation unless it's about something extremely valuable.

Alt text

1/18/2017 10:02:59 PM #3

That is where reputation comes into play. I would not be handing a letter to anyone without knowing them a bit before or using a npc or pc family member to run letters for me. If you are sending a letter to family it was stated there would be a confidential way to do that in the game mechanics.