COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Cough, Turn White, Fall Out of the Chair: Our Last Moments in CoE

One day a teacher was asking the students in his class what their grandparents did for a living. He called on little Pat Murphy and ask, "Pat, what does your grandfather do for a living?" Pat Murphy replied, "Nothin'. He's dead." The teacher trying to keep the lesson going quickly asked, "Well, what did your grandfather do BEFORE he died?" Little Pat Murphy thought about it for a moment before replying, "Well, he coughed, turned white, and then fell out of the chair."

From what I understand, every spark of life allows a character to live anywhere from 10 to 14 months. Having a near-death experience that requires spirit walking reduces this time by a factor depending on how famous your character is. However, I have been unable to figure out just how dying occurs and what the moments before death are like in Chronicles of Elyria.

Is dying of old age something that happens all of a sudden? Are you in the middle of a quest or adventure and suddenly you "cough, turn white, and fall out of the chair" like Little Pat Murphy's grandfather? Is it something that happens during OPC scripting, so the next time you log-in you have to deal with being dead? Is it something the occurs with in-game cues where you have an approximate period of time to "set your affairs in order" like a 24 hour window? Do you become bedridden for a week, allowing you to appoint heirs, divide your wealth, or put into motion your dying machinations?

I am interested to hear how people think the last few moments or hours before death will be handled in CoE.